testtest

A real pistolero of the Old West

I have a couple of theories about the butt forward carry. Just my opinion, neither may be correct.

For right-handed mounted cavalry troopers, butt forward left the right hand free to wield a saber. For right-handed cowboys, butt forward on the left side reduced the possibility of fouling the pistol with the lariat. When I was a kid on the ranch and carrying a Ruger Blackhawk strong side while working cattle, I looked down to see the revolver fully cocked. Probably from entangling my rope with the hammer. I went to a holster with a strap that held the hammer down.

Watched an interesting documentary the other day about the old wild west. The saloon, brothel and gambling/card joint were always in separate buildings and usually on different ends of town. For obvious reasons.
Someone Hollywood didn't want to have to make 3 sets and have the action split up, so they combined the brothel, gambling and saloon into one joint to keep the action in one scene. So the fights over a lady, poker gun battles and whiskey drinking were a continuous area to pan the camera.
The big saloon with the ladies on the laps and card tables is pure Hollywood fiction

Back