testtest

Aiming A Defensive Handgun, Is There One Right Way?

Good article on is there a right way in aiming a defensive handgun, some good information, some things I never thought of.

Many years ago I learned and both my wife and I practice with CO2 powered BB pistols. It is much cheaper than live ammo. The live ammo comes much later.

Muscle memory will prevail..
whichever technique is your muscle memory.
One can debate every technique known to man, but when “it” hits the fan, one will draw and go to memory.... if training was lax, so will be the “it hits the fan moment”.
also, all the training in the world will be different from some person with a gun in your face and you have to draw..

All you can do is train and hope your training is better than theirs

Are the terms this writer uses generally known and accepted as he defines them? Or is this one of those “match barrel” or “military grade” kinda things where it could mean something diff to another writer or reader?

In a partial answer to your question, let me offer this. Years ago when I was teaching our Game & Fish Commission's Hunter Safety program, we would mention sometimes a couple different sighting methods. Although certainly not "defensive", there are certain opportunities where a couple he's mentioned might come into play, although we intensely emphasized what he's calling "Precision" sight picture as 'Perfect' sight picture. Personally I think the description of "Perfect" is better suited to the need.

At any rate, when our session of sight alignment and sight picture was going on, in order to really emphasize just how important it was to make that 'one humane, instant kill shot', we would encourage the students to not just pick a spot on the shoulders of their intended game as their POA, but to literally pick out one hair on the shoulder.

We would often provide them with a target of a typical white tailed deer before range time and ask them to draw just one little hair on the shoulder with a black sharpie. That served two purposes: 1-showed the instructors the student truly did understand where to place the shot, and: 2-showed us they fully understood the necessity of a 'Perfect sight picture'.

Then when range time came we'd ask them where was their point of aim. They'd say "that one hair on the shoulder" Mr Joe. Obviously they knew and understood how the one hair point of aim was an exaggeration, but they also understood just how important a good/near 'perfect' aim was. (y) (y) (y)

I was the lead firearms instructor for 16 years at my department. Sight picture/Sight alignment, grip, stance, breathing can all be perfect and a miss still happens. Why, because the 3 most important things to shooting a pistol accurately are Trigger, Trigger and Trigger. Having a laser sight on a pistol and mixing a few dummy rounds into the magazine really helps a shooter to “see” the importance of trigger pull.

Had a trainer who stressed a “target focused” approach, to the point of anything within 50’ or so? Don’t bother with sights.

He’d demonstrate by using a Glock with no sights, and double tap steel at 15 yards—fast. Usually sub 1 second draw & shoot times.

Not sure if I agreed 100% with him, but I did take away some good skills.

Had a trainer who stressed a “target focused” approach, to the point of anything within 50’ or so? Don’t bother with sights.

He’d demonstrate by using a Glock with no sights, and double tap steel at 15 yards—fast. Usually sub 1 second draw & shoot times.

Not sure if I agreed 100% with him, but I did take away some good skills.
I bet he was a practicing fool...
Face it, all the articles, definitions, ‘systems’ and classes in the world are pointless if theres not an abundance of range time.

Back