testtest

Accuracy hack for the M1A that you've probably never heard about.

Accuracy hack​

You can improve the accuracy of your M1A / M14 by installing a railed hand guard... the aluminum railed hand guard adds rigidity to the barrel, and this results in less barrel whip.

The Ultimak M8 fits standard weight barrels, and the lighter SHG from M14.ca is available for both standard and medium weight barrels. The two aluminum hand guards mentioned are designed to mount optics and accessories low in front of the receiver, the average 1/2 MOA enhancement in accuracy is a side benefit. The SHG also acts as a radiator that bleeds off heat, this keeps the barrel cooler longer. The accuracy hack is directed primarily at folks with standard weight barrels of any length.

m14CA-SHG.jpg
SHG-CQB-16-M4.JPG

Comments found on Facebook M14/M1A groups.
  1. "Can attest to this when I installed a ultimak rail. Gun was always a solid 2moa rifle but groups shrunk closer to 1.5ish.
    The ultimak gets HOT though. I was expecting some vertical stringing because the barrel and aluminum rail expand at different rates but I didn’t see that."
  2. "I’ve used the m14 shgs on a criterion 16 inch std weight, and a Barnett 18.5 inch medium weight barrel. Both improved accuracy, but more improvement was with the std weight barrel than the medium. I do like the medium weight shg design better, though, as the rail atop extends the entire length of the hand guard."

Proper draw pressure is still important for consistent accuracy with all but the two chassis stocks available for the M1A / M14, so you will want to continue using your barrel band with all but the Sage EBR and Blackfeather RS.

Last edited:
Back