testtest

AFFORDABLE 1911S

If they work. There are plenty quality used guns available at the price point
Maybe you have seen it. But in my 12 years of being into firearms, I have neer seen a quality used gun for around $150 to $200

And most first-time gun buyers are going to be hesitant to buy used, and they aren't going to be savy to use Gun Broker and such. Not to mention, with things like gun broker, you are adding on usually $0 to $100 between shipping and the background check once it arrives at the FFL

Fact is you can pretty much always find a Hi Point C9 or 380 for about $150. If you buy it at the gun shop the background check is a few $.

Now you have to add in a holster, range ammo, and defensive ammo, ata minimum. of course, required training and permit fees can be quite expensive in some states.

So $150 for the gun vs $300 (at a minimum) for the next cheapest quality handgun, and that $150 can make a huge difference.

If I had more money, I would buy a lot of guns over the Hi Point. But if someone was on a tihgt budget I will recommend the C9 all day.

There is a need for low cost firearms.

If you look hard enough there are tons of decent deals out there. Especially when you hmget into surplus, especially used police trade ins and even military surplus. Thry might be beat to snot looks wise but most will be perfectly sound functionally. The majority of officers I have known do not shoot excessively to wear out handguns. Same can be said about most military surplus. Yeah the 1911s you find are pretty rough but you have to remember they were in service about 100 years.

If you look hard enough there are tons of decent deals out there. Especially when you hmget into surplus, especially used police trade ins and even military surplus. Thry might be beat to snot looks wise but most will be perfectly sound functionally. The majority of officers I have known do not shoot excessively to wear out handguns. Same can be said about most military surplus. Yeah the 1911s you find are pretty rough but you have to remember they were in service about 100 years.
I was just mentioning AIM surplus had X-grade (really rough wear, but nothing wrong mechanically) PD trade Glock 22’s for $219. Shipping & transfer is still under $300.

I would never recommend a Hi Point to anyone I cared about. The gun shops that sell them should be ashamed of themselves.
I hear that a lot and completely don't understand. I have had personal experience with three of them, and have many friends who have them.

And I won't deal with a shop that won't sell them.

My personal experience has been the only people who don't like them are either gun snobs or people who have no actual experience and have only heard stories.

The Hi Point C9 is one of the most torture tested handguns on the market. And it just works.

Last edited:
Now this is what we need. In my opinion, this is what gun companies need to be making. Affordable good guns.

Just saw this in an article about new handguns at SHOT Show, however, it looks like they did some kind of soft release already as I have found a few articles from Dec 23 or early Jan 24. And I have found a couple of websites selling it for $300 or less

Smith & Wesson rolled out an updated version of its SD9, a budget-priced striker-fired pistol, in December 2023.

https://www.smith-wesson.com/product/sw-sd9-2-2-tone-16rd

Highlights​

• Compact, striker-fired
  • 16-round capacity
  • 4-inch stainless barrel
  • 2-slot accessory rail
  • MSRP: $350
This is a pretty straightforward polymer-framed pistol with good ergonomics, a 16-round capacity, and some nice white 3-dot iron sights. It has a two-tone finish, and some updates include a flat trigger shoe and more aggressive slide serrations. It’s got a small magazine release that’s nicely protected by a raised portion of the grip, flush-fitting magazines, and a two-slot accessory rail. At a street price of about $300, it’s one of the most affordable quality handguns from SHOT Show 2024.

Attachments

• SD 9 2.0.jpg
    SD 9 2.0.jpg
    128 KB · Views: 17
Last edited:
I hear that a lot and completely don't understand. I have had personal experience with three of them, and have many friends who have them.

My personal experience has been the only people who don't like them are either gun snobs or people who have no actual experience and have only heard stories.

The Hi Point C9 is one of the most torture tested handguns on the market. And it just works.
Confessed gun snob here. I guess it is why I hang out here on the Springfield Armory Forum.😉😁

Confessed gun snob here. I guess it is why I hang out here on the Springfield Armory Forum.😉😁
Well, it's ok as long as you can admit it. :)

I get it, Hi Points are ugly and feel cheap. No denying it.

But they do work.

Now I have owned and XD and it was probably my favorite I have owned and I regret selling it. I liked it much better than my duty G45. I also have had a duty G21 and have a G17. i also have a Kimber 1911 and have owned a first Gen Shield 9MM. And I currently have a Hell Cat Pro that I love. I also currently own a Hi Point JXP 10

SO I know first hand the difference in fit and finish. I carry my G17 Kimber or Hellcat, but never the JXP.

But there is definitely a need for cheap guns, and personally I would prefer companies focus on more of those and less of $1000 + ones

I would never recommend a Hi Point to anyone I cared about. The gun shops that sell them should be ashamed of themselves.
on the one hand, i agree with you.

on the other....

when i was hanging around at the mom/pop bait/gun store last year, they would have "some" people of a low income, that just wanted a home defensive gun, for what they could afford.

i'd not really recommend any Hi Point as well, but when i would witness that, at the very least, it was better to have it.

used guns here, either at that mom/pop store, or the larger gun stores here, sell for much more used than a new Hi Point. they simply cannot afford that.

I know from the gun club half a dozen guys who own hi points, even owned one myself, a .45 carbine. My wife picked it out, added grips laser an light and used it until her wrists got too bad to hold the weight of it. Then we included it in a kit we gave to a nephew who loves it.

Everyone who has one i know Says same thing, big, heavy, ugly, but they always go bang.

Yeah, I have heard the horror stories over the net, but never encountered anyone who has had one.

I have one direct experience with a malfunctioning hi point and an oft told story here about a St. Louis county cop who owes his life to a malfunctioning Hi point 9mm.

Now far be it from me to chastise anyone for ANY choice they make, but let’s not conflate justification of a questionable purchase with fact. The fact is Hi Points have a higher rate of failure than the better quality handguns. Taurus does too. It’s verifiable.

If by torture test you mean guys on YouTube doing gun videos I’m not in a position to argue. If you mean actual testing done by manufacturers and professionals it’s a different story. Unless you can show me where HiPoint designed and tested their guns to run 90k rounds in a very short amount of time with no maintenance performed and no failures.

It’s good that really poor people have options, but if I have to protect my wife or daughter’s lives it’s not gonna be with a Hi Point.

I have one direct experience with a malfunctioning hi point and an oft told story here about a St. Louis county cop who owes his life to a malfunctioning Hi point 9mm.

Now far be it from me to chastise anyone for ANY choice they make, but let’s not conflate justification of a questionable purchase with fact. The fact is Hi Points have a higher rate of failure than the better quality handguns. Taurus does too. It’s verifiable.

If by torture test you mean guys on YouTube doing gun videos I’m not in a position to argue. If you mean actual testing done by manufacturers and professionals it’s a different story. Unless you can show me where HiPoint designed and tested their guns to run 90k rounds in a very short amount of time with no maintenance performed and no failures.

It’s good that really poor people have options, but if I have to protect my wife or daughter’s lives it’s not gonna be with a Hi Point.
Could you pass the Grey Poupon please Bob?

Back when I helped out a buddy with PTC classes, there were three guns that I knew we’d more likely than not have issues with (in no particular order):

Any gun the owner bragged about “slicking up”—Glock, 1911, even revolvers…

Taurus.

High Points.

Nice article on affordable 1911’s, some will say you mean a Taurus 1911, I had one in stainless back in 2012 in 9mm, fed anything I threw at it

Good article Anni thanks I have a cheaper Smithfield which I love it’s run really well no issues looks good too
IMG_0108.jpeg

I’m not a High Point fan, but if, and I say if I had to get a gun for personal defense, and I couldn’t afford a better one, I rather have the high point instead of a SCCY, and on Taurus quality control, yea, definitely a hit and miss at times, but those of you who remember when Bungor Punta, Lear Siguler and of course Tompkins owned S&W and sold out to the anti gun crowed with the lock, there was plenty of QC issues with there guns, just sayin, lots of companies did and still do, it happens

Back