testtest

9119 Ammo Recommendations

My CCW instructor had recommended Sig365 designed for short barrels -- 115g 9mm SIG V-Crown and SIG FMJ loads. Is this what everybody else is using or recommend?

My CCW instructor had recommended Sig365 designed for short barrels -- 115g 9mm SIG V-Crown and SIG FMJ loads. Is this what everybody else is using or recommend?
I have done a lot of research on ballistics, performance, and price of handgun ammo. I would recommend Federal Premium LE 124 Grain HST JHP for self defense ammo and I would recommend Federal American Eagle 124 Grain FMJ for range ammo. Always at least run a mag of your self defense ammo when you go to the range. That’s just my personal opinion.

Last edited:
The 911 in 9mm has a 3" barrel. Sure, its short, but no shorter than many other small 9mm pistols. Nothing wrong with the Sig ammo designed for short barrels, but I imagine the Hornady Critical Defense or Federal Hydra-shock or others that I've carried with my XDM 3.8" will work well in your 3" 911.

I carry an original XD S, and have recently switched to Federal HST Micro 150gr. from Critical Defense 115gr. The Micro are designed for short barrels. I surmise a good deal of people are using, or at least trying, the V-Crown due to the attractive price.

For my self defense I carry Barnes TAC-XPD 9mm +P 115gr SCHP 100% of the time and Black Hills TAC-XP +P 9mm in my S&W Pro Series due to better grouping. Both bullets are made by Barnes. The S&W is my nightstand gun. For my range ammo I use Freedom munitions 115gr/124gr JHP's the majority of the time.

Back