testtest

A PD's Transition to Red Dots

HayesGreener

Hellcat

I attended a couple LE instructor courses on transitioning to red dots a couple years ago. A lot of time was spent on evaluation and selection of RDS. This is the future of LE handguns.
Well I'd say they did it right. And even if my personal choices may differ I can't find any fault with their decision making process or their choice of duty weapon/RDMS.

Good choice with firearm brand but still have issues with a red dot. I guess time will tell if they stand up to routine use.
A couple brands have been in use on the street for a while, it will shake out which ones fail, and improvements will be made. I would not train a beginner on a red dot until after they have passable skills on irons because in a pinch that may be what you have to fall back on

Good choice with firearm brand but still have issues with a red dot. I guess time will tell if they stand up to routine use.
Plenty of cheaper/lesser RDMS have managed to survive hard duty/combat use. I'd personally have no hesitation to use an Aimpoint, Trijicon, Delta Point Pro, Steiner or Holosun for duty/combat. The Aimpoint this department chose is a closed emitter and is no doubt well built and reliable. They also had the foresight to order the Glocks with night sights that co-witness.

They certainly went about the ugliest route they could have. But the dot and firearm are definitely proven reliable.

Not sure about the light, not familiar with that brand at all. Surprised they didn't go Surefire. That's what pretty much everyone in my agency runs, but we have to supply our own lights.

I wish our agency would go to red dots, but we just switched to the Glock 45 like 2 years ago so I don't see them getting all of our slides milled or getting red dot capable ones any time soon

Our tactical trainers are using them, so, maybe someday it will trickle down to us?

They certainly went about the ugliest route they could have. But the dot and firearm are definitely proven reliable.

Not sure about the light, not familiar with that brand at all. Surprised they didn't go Surefire. That's what pretty much everyone in my agency runs, but we have to supply our own lights.

I wish our agency would go to red dots, but we just switched to the Glock 45 like 2 years ago so I don't see them getting all of our slides milled or getting red dot capable ones any time soon

Our tactical trainers are using them, so, maybe someday it will trickle down to us?
There are plenty aftermarket slides available with the slidecut

Back