testtest

All About Bullet Grain

Wow, some bad information in there...”lower grain” cartridges are more accurate?

So that’s why precision rifle shooters run 110gr .308's, and not 168 or 175gr...

Additionally...saying “lower grain” is like saying “lower pound” when referring to weight...

The author has his points of view and says...

Accuracy

With a lighter bullet, you generate more overall speed, which means a straighter trajectory.

This makes lighter rounds excellent for longer-distance shooting because they will give you closer groups downrange. (??)

One thing to watch out for, though, is wind. Because of the lighter weight, these bullets can be blown off course more easily.

And below that he says... But, on the flip side, the extra weight gives the bullet more stabilization against wind gusts.

So those points are correct. But, IMO his interpretations are off a bit.

While many long-range shooters use heavier weights some like the Palma shooters use 155 gr.

My .02

The author has his points of view and says...

Accuracy

With a lighter bullet, you generate more overall speed, which means a straighter trajectory.

This makes lighter rounds excellent for longer-distance shooting because they will give you closer groups downrange. (??)

One thing to watch out for, though, is wind. Because of the lighter weight, these bullets can be blown off course more easily.

And below that he says... But, on the flip side, the extra weight gives the bullet more stabilization against wind gusts.

So those points are correct. But, IMO his interpretations are off a bit.

While many long-range shooters use heavier weights some like the Palma shooters use 155 gr.

My .02

Correct me if I'm wrong—but aren't Palma shooters limited to 155gr by rules, not choice?

Back