testtest

9mm — Is it great or does it suck?

The nine is fine! :)

Based on my research, the FBI has gone back to the 9mm from the .40. They did quite a bit of testing. Ammo is less expensive for the 9, ballistics tests show is does the job, and there are some pretty sophisticated bullets available. I think it is a great caliber. Some prefer a little less recoil, and the 380 ammo available is also pretty good. Still, 9mm is my preferred caliber.
9mm definitely has the advantage on recoil. I've shot a ton of 9mm, .40, and .45 rounds over the last 20 years and I consistently shoot more accurately with a 9mm or a .45 ACP handgun. I've NEVER been able to do very well with a .40 S&W. There's something about the recoil on a .40 that just doesn't jive with how I shoot or something. I can put rounds on target with a .40 but not as consistently as I can with the other two calibers. No shortage of stopping power with a .40 for sure, but just never been as accurate. Consequently, I've shot more .40 rounds probably than the other two calibers combined trying to get better with my Glock 22 but just never have felt completely comfortable with the .40 cals. Personal opinion, of course.

9mm definitely has the advantage on recoil. I've shot a ton of 9mm, .40, and .45 rounds over the last 20 years and I consistently shoot more accurately with a 9mm or a .45 ACP handgun. I've NEVER been able to do very well with a .40 S&W. There's something about the recoil on a .40 that just doesn't jive with how I shoot or something. I can put rounds on target with a .40 but not as consistently as I can with the other two calibers. No shortage of stopping power with a .40 for sure, but just never been as accurate. Consequently, I've shot more .40 rounds probably than the other two calibers combined trying to get better with my Glock 22 but just never have felt completely comfortable with the .40 cals. Personal opinion, of course.
My s&w m&p 9mm 4.25" ported barrel didn't group well until I changed the barrel (Apex).

My s&w m&p 9mm 4.25" ported barrel didn't group well until I changed the barrel (Apex).
I just bought a Taurus G3 and a Taurus G2c a few months ago and I'm surprised, pleasantly, at how nice both of them shoot, especially the G3. I've never owned a Taurus handgun before and the G3 is every bit as accurate as any 9mm I've ever shot. The G2C is a bit small for my meaty hands but I bought some extended mags and put a set of fiber optic sights on the G2c and I can shoot much better with it now. If I had any complaints on the Taurus 9mms it would be their sights don't seem to be that great, but they compensate by making the sights very easy to replace. It was a snap to replace the sights on both pistols with Fiber optic sight sets, otherwise, both handguns are well made and very accurate.

My wife says the SIG is "cute!" Of course she's right. But in the 9, 10, 40, 45 war
the match of the 9mm bullet to the 40 case is like heaven.
I like to call the 357 SIG a 9mm Magnum. Use a nasty design 9mm bullet on top
of a SIG case and you most certainly have a stopper. Worked great at the church
shooting. One round, down and out. I carried 357 SIG before the shooting and still do.
In my opinion it's a well proven round. What is unfortunate is most folks won't
have the opportunity to shoot one. Unless they run in to me. (well, social distance please)
You can run a mag through mine if you'd like. Our range doesn't have one as a try me.

I think a lot of the 9mm issue is that the 9mm round a hundred years ago was ok but
was the best there was at the time. US turned it down for the 45.
But the 9mm round of the past ain't even close to the 9mm today. Someplace, maybe
here on TAL I recently read of an incident where a woman had to defend herself with a
9mm. One round, center mass, fatal wound. I don't think that there is a valid caliber war
anymore. Now it's just a matter of shot placement.
The End!
I was in the USMC when they made the switch from the 1911 to the Beretta 92. To a MAN we were NOT happy. This was the mid-80s and the 9mm was still considered anemic compared to the 45ACP (which we all had trained with and were used to) Skip ahead a couple decades and my trusty Wilson Combat was suddenly being left on the nightstand and my new(er) 9mm was what was riding on my belt somewhere on a daily basis. I haven't had a chance to shoot the new 9mm that has been adopted by Uncle Sam but I am hearing good reports from buddies who are still in. I carry the Federal 124 grain HST's in my daily carry pistol and I don't feel under-gunned at all. The advances in bullet technology have seen to that. Now, if you had asked me in 1987 I would have bitched non-stop on how crappy the 9mm was! Even old Jarheads are capable of seeing the light!

I thought all branches switched to the Beratta 92 standard sidearm at the same time, '85-'86 from what I remember with out looking it up.:)
I was in the USMC when the switch happened and it was 86-87. We were all super pissed back then but after 2 decades of bullet improvement, almost all of us retired Jarheads are carrying 9mm's now. My trusty Wilson Combat has been relegated to a nightstand pistol and my 9 is always on me somewhere!

I just bought a Taurus G3 and a Taurus G2c a few months ago and I'm surprised, pleasantly, at how nice both of them shoot, especially the G3. I've never owned a Taurus handgun before and the G3 is every bit as accurate as any 9mm I've ever shot. The G2C is a bit small for my meaty hands but I bought some extended mags and put a set of fiber optic sights on the G2c and I can shoot much better with it now. If I had any complaints on the Taurus 9mms it would be their sights don't seem to be that great, but they compensate by making the sights very easy to replace. It was a snap to replace the sights on both pistols with Fiber optic sight sets, otherwise, both handguns are well made and very accurate.
I carry a G3 too and after many different pistols, Wilson Combats, Kimbers, etc..I agree Great little carry pistol. Nary a hiccup out of mine after hundreds of rounds.

I was in the USMC when the switch happened and it was 86-87. We were all super pissed back then but after 2 decades of bullet improvement, almost all of us retired Jarheads are carrying 9mm's now. My trusty Wilson Combat has been relegated to a nightstand pistol and my 9 is always on me somewhere!
My first handgun I purchased back in '96 was a Beretta 92FS. I still love the gun. It fits my big mitt very well. I would pick it as my #1 handgun if it were chambered in .45 ACP. I'll still stick with a 1911, even if it is not a full size type. One reason is, like I've said before, When you live in a state that reduces capacity, you go up in caliber.:p

Yes that’s correct ‘85. And the 1911 with the all mighty powerful .45acp still used today. But believe it or not as shocking as it may be when you get into the SF groups where they have a little more leeway on what they carry most choose the 9mm in Glock.
I was in the USMC, attached to a weapons platoon, when we switched to the Berettas. That was 86-87 for my unit but the Marines always got stuff after the army so no surprise there. I did some training at Camp Dawson with the 2nd SF group and they were carrying .45s still IIRC. (Been a few years)

I have carried a nine MM it is a fine round, the right round in the right place is the major factor. My everyday carry is a 1911 compact in 45 acp and defender 1911 in 9 mm. For me is it more about the platform. It' been said right here you have to practice and be able to hit were you want the bullet to hit. Know your platform.

I've been reading gun mags since I was a kid and forums more these days, and I remember when the 9mm was absolute "garbage" and worthless. If you didn't have a .45 you didn't have nuthin'... Then the .40 appeared and "fixed" everything. Now, the 9mm is back on top. The .40 is a waste, the .45 is too big and slow, and the 9mm is the greatest thing in the world. Now I know the "experts" are saying the 9 is fine now, but is it really? Has there really been any testing of new 9mm ammo to support this notion that the 9 is fine now? What do you all think?

As someone who really didn't get into handguns until a few years ago, 9mm is excellent. To me, it's kind of like the Goldilocks of calibers: not too hot, not too cold... just right.

9mm is a cartridge my wife and I can both shoot comfortably in a variety of different sized platforms. And, with modern JHP rounds, it's got plenty on board as a viable self-defense option.

That's just me :cool: (y)

I was in the USMC, attached to a weapons platoon, when we switched to the Berettas. That was 86-87 for my unit but the Marines always got stuff after the army so no surprise there. I did some training at Camp Dawson with the 2nd SF group and they were carrying .45s still IIRC. (Been a few years)
The 45acp (1911) as the standard issue service weapon was before my time. The M9 was the issued service weapon. It’s one reason I am fond the the M9/92fs variants. But yes, The Marine Force Reconnaissance did use/prefer the 1911 over the M9. But Glock and some Sig is what was preferred in the SF groups, from my experience.

I have carried a nine MM it is a fine round, the right round in the right place is the major factor. My everyday carry is a 1911 compact in 45 acp and defender 1911 in 9 mm. For me is it more about the platform. It' been said right here you have to practice and be able to hit were you want the bullet to hit. Know your platform.
Love my Colt Defender, it's in .45 ACP. It hits everything I point it at inside of 15 yards, after that I start to use the sights;)

I trained with and carried a .45 ACP 1911 or SIG P220 loaded with 230 Hydra-Shok for almost 30 years, I love my .45 ! After a bad wreck, hit by a drunk in a pickup truck on my Harley and was forced to re-evaluate as I could no longer safely put my .45 on target & repeat for 2nd shot. Went down to the .40 which I found a little snappier, but still could not safely & accurately put 2nd shot where it should be. Finally picked up a couple of EMP’s in 9mm with both 3” & 4” CCC, and found it much easier to do what I always did. With the HST load in a 3” barrel I got the same size if not larger wound size as I did with my 3.3” SIG in .45ACP.
I love to shoot my 3” EMP .40 & .357 Sig P229 4” on a regular basis now that I’m getting the feeling and strength back on my right side. My advice is research your gun and it’s capability, then find the appropriate ammunition for “YOUR” pistol. I’ll take my .45 ACP IN A 4” barrel all day long because that’s what I’ve done for a long time and I’m most accurate with, but if I’m having a bad day my 3” EMP 9mm loaded with 147 HST feels just fine and because the HST was specifically designed for 3” barrel in CC or CQB situations, you get full expansion every time. When you take into account 85+% of self defense shootings take place under 10 yards (then become a homicide committed by you) I can’t say the same for my .45 yet!
At home I keep my stainless elite P226 in .357 SIG with optics & laser / flasher and a 13 round semi auto shotgun full of 00 & Hydra-Shok slugs at the ready, and sadly have had to use this combination effectively, all caught on video. 4 against me, they didn’t stand a chance in my house... No charges filed.

I trained with and carried a .45 ACP 1911 or SIG P220 loaded with 230 Hydra-Shok for almost 30 years, I love my .45 ! After a bad wreck, hit by a drunk in a pickup truck on my Harley and was forced to re-evaluate as I could no longer safely put my .45 on target & repeat for 2nd shot. Went down to the .40 which I found a little snappier, but still could not safely & accurately put 2nd shot where it should be. Finally picked up a couple of EMP’s in 9mm with both 3” & 4” CCC, and found it much easier to do what I always did. With the HST load in a 3” barrel I got the same size if not larger wound size as I did with my 3.3” SIG in .45ACP.
I love to shoot my 3” EMP .40 & .357 Sig P229 4” on a regular basis now that I’m getting the feeling and strength back on my right side. My advice is research your gun and it’s capability, then find the appropriate ammunition for “YOUR” pistol. I’ll take my .45 ACP IN A 4” barrel all day long because that’s what I’ve done for a long time and I’m most accurate with, but if I’m having a bad day my 3” EMP 9mm loaded with 147 HST feels just fine and because the HST was specifically designed for 3” barrel in CC or CQB situations, you get full expansion every time. When you take into account 85+% of self defense shootings take place under 10 yards (then become a homicide committed by you) I can’t say the same for my .45 yet!
At home I keep my stainless elite P226 in .357 SIG with optics & laser / flasher and a 13 round semi auto shotgun full of 00 & Hydra-Shok slugs at the ready, and sadly have had to use this combination effectively, all caught on video. 4 against me, they didn’t stand a chance in my house... No charges filed.
Good job defending your home sir. Hope you cane thru it ok.

This is great, balanced ammo! Consistent on all levels and $1 per bullet. Very cool people as well. They even kept me updated on when the materials were expected to arrive all the way to the minute they were sent to me. I still like my federals but for my Hellcat, these are it!

Back