testtest

Always wondered, though I would ask.

The high school I retired from had a ROTC program. It had at least 2 dozen M14s that the kids used for drill purposes. I went down to look at the rifles one afternoon after school was out. I found that the rifles had rods welded in the barrels, but the barrels had not been welded to the receivers. I think the bolts had been demilled as well. From what I could tell these receivers were still serviceable if a new barrel was threaded on and new bolts supplied. I told the Sargent Major that he needed to double his security. Soon after when things in Iraq heated up the Sargent Major was ordered to pack up all of the M14s and ship them to the Anniston Army Depot. I've often wondered how many ended up being overhauled and returned to service, or if they were eaten by Captain Crunch.

The high school I retired from had a ROTC program. It had at least 2 dozen M14s that the kids used for drill purposes. I went down to look at the rifles one afternoon after school was out. I found that the rifles had rods welded in the barrels, but the barrels had not been welded to the receivers. I think the bolts had been demilled as well. From what I could tell these receivers were still serviceable if a new barrel was threaded on and new bolts supplied. I told the Sargent Major that he needed to double his security. Soon after when things in Iraq heated up the Sargent Major was ordered to pack up all of the M14s and ship them to the Anniston Army Depot. I've often wondered how many ended up being overhauled and returned to service, or if they were eaten by Captain Crunch.
May have been sent to and sold from the CMP in 'Dega.

You can thank Robert McNamara for the M16 not having a chromed chamber.
He had zero experience in firearms but made the decision of no chromed chamber as is cheaper, along with no cleaning kits. My older brother while in Viet-Nam in 67-68 asked parents to send Outer cleaning kits with extra of their fluids and lubes. He stated that the lube the Army gave them was so sticky and they had to clean rifle a few times every day even if unfired.

Unfortunately the first one to receive the Mattel M-16 in Vietnam were the guinea pigs to personally find out the serious issues.
Fast forward, the present M4 is much improved rifle.
Lexie, that why we called it "McNamara's War"
May have been sent to and sold from the CMP in 'Dega.

Back