testtest

A Case For The Defensive Big-Bore Revolver

although you took away his gun, because he could not pay for it..?? i am not understanding that. when i go to the LGS, i have to pay for my gun(s) before i walk out the door.....so i'm kinda not getting what you mean by, he couldn't pay...???

in regards to him carrying a large bore gun, it is not up to us to decide how many people he hurts, or kills, when he takes out one thug, or a row of thugs, standing in a straight line.... that's on him 1000%.

and for the courts to deal with him, in both criminal (if found to be criminally at fault) and in civil court for the most assured lawsuits for wrongful deaths.

for that matter, why do some people carry a revolver with either 44 mag or 357 mag as protection.? don't those do damage as well?

no one has to defend thier ccw gun of choice to anyone.

that's if i recall, our right to freedom.
He was owed money by the owner off the big revolver . He took the big revolver for payment of an outstanding debt accrued by the former owner of the big revolver.

Old_Me, what state do you call home? I am simply curious about "qualifying" for a CCL caliber. I'm in WI and here you get your permit and can carry anything you want (that's legal)...no restrictions on caliber based on your permit. The shooting portion of the permit class is a simple one-magazine (or less) firing at 4-5 yards to show the instructor you know how to shoot the pistol ya brung to the class...

Old_Me, what state do you call home? I am simply curious about "qualifying" for a CCL caliber. I'm in WI and here you get your permit and can carry anything you want (that's legal)...no restrictions on caliber based on your permit. The shooting portion of the permit class is a simple one-magazine (or less) firing at 4-5 yards to show the instructor you know how to shoot the pistol ya brung to the class...
RI, when we qualify for a ccw, it is the caliber in which you qualified with, that you can carry. which is why many qualify with (say) a .45 (can be a Colt .45 or 45 ACP), that way that person can carry any caliber, "up to" that .45.

if one were to have (say) qualified with a .38, but carried a 45, or 357? that person would face charges (of whatever the DA pushes)

so here, best to qualify with the biggest caliber. i actually gave thought and had access to a 50AE Desert Eagle, but man, the kick on that and these older hands, wasn't gonna happen. besides, all i carry currently, is a 9MM Hellcat. then too, even with a 15 rnd mag, and one in the chamber, this Hellcat has "heft" to it. (for a person my age)

He was owed money by the owner off the big revolver . He took the big revolver for payment of an outstanding debt accrued by the former owner of the big revolver.
well you see, if only he had explained it properly, rather than, "i took it away from him, cuz he was an injit".....

and he's an "RSO", how many times have i read where "some" RSO's are shall we say, more rude and obnoxious and "God's of the guns", than a person at the range? (i know it's an awesome responsibility, but still many are, well names i cannot use here due to the language warnings of recent)

been (i think) here on this site, stories of obnoxious RSO's (or it could have been another gun site i frequent)

I have a 4" 629 for fun and pleasure, .45 Colt clones and .45 Schofield clones for CAS. For carry and home, I use semi-autos. The weight of a big bore revolver is more than my back wants to lug around. I do like to shoot .44 and ,45 revolvers, they have a satisfying thump.

well you see, if only he had explained it properly, rather than, "i took it away from him, cuz he was an injit".....

and he's an "RSO", how many times have i read where "some" RSO's are shall we say, more rude and obnoxious and "God's of the guns", than a person at the range? (i know it's an awesome responsibility, but still many are, well names i cannot use here due to the language warnings of recent)

been (i think) here on this site, stories of obnoxious RSO's (or it could have been another gun site i frequent)
Old_Me, I am not out to make an enemy of you so I am going to be polite. I corrected you when you mischaracterized what I said. I gave you the explanation, you just ignored it. As for being an obnoxious RSO, when I work as an RSO, I do so around 20-30 children at a time. I am a security architect by day. I also work that circuit with a CCW instructor that is an EMT in his day job. Because of that, you may not like my point of view. I am quite certain, you won't like his. I have no issue with your right to carry. I do have issue when someone carries with complete disregard for the lives of innocent people. I own some of the most powerful firearms a private citizen can own but they are used in a responsible manner. A 500 magnum has the capability of carrying the same energy as a 308 rifle out to 200 yards. So ask yourself, if a person discharged a 308 rifle in a populated area, would you consider that reckless? I certainly would.

Last edited:
RI, when we qualify for a ccw, it is the caliber in which you qualified with, that you can carry. which is why many qualify with (say) a .45 (can be a Colt .45 or 45 ACP), that way that person can carry any caliber, "up to" that .45.

if one were to have (say) qualified with a .38, but carried a 45, or 357? that person would face charges (of whatever the DA pushes)

so here, best to qualify with the biggest caliber. i actually gave thought and had access to a 50AE Desert Eagle, but man, the kick on that and these older hands, wasn't gonna happen. besides, all i carry currently, is a 9MM Hellcat. then too, even with a 15 rnd mag, and one in the chamber, this Hellcat has "heft" to it. (for a person my age)
Sorry about living in RI...it's right amongst the states that want to ban firearms altogether. I understood your rule as initially explained, but "qualifying" at a CCW class is not the norm here. At least you have good seafood. Had you said you lived in WY or MO I would have called BS! That Hellcat is as light as an EDC gets with 10 or more rounds....18oz or so?

Technology is advancing including AI... Give it time
18B444BA-93ED-44BF-A051-497A54A9174D.gif

Last edited:
Sorry about living in RI...it's right amongst the states that want to ban firearms altogether. I understood your rule as initially explained, but "qualifying" at a CCW class is not the norm here. At least you have good seafood. Had you said you lived in WY or MO I would have called BS! That Hellcat is as light as an EDC gets with 10 or more rounds....18oz or so?
yeah, the eastern part of the country is pretty much anti 2A. screw them, i like all my guns, and as Charlton Heston said,
"only from my cold dead hands".

and the worst part of the shooting qualification is, it's done via the old NRA rules of 25 yards away, what, like nearly 75 feet away..??

the testing should be done at a more realistic distance of at least 7 to 10 feet away, as i read that is the most "common" distances of attacks.

at 75 feet away..?? the victim has time to run, and save himself.

yeah, the eastern part of the country is pretty much anti 2A. screw them, i like all my guns, and as Charlton Heston said,
"only from my cold dead hands".

and the worst part of the shooting qualification is, it's done via the old NRA rules of 25 yards away, what, like nearly 75 feet away..??

the testing should be done at a more realistic distance of at least 7 to 10 feet away, as i read that is the most "common" distances of attacks.

at 75 feet away..?? the victim has time to run, and save himself.
Agreed. FBI says 7 yards (21 feet) for average self-defense shooting. With my EDC I can hit 7-8 of 10 on a silhouette off-hand...but I have the SAS model Sig, which is a terrible sight for 25 yards. With my govt size 1911 its much easier, but who wants to carry that? I guess the work-around is qualify with a big caliber, long-slide...then carry something realistic...

Here is a pretty cool video of what happened to a ballistic head, one designed to replicate an actual human head with bone structure and all. The 9mm went through the head as expected. The 500 actually blew the skull completely out of the ballistic head.

You assume most folks can hit their target, let alone a head size target. Moving.
You can have the biggest or smallest gun in the world, but holes in the ceiling of gun ranges are there for a reason.

You assume most folks can hit their target, let alone a head size target. Moving.
You can have the biggest or smallest gun in the world, but holes in the ceiling of gun ranges are there for a reason.
Na, Just a demo of what it does to the human body. Wouldn’t matter where it hit you. The result would be equally devastating.

Back