testtest

The Best Deal in Steel? TA Targets Review

Good article Mike, thanks.
Placing, angling and securing metal targets can be another world sometimes. Finding Grade 8 carriage bolts if using for install can be a challenge in some places too. - They're not generally carried at hardware or auto stores. A deflecting downward angle can help depending on where target system is mounted too. That can matter if and when dealing with angular, hard or soft surfaces. Ricochets and passbys or misses are important to always consider and remember when using or installing targets.

It's been a while since I shot steel targets, my outdoor range in town only allows paper. I wasn't crazy about the way the steel targets were mounted either. They were mounted solid with no movement what so ever, parallel to your position. I always stood to the left or right of the shooting lane to provide some angle in case of any ricochet. I would definitely prefer the downward angled steel target.

I wasn't crazy about the way the steel targets were mounted either. They were mounted solid with no movement what so ever, parallel to your position. I always stood to the left or right of the shooting lane to provide some angle in case of any ricochet.

It's a crapshoot as to how ricochets will behave. I've personally witnessed -and experienced- some real "WTF" moments even in my rather short time in this sport/hobby. It's simply a risk of shooting steel, with non-frangible ammo. Even angling the plate down doesn't fully guaranty safety.

Shooting proper ammo on good steel that is also in good repair/conditions - along with wearing proper eye-protection - gives shooters best-odds, but still, weird things can happen.

Hello all, here is today's article posted on TheArmoryLife.com. It is titled "The Best Deal in Steel? TA Targets Review" and can be found at https://www.thearmorylife.com/the-best-deal-in-steel-ta-targets-review/.

Great article and video Mike!!
The range I shoot at allows steel with handgun at a 50 yard minimum and rifle at 100 yards.
I remember shooting in Texas at steel and had one round, “my last round”
On steel come back at me, I heard the buzz and that was the end of that.
A definite (oh 💩) moment.

It's a crapshoot as to how ricochets will behave. I've personally witnessed -and experienced- some real "WTF" moments even in my rather short time in this sport/hobby. It's simply a risk of shooting steel, with non-frangible ammo. Even angling the plate down doesn't fully guaranty safety.

Shooting proper ammo on good steel that is also in good repair/conditions - along with wearing proper eye-protection - gives shooters best-odds, but still, weird things can happen.

Yes, it can be. Conditions are most everything. Gravel, brick, rocks and stone can deflect ammo too. Soil, mulch beds, wood timbers or something else absorbent helps, same as with enough distance. Just pointing steel targets downwards is no guarantee against ricochets. Hex head fasteners can also deflect bullets, is why carriage bolts usually work better.

Conditions are most everything. Gravel, brick, rocks and stone can deflect ammo too. Soil, mulch beds, wood timbers or something else absorbent helps, same as with enough distance. Just pointing steel targets downwards is no guarantee against ricochets. Hex head fasteners can also deflect bullets, is why carriage bolts usually work better.

^ Absolutely - I've definitely also seen different backdrops do weird things, just as you noted. A stone that managed to get unearthed over time, etc.....

There's a real risk that we all take, with this hobby/sport!

There's a real risk that we all take, with this hobby/sport!
Yep ... we're all just a bunch of crazy thrill seekers 🤣🤣🤣

The other day at my yearly doctor checkup when my doc asked if I had any concerns I told him, "Waking up is cancerous to your health ... so why worry? It's the worrying that will kill you." He just smiled and said, "I guess your OK!"

It's the same with shooting, we know the risks, we take steps to be safe but odd things can and occasionally do happen. I'm not gonna worry about that either! 🤣

Back