testtest

A sure painful experience

Old_Me

Ronin
well back on Tuesday, i went to my new gun club for the first time.

entered by key fob, set up my stuff, and had to wait for time to pass, before shooting, (due to rules, neighbors, etc)

i took my Glock 21 and my S&W Series E 1911...

and 200 rnds of ammo....150 rnds of reloaded, and 50 of new S&B

each gun shot 75 rnds of reloaded, then 25 rnds of new...

both guns shot like there was no tomorrow, and the zombie apocalypse was happening.

then it happened, the mother of all things to happen to a shooter, and let me tell you................

it was horrific, horrible, cringe worthy, it was enough to scream out loud............for the weak of minded.

one of 'em factory new rnds, bounced off the wall and landed in my shirt (i did not button the collar), and actually jammed itself where the open end of the shell casing, was fully pressed on my back, just below the collar mind you, and gave me one hell of a red circle.

but being the trooper that i am, i continued shooting, i wasn't about to let some HOT, BURNING BRASS CASING dictate to me, what to do.

i actually forgot all about it till minutes ago, trimming my hair line, then saw the red circle.

i tried taking pics, (the wife is not here) and well, not that easy a thing to do.

I've done the hot brass dance once when I forgot my cap and had one land in-between my glasses and my temple. I quickly did a head shake to get it dislodged while keeping the muzzle pointed at the target.

The worst I've seen was when I was on the M16 rifle zero range and a spent 5.56 casing lodged itself on my Gunner's cheek against his chin strap. He dropped his rifle and quickly unbuttoned his chin strap, but the damage was already done. His skin peeled away with the spent casing. He looked at me like it was my fault, lol.

^ Yup, rifle cases are not fun - not fun at all.....

I've done the hot brass dance once when I forgot my cap and had one land in-between my glasses and my temple. I quickly did a head shake to get it dislodged while keeping the muzzle pointed at the target.

My weird one was at an indoor range - the case managed to bounce over the top of my shooting glasses (mind you, my shooting glasses essentially have lenses twice as thick, because there's a prescription insert behind the ballistic lens), and landed on the top of my cheek, trapped there between my lower eyelid and the inner lens.

This was WITH a ballcap on....the spent case somehow bounced off the stall wall to my shoulder/upper arm, up under the bill of my ballcap, and then into where it finally came to rest.

----

All -

As shooters, we need to remind ourselves that instances such as this can and will happen, and that we need to be mindful of this possibility and realize that it's more important that we keep muzzle and trigger discipline, rather than to dislodge the spent case, no matter how bad the latter happens to be hurting us.

Here's a few notable recent events.....

(1)
^ A write-up on Concealed Nation about an actual event (outlink to media coverage of actual event is included).

(2)
...which was followed up with this interview with the father:

(3)
A close call for a range worker.....

and (4)
^ This event happened at a public indoor range that I frequent, right here in NE-Ohio. (I love the Geauga County Sheriff's Office dearly - they are very pro-2A and extremely nice to work with, for Ohio-CHL applications, but this segment was poorly put together, and I wish their office would have had a say in how the video was edited.)

Particularly for those of us who have been in the hobby/sport for a long time and/or have attended a lot of training (or who may instruct) and/or are competitive shooters, we need to be doubly vigilant and even more careful when we are on the range or otherwise are handling firearms or are engaged in training or competition.

In terms of competition, look at how many get DQ'ed for safety.

In training?

The first incident below occurred at what is ostensibly a rather "advanced" class:

Statement from the Range Owner Regarding the Recent Accidental Shooting - Soldier Systems Daily

And the event detailed in the following posts occurred just a couple of years ago in what is almost my back yard.

I've always wanted to -and still want to- attend Mas's classes, and this just goes to show that even someone who is often considered a standard-barer can run afoul of the same issues that any beginner or novice can, and perhaps even more highlight the points that my two brothers above have each posted:

LAYERS OF FIREARMS SAFETY: A TEACHABLE MOMENT |
^ Mas's view of the incident.

Lessons from a Negligent Discharge at MAG-40 – Safety Solutions Academy

^ A more comprehensive look, from one of his AI's (and the host) of the class.

Great reminders that we all must always be humble and vigilant.

When I go to the range my wife ask me hey it’s 90 degrees out why do you wear your boots and long pants I say because I don’t want to get a shell casing burn . They can hurt . What a sad story about that 14 year old boy . I couldn’t imagine how the father felt

well back on Tuesday, i went to my new gun club for the first time.

entered by key fob, set up my stuff, and had to wait for time to pass, before shooting, (due to rules, neighbors, etc)

i took my Glock 21 and my S&W Series E 1911...

and 200 rnds of ammo....150 rnds of reloaded, and 50 of new S&B

each gun shot 75 rnds of reloaded, then 25 rnds of new...

both guns shot like there was no tomorrow, and the zombie apocalypse was happening.

then it happened, the mother of all things to happen to a shooter, and let me tell you................

it was horrific, horrible, cringe worthy, it was enough to scream out loud............for the weak of minded.

one of 'em factory new rnds, bounced off the wall and landed in my shirt (i did not button the collar), and actually jammed itself where the open end of the shell casing, was fully pressed on my back, just below the collar mind you, and gave me one hell of a red circle.

but being the trooper that i am, i continued shooting, i wasn't about to let some HOT, BURNING BRASS CASING dictate to me, what to do.

i actually forgot all about it till minutes ago, trimming my hair line, then saw the red circle.

i tried taking pics, (the wife is not here) and well, not that easy a thing to do.
Glad to hear you toughed it out. If you can’t handle some hot brass, you sure as heck can’t handle the zombie apocalypse! 🧟‍♂️ 🧟‍♀️ 🧟

When my dad had a helo we were coyote hunting in the winter. He pilots on the left and both doors were off. Right handed shooters have too swing way right for more flexibility, but being able to shoot left it's whole lot easier. I was in 8th or 9th grade and had a down jacket on (no hood). I had been shooting for a while and the barrel was heating up if 556 rounds. Brass was bouncing off the back of the cabin and we're getting inside my jacket rolling down my shirt into my pants/underwear. As if that wasn't bad enough some were staying on my collar and burned my neck and looked like I had a hickey (lots of them). I never lost control of the gun, but sure wanted too let the gun go airborne.

When my dad had a helo we were coyote hunting in the winter. He pilots on the left and both doors were off. Right handed shooters have too swing way right for more flexibility, but being able to shoot left it's whole lot easier. I was in 8th or 9th grade and had a down jacket on (no hood). I had been shooting for a while and the barrel was heating up if 556 rounds. Brass was bouncing off the back of the cabin and we're getting inside my jacket rolling down my shirt into my pants/underwear. As if that wasn't bad enough some were staying on my collar and burned my neck and looked like I had a hickey (lots of them). I never lost control of the gun, but sure wanted too let the gun go airborne.
That sound like fun !!! 🕺🕺

While a hot case never got me, many moons ago I just bought a new S&W 645, my brother was shooting it in a tee shirt, first case after firing caught him between his eyes, next case went down his shirt and got stuck where he had shirt tucked into his pants, left a nice red mark, of course I laughed……

oh, i been burnt before this as well.....shell casings flying up under my baseball cap bill, lodging between the cap and my safety glasses, down the front of my shirt.

now i don't wear my ball cap, so the hot casings burn my bald head...

or lodge between the ear protection muffs and the temple/cheek

oh yeah.....
I dare ya to keep your mouth open next time you go fire
😉 😆

Many, many years ago, way before I became a married man, I had a very pretty, very well endowed, young lady with me at a range on a nice Sunday afternoon. She became a little restless with me doing all the shooting and asked me to let her shoot some, which of course I did. Now this particular day it was pretty hot and we were both wearing T-shirts, hers much tighter and better looking than mine.

However, during my instruction to her on a two hand hold with IIRC, a small Colt .380 semi-auto (maybe a little Mustang) she squeezed her arms in close together which caused the very front of her otherwise snug fitting T-shirt to 'pucker' just a little right in the middle ......... well, actually it 'puckered' just enough for one of those little brass cases to fall right into that 'pucker' and right in between those two 'perfectly formed' shooting muscles she had !!!!!!

Well, she screamed in pain and threw my gun in the dirt, then spun around towards me screaming "help me, help me" ..... all the while trying her best to pull her shirt up and off. Naturally being the gentleman I am, I tried my best to help her. I'm not sure till today which of us was the most surprised/embarrassed when her shirt came completely up and off, but I knew one thing for sure, much like falling off a horse, you must get right back up on him .......

Now I certainly didn't want her to lose interest in going shooting with me ...... so I gave her every encouragement to shoot some more that day with that T-shirt and with that little Colt in a two hand hold !!!!!!

Uh huh, y'all know what I'm talkin' about !!! I know your all smilin'.

Many, many years ago, way before I became a married man, I had a very pretty, very well endowed, young lady with me at a range on a nice Sunday afternoon. She became a little restless with me doing all the shooting and asked me to let her shoot some, which of course I did. Now this particular day it was pretty hot and we were both wearing T-shirts, hers much tighter and better looking than mine.

However, during my instruction to her on a two hand hold with IIRC, a small Colt .380 semi-auto (maybe a little Mustang) she squeezed her arms in close together which caused the very front of her otherwise snug fitting T-shirt to 'pucker' just a little right in the middle ......... well, actually it 'puckered' just enough for one of those little brass cases to fall right into that 'pucker' and right in between those two 'perfectly formed' shooting muscles she had !!!!!!

Well, she screamed in pain and threw my gun in the dirt, then spun around towards me screaming "help me, help me" ..... all the while trying her best to pull her shirt up and off. Naturally being the gentleman I am, I tried my best to help her. I'm not sure till today which of us was the most surprised/embarrassed when her shirt came completely up and off, but I knew one thing for sure, much like falling off a horse, you must get right back up on him .......

Now I certainly didn't want her to lose interest in going shooting with me ...... so I gave her every encouragement to shoot some more that day with that T-shirt and with that little Colt in a two hand hold !!!!!!

Uh huh, y'all know what I'm talkin' about !!! I know your all smilin'.
Yes I am

^ Yup, rifle cases are not fun - not fun at all.....

My weird one was at an indoor range - the case managed to bounce over the top of my shooting glasses (mind you, my shooting glasses essentially have lenses twice as thick, because there's a prescription insert behind the ballistic lens), and landed on the top of my cheek, trapped there between my lower eyelid and the inner lens.

This was WITH a ballcap on....the spent case somehow bounced off the stall wall to my shoulder/upper arm, up under the bill of my ballcap, and then into where it finally came to rest.

----

All -

As shooters, we need to remind ourselves that instances such as this can and will happen, and that we need to be mindful of this possibility and realize that it's more important that we keep muzzle and trigger discipline, rather than to dislodge the spent case, no matter how bad the latter happens to be hurting us.

Here's a few notable recent events.....

(1)
^ A write-up on Concealed Nation about an actual event (outlink to media coverage of actual event is included).

(2)
...which was followed up with this interview with the father:

(3)
A close call for a range worker.....

and (4)
^ This event happened at a public indoor range that I frequent, right here in NE-Ohio. (I love the Geauga County Sheriff's Office dearly - they are very pro-2A and extremely nice to work with, for Ohio-CHL applications, but this segment was poorly put together, and I wish their office would have had a say in how the video was edited.)

Particularly for those of us who have been in the hobby/sport for a long time and/or have attended a lot of training (or who may instruct) and/or are competitive shooters, we need to be doubly vigilant and even more careful when we are on the range or otherwise are handling firearms or are engaged in training or competition.

In terms of competition, look at how many get DQ'ed for safety.

In training?

The first incident below occurred at what is ostensibly a rather "advanced" class:

Statement from the Range Owner Regarding the Recent Accidental Shooting - Soldier Systems Daily

And the event detailed in the following posts occurred just a couple of years ago in what is almost my back yard.

I've always wanted to -and still want to- attend Mas's classes, and this just goes to show that even someone who is often considered a standard-barer can run afoul of the same issues that any beginner or novice can, and perhaps even more highlight the points that my two brothers above have each posted:

LAYERS OF FIREARMS SAFETY: A TEACHABLE MOMENT |
^ Mas's view of the incident.

Lessons from a Negligent Discharge at MAG-40 – Safety Solutions Academy

^ A more comprehensive look, from one of his AI's (and the host) of the class.

Great reminders that we all must always be humble and vigilant.
(this is in NO reference to anyone here that may have posted)

i had seen the video of the guy shooting himself in the face...glad he survived.

the one type of video, that i have seen on you tube, or fartbook, or where ever, that really ticks me off, is guys taking thier girlfriends to a range, and the girls are wearing low cut shirts, looking all sexy, and then they get some hot brass down thier fronts, and get burnt, and the guys are laughing.

nothing ticks me off more than that. the guys should have, could have told the girlfriends to NOT wear such open shirts.

but no, they guys wanna capture on video the "jiggling" the girls go thru with the recoil.

i think some of those guys need to wear the pants open, and have a casing or two get into thier privates....

i know i'd laugh......

(this is in NO reference to anyone here that may have posted)

i had seen the video of the guy shooting himself in the face...glad he survived.

the one type of video, that i have seen on you tube, or fartbook, or where ever, that really ticks me off, is guys taking thier girlfriends to a range, and the girls are wearing low cut shirts, looking all sexy, and then they get some hot brass down thier fronts, and get burnt, and the guys are laughing.

nothing ticks me off more than that. the guys should have, could have told the girlfriends to NOT wear such open shirts.

but no, they guys wanna capture on video the "jiggling" the girls go thru with the recoil.

i think some of those guys need to wear the pants open, and have a casing or two get into thier privates....

i know i'd laugh......
….that is a very good post, OM. Thank u for taking the time. I tend to agree, and will also state that when we invite someone to the range or pasture - newbie, first time or one time novel experience kinda thing - let’s do our ‘due diligence’ for lack of a better term and make sure they’re prepared for the hot brass and other stuff too. Maybe a suggest a hat & sunscreen if outdoors half a day… whatever. Just sayin’.
If your lady is one of those with that milky white Celtic complexion, a fresh hot casing that isn’t instantly remove can leave a permanent mark too.

^ Exactly.

Prepare -particularly the newbies- for any potential adverse event.

Our sport/hobby isn't one that's without the likelihood of someone getting seriously injured. And as with every other sport or leisure activity that carries such serious implications, we should also be cognizant that those who participate (as well as organize, even if that's just us by our lonesome) should be made aware of possible emergencies, and how to *_properly_* respond to them. The latter can be anything from calling 911 (or other emergency phone number) to report the incident to addressing a massive bleed to just how to safely handle lesser emergencies, like having a spent case or other by-product (how many here have been impacted by bullet ricochet from steel targets?).

Towards the last, I can testify through my own experience that even a child can be taught to respond to spent-case burns in a safe manner.

When my daughter started shooting at 8 and 1/2 years of age, we started an indoor range with generous stall lanes, and she first shot her .22LR pistol off a bench rest. During one session, the spent case bounced just right and landed on her hand - at which time she simply took her hands off the pistol, still upright on the rest, and backed straight back from the shooting line and out of the stall, before coming to me for a "Daddy make it better!" moment.

Similarly, fast forward a couple of years to an outdoor range where she again caught a spent case on her upper arm - she did as I taught her: she simply dropped the pistol on the ground and backed away to nurse her wound.

As beings capable of intelligent thought, God blessed us with this enormous forebrain that allows us to inhibit even the most base impulses we may otherwise have. Properly preparing the shooter for emergencies makes the entire day much more enjoyable. :)

Arm length vs ejection pattern......well kind of? A family friend that graduated with my oldest had come out too do some shooting with a group of us. We shot various guns, so he wanted too shoot the 50ae. He is about 6" taller than I and when he started shooting the cases ejected between his mouth and eyes. All 7 cases hit him in the face. When I shot it the cases were bouncing off the top of my head. We both had been shooting with arms fully extended. After the second case hit his tooth he kept his mouth closed. Here's a question? Who has been marked with scope recoil? I've sat a 264wm on the back of my hand and palm was holding onto a fence post. Well I had a nice crescent shape cut from eyebrow to nose.

Arm length vs ejection pattern......well kind of? A family friend that graduated with my oldest had come out too do some shooting with a group of us. We shot various guns, so he wanted too shoot the 50ae. He is about 6" taller than I and when he started shooting the cases ejected between his mouth and eyes. All 7 cases hit him in the face. When I shot it the cases were bouncing off the top of my head. We both had been shooting with arms fully extended. After the second case hit his tooth he kept his mouth closed. Here's a question? Who has been marked with scope recoil? I've sat a 264wm on the back of my hand and palm was holding onto a fence post. Well I had a nice crescent shape cut from eyebrow to nose.
Wow

Back