testtest

A Suicidal Stand at the Battle of the Bulge? U.S. Infantry vs. German Panzers

The word "Bazooka" actually appeared in Armageddon: 2419 the original Buck Rogers novel that was published in 1928.

It was used as a reference to the self-propelled rocket pistols used by 25th century Americans.

Buck Rogers states in the novel that he got the term from an early 20th century comedian who played some kind of a flute like instrument that he called a Bazooka.

I'm going to guess that's where the word came from

Screenshot_20230615_092915_Samsung Internet.jpg

Apparently Bob Burns was a real person. This is a picture of him and his "Bazooka".

Attachments

• 20230615_092558.jpg
    20230615_092558.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 90
Last edited:
My father was captured on the second day of the Bulge December 16 circa 5:30 am. His unit, the 28th infantry, was stationed along a 28 mile front on the Our River across from the Germans. The Bulge actually began on the Morning of December 15, 1944. Prior to that in November 1944 American troops were engaged in the Battle for the Hurtgen Forest, where American Troops were decimated. the 28th infantry suffered 80% casualties, either killed or wounded, which was why their positions along the Our were so sparsely manned.These brave troops repulsed the initial assault on the 15th. The Germans brought in their tanks, along with infantry, on the second day December 16.

Good article on the bazooka; some other thoughts:
- US antitank guns did just fine against German armor with 3in and 76mm guns able to penetrate most German armor from all angles except the Tiger II.
- The 88mm on the Tiger II was not the 88mm we think of on the Tiger I. The Tiger I had the 88/L56 (adaptation of the flak gun), while the Tiger II and the Jagdpanther had the 88/L71 which was much longer and had higher velocity than the gun on the Tiger I.
- While the Panther Mark V had a huge amount of frontal armor; 3in and 55 degrees equals about 5-plus inches, its side armor was in early models even slightly thinner than a Sherman's side armor. When the Mark V made its debut on the Eastern Front the Red Army's antitank rifles played hell against the flanks until, as the author mentions, side skirts somewhat mitigated the problem.
-Both the Tiger and Panther shared a huge design problem: overlapping roadwheels. These were prone to getting gummed up in cold, muddy weather (Ardennes anyone, Eastern Front - hello?) and also made working on the suspension system hell.

Below: A dead "cat" Mark V. Likely hit by a 76mm HVAP round from a Sherman or an M18 Hellcat. (Photo by US Army Signal Corps)

Dead Cat Mark V.jpg

Back