testtest

9mm VS 10mm

Talyn

SAINT
Founding Member
Many gun owners battle it out online comparing the differences between 9mm VS 10mm. So, how can we know which round is better? It really depends on you and your needs.

9mm VS 10mm

1613413934812.png

I know this is a dumb question, but do we have any consensus on this? I’ve been thinking of buying an RIA Tac Ultra because I want a double stack 1911. The 10mm version is easier to find, but I’m not crazy about the felt recoil of .45 (I know, I know) so I don’t know what I think of shooting 10mm. I’d rent one but no one has a 10mm pistol available near me.

I know this is a dumb question, but do we have any consensus on this? I’ve been thinking of buying an RIA Tac Ultra because I want a double stack 1911. The 10mm version is easier to find, but I’m not crazy about the felt recoil of .45 (I know, I know) so I don’t know what I think of shooting 10mm. I’d rent one but no one has a 10mm pistol available near me.
I have a 10mm 1911, the Colt Delta Elite. I don't see much difference between the felt recoil of a .45 and a 10mm. The 10mm is a little sharper but not much heavier. Especially with normal factory loads. It wouldn't be my first choice as a city carry gun due to its size and it is overpowered if you're mostly worried about people but I'd be perfectly happy to carry it in the woods. I don't want to say there is a consensus about 9mm vs 10mm but I would wager most people would say the 9mm is a better choice in town where you aren't worried about wild animals.

SimonRL
To me, with every weapon owned, HG or whatever, it's a personal choice AND what you want, can do and are able to do at the time. Walking in anothers shoes gets rough if different sizes?
Depends on your intended use too? 10mm VS. 45ACP? Toss up?

Another thing to consider besides HG or ammo size is ammo availability. Especially in present times. 45ACP and 9mm are more common around here, 10mm not so much, but what about there? No one really needs another pretty wallhanger or doorstop do they?

10mm compares very close to .45acp with regular commercially available warmer ammo in felt recoil due to the lighter grain projectile of the 10mm.

The platform will play a big role in felt recoil as well and if you're considering the RIA Tac Ultra the recoil will be about as tame as you'll get with a 10mm because of the size and weight of the pistol.

Most 10mm range ammo is loaded to .40cal power levels.

The Tac Ultra would be a great pick-up if you can find one in today's market for a respectable price.

Last edited:
No comparison. Now that that’s out of the way, if you can shoot a G29 accurately than carry it. If you can shoot a G33 accurately, carry it. If you can shoot a Hellcat accurately, carry it. If you can conceal a Mark 23 well enough, carry it.

You can debate 9 vs 22lr or 10 vs 44Mag. But it will come down to what you can shoot the most accurate be it your carry gun or home defense gun. A 44 mag, as great of a round as it is and although S&W makes a great performance center model that can be carried, if you can’t hit with it, it does no good. As small as a .380 is, if you can’t hit with it, it’s useless. No matter how off a cartridge is, 1mm or 14mm you have to shoot what you can control.

Simon,
To answer your base ques: No, we do NOT have any consensus on 9mm vs 10mm. There are too many extraneous factors and personal prefs to ever reach consensus, imho...
Given that the .45 is iffy for you, my answer to the dilemma is to hold off til u find a double stack 9.
10mm isn’t a solution to .45 comfort.
18mos ago, I might’ve advised going ahead and trying the RIA 10 double stack, but there are no “deals” to be had now and it’s a more serious $ investment (going by my own priorities, of course. YMMV).
Just my 2cents.

One true advantage about 10mm is that it has some pretty good flexibility when it comes to loads; want to load it for home defense/carry against two legged threats? Go for some of the lighter, faster loads (such as 155gr XTP’s) or thinner-jacketed bullets (eg, Winchester Silvertip) that are decently warmer than their .40 counterpart, but not so nuclear that you need to worry about overpenetration more than you would, anyway (rule 4 ALWAYS applies). Need a woods load? Move to the hotter, heavier, hard-cast loads.

Of course, right now, availability IS an issue, but...I was finding 10mm on shelves long after 9mm disappeared...and often for less than 9mm was going for, as well.

9mm for range and 2 legged self defense. 10mm for everything else.

some UNDERWOOD EXTREME PENETRATOR 140

Back