testtest

After 50 Years, the Army and Marine Corps Are Closing In on Dumping Brass-Cased Ammo

From what I have read about this it is going to be for the military mainly. We will be able to buy it but it will not replace the brass for the civilian market. I think that they might have a problem with it melting and sticking in a hot barrel after it cools down with a live round loaded.

My concern is AR-type features does not include our current AR platforms. I’m guessing that the cartridge re-design is years away but my question still stands that the article did not address wether current cartridge design will still be available for the non military?

If the switch is made & the Sig .277 is selected I can see the industry making AR-10 platforms available to the civi market, perhaps eventually the new Sig rifle in SA version.

But initially I think ammo costs would be high.

My .02

From what I have read about this it is going to be for the military mainly. We will be able to buy it but it will not replace the brass for the civilian market. I think that they might have a problem with it melting and sticking in a hot barrel after it cools down with a live round loaded.

If one of the polymer case cartridge designs is selected I agree. The polymer is designed not to stick.

But because of the non-traditional case design of the three polymer proposals I don't see that trickling down to the civi market due to the complexity of building a firearm to use it.

If one of the polymer case cartridge designs is selected I agree. The polymer is designed not to stick.

But because of the non-traditional case design of the three polymer proposals I don't see that trickling down to the civi market due to the complexity of building a firearm to use it.
I pretty sure u can buy from true velocity now. They team up with sierra bullets. They make 9mm and more common rounds.

I bought several boxes of polymer cased .556 Rem from Cabellas probably 20 years ago. They said the national guard was using it for training. It functioned well but was pretty fragile unless it was in the magazine. Think I still have a few boxes on the shelf.

Anyone remember Voere . They developed an electronic rifle that fired caseless ammo. Extreme accuracy. Allegedly no barrel erosion. I remember reading about in the late 80s. I also remember reading about next gen weapons trials with smart munitions. H&K led the charge with (iirc) with programmable air burst munitions in grenade launchers and heads up range finders and target acquisition through helmet mounted visor. Kinda like Attack helicopter weapons systems. Real Buck Roger's kinda stuff. It all died out, too big, too heavy, way too expensive. This was 10-15 years before 9/11 .
I wonder if any of these platforms are still in discussion.

Anyone remember Voere . They developed an electronic rifle that fired caseless ammo. Extreme accuracy. Allegedly no barrel erosion. I remember reading about in the late 80s. I also remember reading about next gen weapons trials with smart munitions. H&K led the charge with (iirc) with programmable air burst munitions in grenade launchers and heads up range finders and target acquisition through helmet mounted visor. Kinda like Attack helicopter weapons systems. Real Buck Roger's kinda stuff. It all died out, too big, too heavy, way too expensive. This was 10-15 years before 9/11 .
I wonder if any of these platforms are still in discussion.

Yep.

Remington, had a caseless, electronic-fired round as well...EtronX.

Didn’t work out.

But I still want a G11.
BDE29B47-2CF7-456A-9039-FBA43B19FC4F.jpeg
CCA4B5A8-0929-41C2-BF6F-EDF4738FD87B.jpeg

Yep, that's the stuff. What's old is new again
Everyone keeps referencing the 40 watt plasma rifle from Terminator, but they forget about the real live goodies that were actually produced.

Very interesting article. I was wondering why not aluminum until I read about the lack of heat transfer with polymer. I've been shooting a lot of aluminum through my 45s and 10 lately with great results. Since I don't have the equipment to reload it's been a nice cost saving alternative.
Aluminum is not cheap! That should make military ammo go up!

There are four manufacturers in the competition.

The US mil designed the 6.8 cal. bullet & established a performance level.

Of the four only Sig has a brass/steel cartridge, the .277 Sig Fury. The rest have various polymer case designs.

https://www.tactical-life.com/gear/ammo/277-sig-fury-hybrid-case-design/

So at least Sig is jumping on the market with their cartridge proposal. Their rifle resembles AR-type features.
80k pressure, I want too sell them barrels!

If the switch is made & the Sig .277 is selected I can see the industry making AR-10 platforms available to the civi market, perhaps eventually the new Sig rifle in SA version.

But initially I think ammo costs would be high.

My .02
The sig cross 277 fury will be on the civi market! Last I checked! Don't see it in an AR platform(semi-auto) though!

Back