testtest

Academy Sports

Bassbob

Emissary
So prior to this morning I had been in an Academy Sports store twice. Both times the ammo shelves were bare, they had a few handguns behind the counter and a bunch of empty slots where AR accessories used to be. Thursday at work a guy tells me he was in there about 1 PM and they had every kind of ammo you could imagine and in large quantities. So this morning I go in there just to see and they have a decent amount of ammo, but it's clear that the most popular stuff had been selling very well as the spots for them were empty. They did have a bunch of Aluminum case 115 gr. Blazer for $14.99/box. I spotted the last 4 boxes of 124 gr. Blazer Brass at $17.99/box and grabbed them. Handgun and rifle ammo is a 4 box limit and shotshells are 10 box limit. Their prices on shotgun shells were higher than I was gonna pay though. $10 for a box of #8. They had plenty of 5 round boxes of slugs and buck around $7 each, but it was almost all off brand stuff. Estate, Rio, some other crap no one ever heard of.

Anyway, this was about 10 AM this morning and I had heard the key to getting ammo from Academy was being there early on Friday and Monday mornings. So while the prices are still too high, the shelves aren't emptying as fast as they had been. I wasn't real happy about paying $18/box for 9mm, but the place I normally get it for $16 only rarely has 124 gr.

So prior to this morning I had been in an Academy Sports store twice. Both times the ammo shelves were bare, they had a few handguns behind the counter and a bunch of empty slots where AR accessories used to be. Thursday at work a guy tells me he was in there about 1 PM and they had every kind of ammo you could imagine and in large quantities. So this morning I go in there just to see and they have a decent amount of ammo, but it's clear that the most popular stuff had been selling very well as the spots for them were empty. They did have a bunch of Aluminum case 115 gr. Blazer for $14.99/box. I spotted the last 4 boxes of 124 gr. Blazer Brass at $17.99/box and grabbed them. Handgun and rifle ammo is a 4 box limit and shotshells are 10 box limit. Their prices on shotgun shells were higher than I was gonna pay though. $10 for a box of #8. They had plenty of 5 round boxes of slugs and buck around $7 each, but it was almost all off brand stuff. Estate, Rio, some other crap no one ever heard of.

Anyway, this was about 10 AM this morning and I had heard the key to getting ammo from Academy was being there early on Friday and Monday mornings. So while the prices are still too high, the shelves aren't emptying as fast as they had been. I wasn't real happy about paying $18/box for 9mm, but the place I normally get it for $16 only rarely has 124 gr.
That was the case for a while last summer, then they just had nothing.

Now they have most calibers in stock at the store, with the exception of 9mm, but you can order online and pick up a few days later.

Box of 20 or 50? For 20 it's high, but for 50 doesn't seem that bad?

I live within driving distance of several Academy Sports stores. For the past few weeks, they have had shelves full of 5.56, .223, 7.62x39, and 9mm. All of it is about 50-75% more expensive than the pre-pandemic prices, but at least it's available. Everything but the 7.62x39 is still generally cheaper than you can find online.

My local Academy has also had buckshot available on several of my recent visits. Winchester and Remington are a bit pricey at $1.19 per round. When they have the store brand Monarch 9-Pellet 00 Buck, they are still selling it at the pre-pandemic price of $12 for a box of 25. I'm guessing they had the store brand supplier locked into a long-term fixed or low-rate contract. The price convinced me to grab a case of Monarch on my last visit.

I haven't been able to find .357 ammo or if I did , it was an off brand selling for over $2.00 a round. Same with .380, it was $2.50 a round if you could find it. Luckily I have a few boxes put aside for such shortages, but don't want to shoot them all up and not find replacements. Prices are coming down again in most areas but are still overpriced in my opinion.

I haven't been able to find .357 ammo or if I did , it was an off brand selling for over $2.00 a round. Same with .380, it was $2.50 a round if you could find it. Luckily I have a few boxes put aside for such shortages, but don't want to shoot them all up and not find replacements. Prices are coming down again in most areas but are still overpriced in my opinion.
No one can find .380 except on line at astronomical prices.

I live within driving distance of several Academy Sports stores. For the past few weeks, they have had shelves full of 5.56, .223, 7.62x39, and 9mm. All of it is about 50-75% more expensive than the pre-pandemic prices, but at least it's available. Everything but the 7.62x39 is still generally cheaper than you can find online.

My local Academy has also had buckshot available on several of my recent visits. Winchester and Remington are a bit pricey at $1.19 per round. When they have the store brand Monarch 9-Pellet 00 Buck, they are still selling it at the pre-pandemic price of $12 for a box of 25. I'm guessing they had the store brand supplier locked into a long-term fixed or low-rate contract. The price convinced me to grab a case of Monarch on my last visit.
Have you shot any of the Monarch ? I thought about trying it, but the recent proliferation of all these crappy shells like Estate and Rio and a bunch of other **** I never heard of has me pretty much not trusting any of them.

Walmart is a great place to get shotgun shells, when they have them in stock. They are a lot cheaper there than at other places. Also, Walmart has lots of good accessories, such as gun cleaning supplies.

I quit buying anything gun related from WalMart when they decided to quit selling handgun and rifle ammo. I wouldn't buy anything from them ever but I can't seem to get my wife to quit grocery shopping there. And she gets a lot of our basic clothing there. Every time I bring it up she says something along the lines of " Fine, you do the shopping and drive to 4 different places to get what we need while paying 20% more for it all". She doesn't go in much for my personal boycotts. I had to threaten to have my direct deposit rerouted to get her to finally agree to tell BOA to F off. She's a kayaker and she wanted to go see what they had at Dicks. I told her if she ever bought anything from Dicks I was leaving her.

I am a shotgun junkie though and I am 100% out of range fodder. Might run up to WalMart I guess. Effin' WalMart. They're going to take over the world with their Chinese crap.

Back