testtest

Ammo value

Tom C

Alpha
An acquaintance is liquidating his recently deceased relative's firearms and ammo stash. I'm interested in the 9mm and .223 and am wondering what a fair price might be per round given the prices of new ammo today. I don't know which brands he has.

Depends on the brand and type of round. But, to give a comparison, in big box stores FMJ 9mm is going for around $0.38/round.

FMJ .223/5.56 is roughly $0.70/rd.

Defensive rounds vary by type and grain count, but between $1.00 - $2.00/rd depending.

Personally I wouldn't even be interested in second hand ammo unless it was at or very near pre-covid prices.
Well, let’s be honest...it’s not like it goes bad, or is any different than ammo sitting on the shelf (unless they did something dumb and emptied the boxes dumped it all in a bulk ammo can...).

I’d pay more than pre C19, but not going rate.

Oh...and I gotta point something out (not from you, @Bassbob )...

“Grain Count”. Folks, we are talking about a unit of weight measurement, like a pound, ounce or gram.

You aren’t going to say a steak’s price would depend on it’s ounce count.

Just refer to it as “bullet weight”.

Well, let’s be honest...it’s not like it goes bad, or is any different than ammo sitting on the shelf (unless they did something dumb and emptied the boxes dumped it all in a bulk ammo can...).

I’d pay more than pre C19, but not going rate.

Oh...and I gotta point something out (not from you, @Bassbob )...

“Grain Count”. Folks, we are talking about a unit of weight measurement, like a pound, ounce or gram.

You aren’t going to say a steak’s price would depend on it’s ounce count.

Just refer to it as “bullet weight”.
I get that, but if the price difference wasn't significant I would just buy new.

An acquaintance is liquidating his recently deceased relative's firearms and ammo stash. I'm interested in the 9mm and .223 and am wondering what a fair price might be per round given the prices of new ammo today. I don't know which brands he has.
Depends on variables....Is it factory or reloads, boxed or loose rounds, different mixed varieties? Ballpark, w/o seeing? Possibly .30 -.50 ballpark per round. 1st question though, ask what they want for it, is usually in everyone's best interest.

ask what they want for it, is usually in everyone's best interest.
100% best plan, when they state they're unsure then throw out a good offer you're comfortable with.
Two yrs ago this same thing happened to me. My girlfriends mother lost her husband and asked if I was interested in a case of .223 ammo. I stated I sure was, when I went to look at it it turned out to be Norinco. She told me a price that she had looked up for federal premium and that was the going rate I had to educate her on the difference and that the Norinco was Chinese and sold for about $2 a box when it was imported. I offered her $3 a box she got upset at what she thought was a low ball offer. I tried to explain that the brass was not even suitable for reloading as I had tried to reload both the Norinco 9mm and .223 brass and it wouldn't size correctly as it would buldge near the rims and it wouldn't chamber.

It's best to get a good look and try to negotiate to everyone's best interest.

Back