testtest

Academy Sports

Yeah I know. What you can't get is any 5.56, 300BLK or any other AR ammo or handgun ammo. When WalMart made the announcement they would no longer be carrying that stuff ( after whatever shooting it was) I decided I wouldn't be buying any other sporting goods or firearms related stuff from them. Frankly I'm shocked anyone does. I'd go to Cheaper Than Dirt first and that's saying something.

I did NOT go to WalMart today and look for shotgun ammo. Instead I went to 2 more LGS, neither of whom had anything I wanted at a price I was willing to pay for it. Then I went back to the Farm and Home and paid $8/box for Winchester Target crap.
Walmart supposedly rescinded their decision about firearms from what read in a few places, but haven't noticed anything any different in stores. If anything, it's progressively worse from what seen before. I look to see what's available there about once a month or so. Possibly about a dozen or less long guns is all typically seen.

Walmart supposedly rescinded their decision about firearms from what read in a few places, but haven't noticed anything any different in stores. If anything, it's progressively worse from what seen before. I look to see what's available there about once a month or so. Possibly about a dozen or less long guns is all typically seen.
I live in as redneck a place as you can imagine. They don't sell handgun ammo here or 5.56. And the only guns they have is a few long guns. Mostly .22s

I live in as redneck a place as you can imagine. They don't sell handgun ammo here or 5.56. And the only guns they have is a few long guns. Mostly .22s
Yep, usually .22's & shotguns if any.
Some hardware stores sell guns and ammo too.

I think the Walmart thing is to sell certain guns only in certain places. And nowhere that I'm aware do they sell anymore the AR platform rifles, and in my area not even a Mini14, nor any .226cal, 5.56mm, or any caliber that is not specifically intended/recognized for hunting purposes. No handguns nor handgun ammo of any caliber (other than .22's) as far as I can tell. I've not seen any firearm including shot guns and/or .22's in our area for more than a couple years. And last time I checked, our local store would not even order a Mini14 for me, nor even discuss ordering an AR.

It would really be irritating if not for the fact it's such stupid reasoning and decisions made by such ignorant (of guns) people to not sell these items. I can't believe any 'bad guy' would run down to his local Walmart just to pick up an AR for tonight or this weekend's fireworks. But it was really convenient and usually a real cost savings for the local 'good guys' ......... who BTW are the only people who were really hurt/inconvenienced by these senseless decisions.

As an aside for BobM's post above, I bought one of my first guns at a local hardware store when I was about 10-12. Yeh, my dad was there but it was my money and my purchase. My very first gun I ordered through (IIRC) a Montgomery Ward catalog and had it delivered to my front door. I'm thinking both of these were .22 rifles.

My first shotgun I bought from the Ag teacher at my high school when I was a junior I think. He brought it to school the day we agreed and put it in the classroom closet along with ........ of all things a couple boxes of 12 ga bird shot. I went by his classroom at the end of the school day and looked it over right there in his classroom and decided to buy it, and the boxes of shells. Walked from his room right through the high school and out to my truck and placed my new shot gun in the rack in the rear window where it remained for the rest of that year and most of the next. It was only removed when I got a brand new one for Christmas the following year.

Miraculously, that gun, nor none of my .22's ever jumped out of the truck and shot anyone. Nor did anyone get all in a dither when they saw them hanging in the window of my truck. And 'shock' of all 'shocks', there were actually days when there was two guns hanging in that rack, and 'heaven forbid', ammo on the front seat.

Where the hell are people's heads at these days???

Last edited:
I mentioned to the Walmart associate in that area of the store that they might as well remove the few firearm-related items left in that aisle and start selling sonething else off of those shelves. It's a waste of retail real estate at the moment.

I mentioned to the Walmart associate in that area of the store that they might as well remove the few firearm-related items left in that aisle and start selling sonething else off of those shelves. It's a waste of retail real estate at the moment.
Am thinking you're likely right. But? Since WM supposedly reversed or altered their decision, they may eventually restock areas once they can obtain a good enough price and quantity too? Still, in the meantime, it's a lot of valuable wasted space seen that could be rearranged and profitably used for something else in the meantime or later if and when they restock firearms and ammo? Availability and timing's everything in sales. Floor space is expensive. Empty floor space even more so.

Walmart removed gun displays during the riots last summer. They have decided to put them back. They haven’t reversed their decision to stop selling handguns or handgun ammo or “Assault weapons” or their ammo.

Which lead me to this ridiculous article. The author laments, “ Why does Walmart feel the need to even sell guns and ammo”. She then goes on to praise Kmart for phasing it out after Columbine. “How many more tragedies will it take before Walmart says enough is enough” blah blah blah. The article even points out that since then, Kmart now has less than 30 stores nationwide, but she’s apparently too stupid to see a correlation.

And getting back to my earlier point, in this article Walmart claims to control 2% of the firearms sales and 20% of the ammo sales nationwide. Leaving aside the fact that there’s literally no way in hell that’s true, I think it’s disgusting that they control any significant percentage of the firearms and ammo sales nationwide. This is only possible because people apparently overlooked the fact that they caved or sided with anti-gunners when they decided to quit selling certain guns and ammo and these people still go there for cheap shotgun shells or whatever. We boycotted Dicks and CTD for less but……🙄

I think the Walmart thing is to sell certain guns only in certain places.

Yup.

"Urban" Wal-Marts are totally different from their suburban - or rural - counterparts.

For those who have the time -or if simply situation/circumstance finds you near one as you need something readily available from its stocks- I'd encourage the "cultural enrichment" field-trip. It's a shock, for shoppers from *both* ends of that spectrum.

Hello, new to the forum. Got my new Saint Victor Monday. No .308 ammo around so I bought ZSR 7.62 149 grain. There's a good amount of it around Western PA but it doesn't work in the rifle. It's pretty low pressure so it goes bang but doesn't cycle the bolt well at all. The little bit of .308 I have around works well in the rifle. I thought I'd try adjusting the gas block for it with the adjustable needle since I bought 500 rounds.

Yup.

"Urban" Wal-Marts are totally different from their suburban - or rural - counterparts.

For those who have the time -or if simply situation/circumstance finds you near one as you need something readily available from its stocks- I'd encourage the "cultural enrichment" field-trip. It's a shock, for shoppers from *both* ends of that spectrum.

Like I said, I am in a rural area. They have a rotating rack with maybe 7 guns on it. 22s and shotguns.

Like I said, I am in a rural area. They have a rotating rack with maybe 7 guns on it. 22s and shotguns.
Rural/semi-rural area here, and I think your store has us beat. I recall seeing maybe 4 guns in the display case at our local Walmart a couple days ago. I fully avoid that aisle nowadays, because there's no ammo to be bought, and I have no need for the bags/accessories collecting dust on their shelves. Will do a recount of available firearms next time I'm in there. Sam Walton is probably turning in his grave at what they've done to his store(s).

Ours used to be just like that .... 6-8 long guns in a 'lazy susan' style display. Hand guns generally in a locked, glass front show case. Then a couple years ago all hand guns went away, then not long after that the long guns, and about a year ago (pretty much when all the looting and vandalism started across the country, most all ammo went away.

I have probably 4-6 Walmarts within easy driving and they're all the same. :(:mad::mad::confused:

Back