testtest

Advice for beginners

In the older less insulated vehicles from the early '70s. Is making sure the muzzle is outside the vehicle before pulling the trigger. A 22 mag pistol is pretty loud inside a pickup.
You would think that pulling the trigger on anything in closed quarters would preceded by, "how noisy is this gonna be?" But it's not! :LOL:

We are all beginners at one time or another.Shooting can be fun. "BUT" you will never know how you will react until the time comes.I saw this while in the Marines.The first time,you just never know.In a civilian enviorment.There is so much more to consider.Especially it seems these days.When we as firearms owners are at times looked like as the bad guys.No doubt.When you fire on someone.your life changes forever

Take a class. If you're a woman take a class with woman instructors.
I have had women instructors in many facets of my life. Even flight instructors.
I find them to be very diligent. In the close quarters of a small aircraft they always
smelled better than my guy instructors. Women will take time and not be in a
hurry to get the material across.
But then all through school most of the teachers are women. I guess because they
are very good at it.

SMSgtRod has it right. Go with an instructor. I was a police firearms instructor for 20 years and a police academy instructor for 10 years after I retired. We always preferred non-shooters as students at the academy as opposed to those taught by Uncle John or neighbor Jim. When some one is not taught the basics correctly, it is that much harder to get rid of all the bad habits they learned. You have to put together stance, grip, sight alignment and trigger control to become a good shot.

I wish people around here were smart enough to be on some of these forums I am on. These people have CCWs and think they know more than I do as an instructor. They tell people to go buy a gun and take a CCW course, not go learn to shoot it. They think the CCW course is a basic course and only information about the law. I am not a CCW instructor at this time but friends that are say that it is a double edge sword. If you turn them away without the basics, they will find someone else. If you teach them you have to take extra time to teach them how to shoot enough to get them to qualify.

When I teach them every little basic thing and work with them in the class. Stance, grip, sight alignment, sight picture, trigger control and follow through. I also teach and watch them with muzzle awareness. I hate being on the line next to some of these people that have no muzzle awareness and they muzzle down the line when they reload or have an issue.

I wish people around here were smart enough to be on some of these forums I am on. These people have CCWs and think they know more than I do as an instructor. They tell people to go buy a gun and take a CCW course, not go learn to shoot it. They think the CCW course is a basic course and only information about the law. I am not a CCW instructor at this time but friends that are say that it is a double edge sword. If you turn them away without the basics, they will find someone else. If you teach them you have to take extra time to teach them how to shoot enough to get them to qualify.

When I teach them every little basic thing and work with them in the class. Stance, grip, sight alignment, sight picture, trigger control and follow through. I also teach and watch them with muzzle awareness. I hate being on the line next to some of these people that have no muzzle awareness and they muzzle down the line when they reload or have an issue.
No :poop:

Safety and gun operation. Every person that holds a gun should be able dismantle, deal with a jam, understand fail to fire, and everything else that can go wrong in this sport (SAFELY). It doesn't take long for the beginning shooter to start becoming the solo shooter at a range near you. With my wife and children this was something that was worked on frequently and now they can comfortably and confidently handle the basic mishaps being aware of the #1 item, Barrel Position. Ironically they have all tweaked their grip and stance but still hit with acceptable accuracy.

The range by me has an assortment of classes from intro to firearms to advanced classes.
They also rent many different firearms.
My advice is take a class, try quite a few before buying, just because you killed zombies in the basement does not make you an expert..
I have seen my share of zombie killers at the range.

Back