testtest

An Heirloom

My grandfather's widow doesn't know guns very well and brought down what she thought was a shotgun and a rifle. Unfortunately, one was a Savage bolt action new about 10 years ago. The other is a Remington 513 that was built sometime in the 40s. The scope is original and the sling may be as well.

Screw the 10/22, this is my new small game gun.

I'll be cleaning and restoring the leather, polishing the brass and oiling and polishing the wood stock.

As for the shotgun, she's hoping to find it. She had some contractors come in and had to move some things around and either a contractor stole it, or she's misplaced it in that huge cabin of theirs.

My understanding is that my great grandfather added some wooden carvings to that old shotgun. I've never seen the piece but would love to have it.

Here's the Remington 513
Screenshot_20221126-195531-813.png

The current issue of Rifle magazine (I just got mine at Walmart) features these old Remington .22s in the gunsmithing column. Lots of good info and pictures. Apparently there's some sort of inherent problem in the bolt/cocking system. Something about wear. It can't be permanently fixed, but it looks like with proper lubrication, the problem can be minimized to extend the gun's life. It looks like yours hasn't been shot that much, so it might never be a problem for you. Check out that article if you can.

The current issue of Rifle magazine (I just got mine at Walmart) features these old Remington .22s in the gunsmithing column. Lots of good info and pictures. Apparently there's some sort of inherent problem in the bolt/cocking system. Something about wear. It can't be permanently fixed, but it looks like with proper lubrication, the problem can be minimized to extend the gun's life. It looks like yours hasn't been shot that much, so it might never be a problem for you. Check out that article if you can.
As I understand it, it was used pretty heavily but very well taken care of. I could be wrong too of course

My grandfather's widow doesn't know guns very well and brought down what she thought was a shotgun and a rifle. Unfortunately, one was a Savage bolt action new about 10 years ago. The other is a Remington 513 that was built sometime in the 40s. The scope is original and the sling may be as well.

Screw the 10/22, this is my new small game gun.

I'll be cleaning and restoring the leather, polishing the brass and oiling and polishing the wood stock.

As for the shotgun, she's hoping to find it. She had some contractors come in and had to move some things around and either a contractor stole it, or she's misplaced it in that huge cabin of theirs.

My understanding is that my great grandfather added some wooden carvings to that old shotgun. I've never seen the piece but would love to have it.

Here's the Remington 513
View attachment 32831
Nice! I’m a sucker for .22’s. Very cool acquisition. Glad to hear that it will be used too! Enjoy your new old gun.

I also have a 69A and love it.
My 69A turned out to have had the stock shortened. I lengthened it back with a crude piece of wood, then covered the whole mess with a lace-on leather recoil pad for a vintage look. It came with an old-school 3/4" or 7/8" scope, which I didn't care for. Here's how it looked shortly after I first got it:

Winchester69A01.JPG

I installed a Williams ramp front sight, and added a 2x-7xAO airgun scope. I eventually found a nice original stock on eBay, which gives me the freedom to "play with" this one a bit. I want to install a nicer looking buttpad, cut flutes in the stock comb, and reshape the "canoe" forend tip a bit. But this is how the gun looks right now. It's a VERY good shooter and I like it a lot.

FourBolts01.jpg

My 69A turned out to have had the stock shortened. I lengthened it back with a crude piece of wood, then covered the whole mess with a lace-on leather recoil pad for a vintage look. It came with an old-school 3/4" or 7/8" scope, which I didn't care for. Here's how it looked shortly after I first got it:

View attachment 32838

I installed a Williams ramp front sight, and added a 2x-7xAO airgun scope. I eventually found a nice original stock on eBay, which gives me the freedom to "play with" this one a bit. I want to install a nicer looking buttpad, cut flutes in the stock comb, and reshape the "canoe" forend tip a bit. But this is how the gun looks right now. It's a VERY good shooter and I like it a lot.

View attachment 32839
Very nice. This is my 69A. I hope th pic comes through. The estimated date of manufacture is somewhere between ‘54-‘57. Came with standard iron sights but i found a Weaver B4 scope in the original box on Ebay for $40.
This little gun gets some attention at the range. Accurate shooter too. One of my most fun guns to shoot.

Attachments

• E011E312-7E77-4051-8F03-6AAA6E31BA21.jpeg
    E011E312-7E77-4051-8F03-6AAA6E31BA21.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 51

View attachment 32838

View attachment 32839
Mine has a similar old school scope and it's blued. Not entirely sure but I'm confident in saying it's factory blue.

I have a really nice shooter, but well worn Win mod67 my dad left to me when he died a couple years ago. It's believed to be a first year vintage (1934), and I think it was maybe a precursor to the mod69 but not positive. I've heard several stories about it over the years, but the one I tend to believe is that grand daddy bought it for my dad when he was about 8 years old (my dad that is, grand daddy was a little older at the time). He bought it from a hardware/farm supply store I think and the store owner was a friend of his. I don't know for sure the purchase amount, but the story goes that grand daddy paid $1.50 per week every other week, then the in between weeks he paid with a quart of his 'well known' shine for the same value till it was 'paid in full'.

Either way that worked out, it seems to me a pretty good deal both ways.

Edit: congrats to all those above and to snake ..... what is that 2nd rifle down in the picture of the 4 in your post #9?

and to snake ..... what is that 2nd rifle down in the picture of the 4 in your post #9?
It's a faux Remington 541. I had a Rem 581 and back in the '80s, Numrich or somebody advertised an "update package" that included an original Rem 541 stock and new, heavier "varmint"-ish barrel. I bought one and had the barrel installed on my 581. I chased accuracy with this gun for over 20 years and it never shot well, no matter what I did (rebedded, free-floated and pressure-pointed the barrel, recrowned the muzzle, etc etc etc). As it turned out, the barrel was not made by Remington and was basically a piece of junk. I took it off and put the original 581 barrel back on and put it back in the original stock and the gun started shooting good again. Turns out the Numrich barrel had a VERY loose chamber and I've learned that chamber tightness is a major factor in .22LR accuracy. I put a receiver sight on the gun, and another Williams ramp front sight, and basically set it up as my peep-sighted .22 bolt rifle and have been very pleased with it ever since. I've got a pic of it somewhere but can't find it on the puter right now.

I thought it was a Rem 541. Sometime back about a year or so ago I told this story here on the forum.

I first saw one many years ago and really wanted that rifle, but the new wife and I had been saving to buy our first house together. On my way home after seeing that 541 I was figuring in my mind every way possible I might be able to talk her out of enough money we'd been saving for our new house account to buy that rifle, but when I got home she was going through some home maker's magazine looking at and dreaming about new furniture for the new house. At that point I just decided to pass on the rifle for the time being.

Unfortunately till this day I still don't have a 541 and likely never will, but we have had several new houses and several truck loads of new furniture over that time. That's been almost 50 years now as I recall since I saw that rifle, and in all honesty I've not regretted one bit not trying to talk her out of the money to buy that one I saw in the LGS.

Back