testtest

Ammo shipping...

Peglegjoe

Professional
Founding Member
So, I've ALWAYS gotten my ammo online, in bulk. Never had a problem. Went to ammoseek.com, optics planet had a decent (for COVID-era, anyway) price on 9mm, so I tried to get some.

Error message. "Cannot ship to your state due to state laws".

HUH???

I also tried to send them a message about it through "contact us", and got "we were unable to send your message at this time".

Anyone else have any issues trying to order from Optics Planet in the past?

So, I've ALWAYS gotten my ammo online, in bulk. Never had a problem. Went to ammoseek.com, optics planet had a decent (for COVID-era, anyway) price on 9mm, so I tried to get some.

Error message. "Cannot ship to your state due to state laws".

HUH???

I also tried to send them a message about it through "contact us", and got "we were unable to send your message at this time".

Anyone else have any issues trying to order from Optics Planet in the past?
Can't say I've ever order ammo from them before, but I recently ordered Romeo Zero & Romeo 5 optics, flip up sights, CAA MCK accessory bundle and am awaiting a back order that just shipped for some APX mag sleeves to eventually make 15 round APX mags "look nice" when I load them into my APX compact (once I install that grip onto my APX Centurion). No messages like you got, other than "item is on back order and will be shipped once received" message when I placed an order for something that is on back order (nice that they don't charge the CC until order ships).
Perhaps the Republic of Maryland slipped through an online ammo ban bill while you were sleeping :sleep:. For your sake I hope not, but some of these States continue their push to make it difficult to own and shoot guns. :mad:

I've never ordered ammo from them online before but I used to buy a lot of accessories and AR complete uppers from them until about 4 months ago when their shipping started to suck really bad even on in stock items taking weeks to get.

I mostly shop Primary Arms and Midway Usa now because they have great prices and extremely fast shipping typically 1 day after ordering the product its on the road.

I just found it weird that they said "your state". I know why Springfield wouldn't send me 13rd mags for my Hellcat...but ammo? And, I always buy in 1,000 rd quantities so it's not like it's a "bulk" thing...

Strange.

And frustrating. It was "only" (again, this is COVID pricing) $.36/rd for brass case FMJ. Grrr.

I just found it weird that they said "your state". I know why Springfield wouldn't send me 13rd mags for my Hellcat...but ammo? And, I always buy in 1,000 rd quantities so it's not like it's a "bulk" thing...

Strange.

And frustrating. It was "only" (again, this is COVID pricing) $.36/rd for brass case FMJ. Grrr.
That is strange. Try sending them an email to their contact info asking what's up with trying to order ammo. I sent an email to them recently asking about OP Bucks and they responded pretty quickly (after receiving the auto generated "we're very busy with inquires and it may take several days to answer you" or something to that effect. I still got a response the next day.

They may have a policy to not ship ammo to states that are 2A restrictive. When I lived in Massachusetts most online retailer's would not ship ammo there for fear of running foul of the ever changing draconian laws there. The Massachusetts attorney general has already sued a few different firearms manufacturer's and online companies in the past.

They may have a policy to not ship ammo to states that are 2A restrictive. When I lived in Massachusetts most online retailer's would not ship ammo there for fear of running foul of the ever changing draconian laws there. The Massachusetts attorney general has already sued a few different firearms manufacturer's and online companies in the past.
Looks like you may be right about this 10. Here's OP's restrictions I found on their website, (all restrictions in Link provided below). I copied and pasted the Ammunition restriction here (I highlighted/underlined Maryland and reason for restriction below):

"By purchasing Ammunition from OpticsPlanet, you certify that you have read and understand the following:
  • 1) You have reviewed all United States federal, state, and/or local laws and regulations related to the use, possession, purchase and/or ownership of the item and you are legally permitted to use, possess, purchase and/or own the ammunition.
  • 2) You are over twenty-one (21) years of age
  • 3) Your purchase is in compliance with 18 USC § 922, certain portions are as follows--
  • (g) It shall be unlawful for any person--
  • (1) who has been convicted in any court of, a crime punishable by imprisonment for a term exceeding one year;
  • (2) who is a fugitive from justice;
  • (3) who is an unlawful user of or addicted to any controlled substance (as defined in section 102 of the Controlled Substances Act (21 U.S.C. 802 ));
  • (4) who has been adjudicated as a mental defective or who has been committed to a mental institution;
  • (5) who, being an alien--
  • (A) is illegally or unlawfully in the United States; or
  • (B) except as provided in subsection (Y) (2), has been admitted to the United States under a nonimmigrant visa (as that term is defined in section 101(a)(26) of the Immigration and Nationality Act ( 8 U.S.C. 1101(a)(26) ));
  • (6) who has been discharged from the Armed Forces under dishonorable conditions;
  • (7) who, having been a citizen of the United States, has renounced his citizenship;
  • (8) who is subject to a court order that--
  • (A) was issued after a hearing of which such person received actual notice, and at which such person had an opportunity to participate;
  • (B) restrains such person from harassing, stalking, or threatening an intimate partner of such person or child of such intimate partner or person, or engaging in other conduct that would place an intimate partner in reasonable fear of bodily injury to the partner or child; and
  • (C)(i) includes a finding that such person represents a credible threat to the physical safety of such intimate partner or child; or
  • (ii) by its terms explicitly prohibits the use, attempted use, or threatened use of physical force against such intimate partner or child that would reasonably be expected to cause bodily injury; or
  • (9) who has been convicted in any court of a misdemeanor crime of domestic violence,
  • to ship or transport in interstate or foreign commerce, or possess in or affecting commerce, any firearm or ammunition; or to receive any firearm or ammunition which has been shipped or transported in interstate or foreign commerce.
  • (N) It shall be unlawful for any person who is under indictment for a crime punishable by imprisonment for a term exceeding one year to ship or transport in interstate or foreign commerce any firearm or ammunition or receive any firearm or ammunition which has been shipped or transported in interstate or foreign commerce.
OpticsPlanet does not currently support sales of ammunition to a number of locations, including, but not limited to, the following:
  • Alaska
  • California
  • Connecticut
  • Hawaii
  • Illinois
  • Maryland
  • Massachusetts
  • New Jersey
  • New York
  • Washington, D.C
  • P.O. Boxes; U.S. Territories
Certain federal, local and state level laws make selling to these locations operationally or legally prohibitive for OpticsPlanet at this time. We apologize for any inconvenience.
OpticsPlanet does not accept returns of ammunition for any reason - no exceptions. Please ensure all items are correct before submitting your order for any ammunition products.
Due to supply chain shortages or available supply, OpticsPlanet reserves the right to limit the sale of ammunition to end users.

Returns for ammunition products will not be accepted for any reason. No refunds will be issued for any reason for any returned ammunition."

Optics Planet restriction link:

Looks like you may be right about this 10. Here's OP's restrictions I found on their website, (all restrictions in Link provided below). I copied and pasted the Ammunition restriction here (I highlighted/underlined Maryland and reason for restriction below):

"By purchasing Ammunition from OpticsPlanet, you certify that you have read and understand the following:
  • 1) You have reviewed all United States federal, state, and/or local laws and regulations related to the use, possession, purchase and/or ownership of the item and you are legally permitted to use, possess, purchase and/or own the ammunition.
  • 2) You are over twenty-one (21) years of age
  • 3) Your purchase is in compliance with 18 USC § 922, certain portions are as follows--
  • (g) It shall be unlawful for any person--
  • (1) who has been convicted in any court of, a crime punishable by imprisonment for a term exceeding one year;
  • (2) who is a fugitive from justice;
  • (3) who is an unlawful user of or addicted to any controlled substance (as defined in section 102 of the Controlled Substances Act (21 U.S.C. 802 ));
  • (4) who has been adjudicated as a mental defective or who has been committed to a mental institution;
  • (5) who, being an alien--
  • (A) is illegally or unlawfully in the United States; or
  • (B) except as provided in subsection (Y) (2), has been admitted to the United States under a nonimmigrant visa (as that term is defined in section 101(a)(26) of the Immigration and Nationality Act ( 8 U.S.C. 1101(a)(26) ));
  • (6) who has been discharged from the Armed Forces under dishonorable conditions;
  • (7) who, having been a citizen of the United States, has renounced his citizenship;
  • (8) who is subject to a court order that--
  • (A) was issued after a hearing of which such person received actual notice, and at which such person had an opportunity to participate;
  • (B) restrains such person from harassing, stalking, or threatening an intimate partner of such person or child of such intimate partner or person, or engaging in other conduct that would place an intimate partner in reasonable fear of bodily injury to the partner or child; and
  • (C)(i) includes a finding that such person represents a credible threat to the physical safety of such intimate partner or child; or
  • (ii) by its terms explicitly prohibits the use, attempted use, or threatened use of physical force against such intimate partner or child that would reasonably be expected to cause bodily injury; or
  • (9) who has been convicted in any court of a misdemeanor crime of domestic violence,
  • to ship or transport in interstate or foreign commerce, or possess in or affecting commerce, any firearm or ammunition; or to receive any firearm or ammunition which has been shipped or transported in interstate or foreign commerce.
  • (N) It shall be unlawful for any person who is under indictment for a crime punishable by imprisonment for a term exceeding one year to ship or transport in interstate or foreign commerce any firearm or ammunition or receive any firearm or ammunition which has been shipped or transported in interstate or foreign commerce.
OpticsPlanet does not currently support sales of ammunition to a number of locations, including, but not limited to, the following:
  • Alaska
  • California
  • Connecticut
  • Hawaii
  • Illinois
  • Maryland
  • Massachusetts
  • New Jersey
  • New York
  • Washington, D.C
  • P.O. Boxes; U.S. Territories
Certain federal, local and state level laws make selling to these locations operationally or legally prohibitive for OpticsPlanet at this time. We apologize for any inconvenience.
OpticsPlanet does not accept returns of ammunition for any reason - no exceptions. Please ensure all items are correct before submitting your order for any ammunition products.
Due to supply chain shortages or available supply, OpticsPlanet reserves the right to limit the sale of ammunition to end users.

Returns for ammunition products will not be accepted for any reason. No refunds will be issued for any reason for any returned ammunition."

Optics Planet restriction link:

Target Sports Usa was the only online store that would ship to Massachusetts only if you uploaded a copy of your LTC to them while placing the order.

Target Sports Usa was the only online store that would ship to Massachusetts only if you uploaded a copy of your LTC to them while placing the order.
It seems as though Peglegjoe has ordered online successfully from other companies as he mention previously. Looks like OP is one that restricts sales to his State though.

Same problem in NJ attempting to order from Ammoman.com and bulkammo.com last week. I emailed for an explanation and both stated the exact same thing, "due to everything going on right now in the country we had to temporarily suspend shipping to certain areas of the country" I haven idea what that even means and neither site will explain further.

Here are the shipping location restrictions that Federal uses:

"Due to state restrictions, Federal does not sell or ship ammunition to the states of Alaska, California, Connecticut, Hawaii, Illinois, Massachusetts, New York or Washington D.C.
  • Ammunition sales to New Jersey residents are restricted to shotshell and centerfire rifle ammunition only.
  • Ammunition components are not available to residents of Massachusetts or Washington D.C."

Ordered some 22lr from Rogers Sporting Goods yesterday with no problem. This is probably because I live in the Free Republic of Texas.

In all seriousness, I looked at Optics Planet’s price yesterday and debated ordering from them, but they are so sketchy on their service that I figured it was too good to be true. Turns out it probably was. Count yourself lucky they didn’t take your order. You would have gotten a notice after they’d taken your payment that they were out of stock and getting your payment refunded would have been a huge headache. Ask me how I know.

Several weeks ago, I took a chance and pre-ordered .380 ammo from Optics Planet. When I placed the order on 09/22 they stated that it would take 6-9 weeks for delivery. When I checked today, the site estimates delivery on 02/03/2021. Math wasn't my best subject, but I'm pretty sure 4.5 months is more than 9 weeks.

Man, there are about a million people right now complaining about Optics Planet. Orders from months ago haven't been filled, etc... I would avoid that place like the plague right now.
They ramped up all there prices when Covid first hit also. I've sworn off of them for the price gouging and terrible shipping times. They used to be good to deal with.

Back