testtest

ACOG or Tango4 1-4

The Trijicon ACOG isn't even on the same playing field as the Tango. The ACOG is a far superior optic in my opinion. The ACOG though a fixed magnification has extremely clean glass, no batteries required for illumination, and is the most toughest durable optic on the market.

I'm not trying too be bias, but not a fan of ACOG just more used too a variable. ACOG has a constant FOV on a non variable at least. Your 1-4x24 with less FOV. I have a Trijicon 2.5-10x56 and the glass is super clear. I know your not looking for that. Check out their small variable optics if price is more of a concern.

I'm looking for a general purpose midrange optic for my victor .308.
If it's a mid-range scope then don't get a 1-4 as you don't need the 1x magnification. If you plan on shooting both eyes open CQB then the 1x would have a purpose. The ACOG is a battle proven tough as nails optic. Yes it cost more, but you get what you pay for. Do yourself a favor. Go to your local gun range look through both of them then get back on here and let us know which one you like better. It would be interesting to hear your thoughts on comparing the two yourself.

If it's a mid-range scope then don't get a 1-4 as you don't need the 1x magnification. If you plan on shooting both eyes open CQB then the 1x would have a purpose. The ACOG is a battle proven tough as nails optic. Yes it cost more, but you get what you pay for. Do yourself a favor. Go to your local gun range look through both of them then get back on here and let us know which one you like better. It would be interesting to hear your thoughts on comparing the two yourself.
When does the battle take place?

I'm looking for a general purpose midrange optic for my victor .308.

What's your budget & how far are your typical ranges?

I see folks putting big optics on ARs when their typical use ranges are relatively short.

Sometimes a simple 1-4 will do, but there's some that want the latest (& more expensive) offerings out there.

I have both ACOGs and 1-4s on different ARs for different reasons/needs.

For longer ranges I go to a bolt gun with higher power optics.

What's your budget & how far are your typical ranges?

I see folks putting big optics on ARs when their typical use ranges are relatively short.

Sometimes a simple 1-4 will do, but there's some that want the latest (& more expensive) offerings out there.

I have both ACOGs and 1-4s on different ARs for different reasons/needs.

For longer ranges I go to a bolt gun with higher power optics.
Probably no farther than 300. I have a precision AR, a M1A with LR optics, and a couple tight bolt guns for long range and and a classic AR15A3 for 200 to 500. The Victor .308 will generally be for 0 to 300.

Last edited:
When does the battle take place?
Not sure what your comment is for. I was just addressing the question that benstt asked the forum. Specifically which optic would people choose? The ACOG or the Tango4 1-4x. Not any other options. So, between the two in question I gave my opinion just as you did. However, after giving my opinion my advise to benstt was to get hands on both so he can make a personal experience decision. Which in all reality is the best way to make a decision when buying a scope is to look through it yourself.
Please feel free to look at these links for reference to CQB scopes.

Not sure what your comment is for. I was just addressing the question that benstt asked the forum. Specifically which optic would people choose? The ACOG or the Tango4 1-4x. Not any other options. So, between the two in question I gave my opinion just as you did. However, after giving my opinion my advise to benstt was to get hands on both so he can make a personal experience decision. Which in all reality is the best way to make a decision when buying a scope is to look through it yourself.

I thought your reply was quite helpful.

I thought your reply was quite helpful.
Thank you benstt. That's what was intended. I am in no way an expert, but always feel free to ask about any product on here. There are a bunch of knowledgeable guys on here that will probably be able to help you.

Probably no farther than 300. I have a precision AR, a M1A with LR optics, and a couple tight bolt guns for long range and and a classic AR15A3 for 200 to 500. The Victor .308 will generally be for 0 to 300.

A surprisingly good scope. I have used several for years without any problems. Can be found cheaper than msrp.

Hi-Lux CMR4

As much as I like ACOGs, I really dont like the tritium. I prefer the manual led reticles. The tritium versions are nicd for battery free operation, but if you’re outside shooting into a dim lit area the reticle will be a little strong. Same with firing from a position that is not well lit into one that is, you can washout. Its not really a big deal, and kinda a specific scenario for that to happen, but it can. One optic that you can consider too is the browe combat optic. Its an interesting take on what trijicon wouldn’t do. You have options. ACOGs are excellent. Trijicons LPVOs have excellent glass as well. If you’re only going from 0-300 or so that would be something to consider as well. Find a shop that sells both. That way you can see the difference between the two firsthand without any surprises.

The battle proven part! I was just saying the acog wasn't for me, but does work for others and their needs. Not all optics gets the chance for battle worthiness. Good point on find a place to look before you buy when you can! Another option that works for me at least, mro w/magnifier. It gives me a better fov, especially cq. A tube even with both eyes open still has fov limitations on the left or right eye shooter. RandonHero's links are worth a look!

Back