testtest

Advice

the obsrver

Master Class
Ok, I want to build a privacy fence around my back yard. Problem is I park my rv back there. So I need a big "gate" as turning radius is to tight for an 8ft one. I was thinking to just have two 8ft fence panels swing open. However and this is my problem, I want to put a 4x4 in the middle of them for strength. I was thinking about a 4x4 that can be removed easily. Anyone have any experience with such a thing? I am thinking that I may be able to cement a stub into the ground and use a couple of heavy duty hinge type things and just pull the pins to remove. as long as the stub is short and not sharp enough to pop a tire just in case I hit it. I should be ok. Anyone know of a solution to such a thing????
Thanks.

Ok, I want to build a privacy fence around my back yard. Problem is I park my rv back there. So I need a big "gate" as turning radius is to tight for an 8ft one. I was thinking to just have two 8ft fence panels swing open. However and this is my problem, I want to put a 4x4 in the middle of them for strength. I was thinking about a 4x4 that can be removed easily. Anyone have any experience with such a thing? I am thinking that I may be able to cement a stub into the ground and use a couple of heavy duty hinge type things and just pull the pins to remove. as long as the stub is short and not sharp enough to pop a tire just in case I hit it. I should be ok. Anyone know of a solution to such a thing????
Thanks.
....Wheels on hinged gates come to mind.

That is a good idea. Then when closed it can be secured at each end stoutly.
Locating good heavy duty pulleys may be an obstacle with sliders? Also, don't forget about other needs like possible switch locations, they can get buried or obstruct gate if not keeping in mind while building. Don't go cheap on pulleys if going that direction. Greaseable/serviceable ones are usually best. Locally, try a farm supply store if for nothing more than ideas? And, since this is a gun forum, not an RV or fencing forum, don't forget to calibrate and sight in both? :) Am kidding!

Maybe considering a 16' wide, either one or two section gate is overthinking your requirement a bit. How about a 12' wide which should give enough width to make the necessary turns and still allow for a one section gate.

I have a 10’ gate with a 6’ and 4’ section; removable post in the “middle”, goes into a pipe set in the ground. Works well.
Is one of the best and easiest methods out there. Usually 3/4" iron pipe.
There is also a premanufactured post pin set up that fastens to gate and can go into pipe set in ground.

Maybe considering a 16' wide, either one or two section gate is overthinking your requirement a bit. How about a 12' wide which should give enough width to make the necessary turns and still allow for a one section gate.

That is exact;y what I was thinking after the idea of a slider came up. 12ft should work just fine. Just going to have to put a bigger post or two in on the slider side.
I really am liking that idea. Thanks Old_me.

Thanks.
I have 2 8' gates for a big double opening in my 6" wooden privacy fence. No need for a 4x4 in the center. You can use turnbuckles which will keep the gates from sagging and/or put wheels on the gates on the inside. Mine have been up and sag free for 4 years now.

That is exact;y what I was thinking after the idea of a slider came up. 12ft should work just fine. Just going to have to put a bigger post or two in on the slider side.
I really am liking that idea. Thanks Old_me.
Generally speaking, gate posts are longer than line posts and quick-setted in concrete for more durability. Corner posts usually are set the same as gate posts.

Bassbob said: "I have 2 8' gates for a big double opening in my 6" wooden privacy fence."...... so Bob, why the hell do you even need a gate for a 6" privacy fence? Can't you just step over it? :D:D:D;) But then so could your neighbor, or your neighbor's dog, or his cat. You do realize that don't you? LOL!

Of course the emphasis is mine !!!

Bassbob said: "I have 2 8' gates for a big double opening in my 6" wooden privacy fence."...... so Bob, why the hell do you even need a gate for a 6" privacy fence? Can't you just step over it? :D:D:D;) But then so could your neighbor, or your neighbor's dog, or his cat. You do realize that don't you? LOL!

I blame alcohol for the typo.

New GI Joe enclosure? With old GI Joe would need at least 1'. :)

Back