testtest

911 vs. Hellcat

AABigRick

Operator
Hello all, first time poster, not a newbie to pistols. I am a big springfield fan. Currently own a XD tactical chambered in .357sig which is likely the most accurate pistol I have shot.

Anyways I am looking at getting a smaller springfield for EDC and am stuck between the 911 and Hellcat. Does anyone have experience with both of these guns that would recommend one over the other and why?, besides magazine capacity. I am definitely going to get 9mm as I have good recoil management. I have fat round hands and about .5 inch of my hand sticks off my full tactical XD.

I like the 911 because I do like that it has a thumb safety and external hammer, I am looking at possibly pocket carry and those the safety comes into my mind. The hellcat I like the option of going with an osp but no thumb safety and I have heard several issues about the trigger. I do like a good crisp trigger.

Any thoughts comparing these guns besides the magazine capacity is appreciated.

Thanks,
BigRick

I have 2 911s in .380ACP, and my FDE Hellcat is expected later this week. Don't have a 911 in 9mm, but went for the Hellcat instead, just because. However, my recent experience with Striker Fired pistols has me definitely rethinking my stance. One issue that I haven't had to deal, until now, is with light primer strikes. It's easily resolved with any of my hammer fired pistols, but a real pain with strikers...except for the Taurus G2C with restrike capability. I'm not aware of the Hellcat running into this issue, but I'll know for sure before too long.

I have 2 911s in .380ACP, and my FDE Hellcat is expected later this week. Don't have a 911 in 9mm, but went for the Hellcat instead, just because. However, my recent experience with Striker Fired pistols has me definitely rethinking my stance. One issue that I haven't had to deal, until now, is with light primer strikes. It's easily resolved with any of my hammer fired pistols, but a real pain with strikers...except for the Taurus G2C with restrike capability. I'm not aware of the Hellcat running into this issue, but I'll know for sure before too long.

Got it, thanks for the reply, thats something I never thought of though, I dont think I have ever had an issue with striker fired pistols albeit they all have been full sized or just slightly compact in size.

You definitely need to hold a hellcat before you buy. I tried one on for size and with my fairly large hands my pinky hung off the bottom even with the extended mag. I have the same issue with my pps m2 and my xd mod 2 subcompact 45, but the walther and xd still feel good in my hand and the hellcat definitely didn't.

If your hand overhangs a full size it’s going to engulf the 911. It’s an awesome little pocket gun but the grip is short and thin. I have long (but not necessarily thick) hands and I can shoot the 911 easily. But my hand doesn’t hang over a full size either. I love my Hellcat with the pinky extension and it would be much more likely to fit your hand, especially with the extended mag. Strongly suggest you hit up a store with both and hold before you buy.
Below is a size comparison of my 4 brothers, Snap, Crackle, Pop, and Pew.

Attachments

• 35405864-1885-4C19-B367-2202FBB92B0D.jpeg
    35405864-1885-4C19-B367-2202FBB92B0D.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 751
If your hand overhangs a full size it’s going to engulf the 911. It’s an awesome little pocket gun but the grip is short and thin. I have long (but not necessarily thick) hands and I can shoot the 911 easily. But my hand doesn’t hang over a full size either. I love my Hellcat with the pinky extension and it would be much more likely to fit your hand, especially with the extended mag. Strongly suggest you hit up a store with both and hold before you buy.
This is Hellcat vs 911. Laying grip over grip they look like they have similar sizes but with the backplates lined up you can see the difference much more clearly.

Attachments

• 19634ECA-2741-4F87-9E6B-E7C7AF805887.jpeg
    19634ECA-2741-4F87-9E6B-E7C7AF805887.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 1,278
Thanks for the size comparison photos

Everyone here has been very helpful, it is greatly appreciated.

I went to two stores today, neither of them had any Springfields. Id prefer to not have to go to a big city to find one. Time to make a bunch of phone calls first.

Are they not able to order them in? The two local firearm stores that I have used typically never have the Hellcat in stock because they fly off the shelf, but they will order it in upon request and hold it for you.

If you like a good trigger...you’re not going to be fond of the Hellcat.

I’m assuming your XD has an aftermarket trigger?
While the stock trigger on it isnot great by any means its better than many that I have shot. Im extremely accurate with it and thus because of the results and no major issues I have left the stock trigger on it. I had a service sig p229 and while i shot great with it that trigger was annoyingly long and hard to learn for me.

Do you like the trigger on the 911 better than the hellcat, better enough to prefer the 911 over the hellcat? Though i can always try for a new trigger if anyone has had success with afternarket triggers for hellcat?

I have shot a Hellcat, but not a 911, but I did own a Kimber Micro 9 which is the same size gun as the 911. I like the Hellcat better overall, but really can’t say till I try the 911.

While the stock trigger on it isnot great by any means its better than many that I have shot. Im extremely accurate with it and thus because of the results and no major issues I have left the stock trigger on it. I had a service sig p229 and while i shot great with it that trigger was annoyingly long and hard to learn for me.

Do you like the trigger on the 911 better than the hellcat, better enough to prefer the 911 over the hellcat? Though i can always try for a new trigger if anyone has had success with afternarket triggers for hellcat?

Haven’t shot the 911, but I’ve shot the Sig and Kimber predecessors, and yes, I’d say they have a better trigger than the Hellcat...more akin to a 1911. Short take up, clean break, short reset.

I have 911s and I have Kimbers. The Micro 9 is my current carry pistol 90% of the time. That said, if the trigger of the 9mm version of the 911 is anything like the trigger on the 911 380s, then I would definitely get the 911 9mm. The Kimber triggers are much like any SA 1911, short, crisp, very short reset. Just sweet all around. But the Springfield 911 trigger is even better. I didn’t get one because I didn’t like my Micro 9, I got one because I really like the styling and features of the 911.
Nonetheless, I convinced myself I needed a Hellcat...if I was wrong, I’ll have to live with it a while, as I’m well over my firearms budget for the year.

I have 911s and I have Kimbers. The Micro 9 is my current carry pistol 90% of the time. That said, if the trigger of the 9mm version of the 911 is anything like the trigger on the 911 380s, then I would definitely get the 911 9mm. The Kimber triggers are much like any SA 1911, short, crisp, very short reset. Just sweet all around. But the Springfield 911 trigger is even better. I didn’t get one because I didn’t like my Micro 9, I got one because I really like the styling and features of the 911.
Nonetheless, I convinced myself I needed a Hellcat...if I was wrong, I’ll have to live with it a while, as I’m well over my firearms budget for the year.
Thanks for the info

If you like a good trigger...you’re not going to be fond of the Hellcat.

I’m assuming your XD has an aftermarket trigger?

I'm not sure I can agree with your statement. While the trigger on the Hellcat isn't perfect, it isn't horrible either. It was far superior to the trigger on the original Ruger LCPI but not in the same ballpark as the superb Boberg/Bond Arms Bullpup.

I have well north of 5,000 rounds through mine and I am very satisfied with it. It did take a shift of my hold and a shift of trigger finger placement to correct where the gun was going to hit in relation to the sight picture. That took less than three magazines to analyze and correct. After all of those rounds the corrections are instinctive and the gun is a great close quarters combat arm even with the original trigger.

None of that means I wouldn't invest in a better trigger if one becomes available.

Back