testtest

Another child dead

Thats right!!! Stupid parents with guns unsecured!! They need to go to jail, that's the only way you will get their attention.

Our jails are full of people who actually need to be there, these parents do not. I'd recommend the responsible parent be convicted of a felony, thus loosing their gun rights. Putting them in jail just adds to jail overcrowding. They have, after all, lost a child.

Hi,

I have six and eight year old grand daughters visiting sometimes. What I don't carry gets disassembled and/or locked up. They are not curious children, don't go sticking their fingers where they don't belong, but it's the responsible thing to do. Their parents are also gun owners, father is a former Marine.

Yes, these parents have tragically lost a child and it was due to THEIR OWN negligence. Is punishment not deserved? Involuntary manslaughter, anyone? Yes, it's a sad case. Perhaps the law allows no jail time in this scenario. I hope and pray it would never happen again. But we know better.

For goodness sake! His safe was "inoperable"? Surely he could afford to go to the neighborhood sporting goods store and buy a lockbox or two. I shy away from biometrics for that reason.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

I worked a case about 30 years ago where an 11 year old found the key to his dad's lock box by searching the house until he found the hiding place. He invited his next door neighbor 11 year old to " show him something". He got the hammer cocked on the .357 and unintentionally shot and killed the neighbor within 5 minutes after he walked in. We could not charge the parents because they had done what the law required to secure the gun. Never underestimate a child's ability to bypass your safety procedures. I have not recommended any kind of key lock for guns since then. There are high quality and reliable electronic and biometric locks available and a simple trigger lock will suffice if nothing else.

A senseless and preventable tragedy.

With just my lady and myself in the apartment, when I’m home I always have a gun within arms length.
819F017F-F42C-42C7-8FB7-E235DD6FB91F.jpeg

That being said even my lady knows not to touch my firearms unless I clear the weapon and hand it to her. I do that not because she’s unsafe with a gun but she knows the rules.
When her children visit with her grandchildren all my guns are locked in our bedroom closet and the key is inaccessible to everyone but me.

I don't have small children in my home. And when or if I do they are constantly in the immediate presence of myself or another responsible adult. When my daughter was at home I had a couple loaded guns around. From the time she was about 9 or 10 she could have easily grabbed one if she decided to. She also shot those guns with me in the back yard, understood gun safety rules and was a very responsible kid. No chance in hell she was ever going to "Stumble" on to a gun and pick it up. We are talking about a 3 year old kid here. Anyone who leaves loaded guns where toddlers can get a hold of them is an idiot and needs to punished for their stupidity. Leaving a 16 year old kid in charge of a couple toddlers and not securing your firearms is ridiculous.

A senseless and preventable tragedy.

With just my lady and myself in the apartment, when I’m home I always have a gun within arms length.
View attachment 36717
That being said even my lady knows not to touch my firearms unless I clear the weapon and hand it to her. I do that not because she’s unsafe with a gun but she knows the rules.
When her children visit with her grandchildren all my guns are locked in our bedroom closet and the key is inaccessible to everyone but me.
JMO but that gun should be in some kind of holster that securely covers the trigger

One of these for your bedroom/gun storage room door (in addition to a gun safe of course), adds an additional layer of safety against children getting their hands on your guns.

Easy to install, inexpensive, works great.

SoHoMiLL Electronic Keypad Door Knob and Lock Set with Backup Mechanical Key (Spring Latch Lock; Not Deadbolt; Not Phone Connected), Single Front keypad YL 99 Upgraded Model-B

https://a.co/d/ekB7qBL

There are no children in our home and very few visitors. With the exception of the gun I'm carrying, usually a Glock 26, every gun I own is locked in the safe at all times.

IMO there is no excuse for leaving and unattended, unsecured firearm anywhere in the house.

I remember reading an article by Kathy Jackson (Cornered Cat) in which she stated that there's a dichotomy between the idea that our home is so unsecure that we need to stash unattended firearms in every room of the house yet secure enough that we can leave unattended firearms in every room of the house and not worry about them being stolen by a burglar.

Ask some of the cops here what a house looks like after a burglary. If you stash a gun anywhere in your home any reasonably competent burglar will find it within minutes.

Lock your guns up.

Hi,

There are no children in our home and very few visitors. With the exception of the gun I'm carrying, usually a Glock 26, every gun I own is locked in the safe at all times.

IMO there is no excuse for leaving and unattended, unsecured firearm anywhere in the house.

I remember reading an article by Kathy Jackson (Cornered Cat) in which she stated that there's a dichotomy between the idea that our home is so unsecure that we need to stash unattended firearms in every room of the house yet secure enough that we can leave unattended firearms in every room of the house and not worry about them being stolen by a burglar.

Ask some of the cops here what a house looks like after a burglary. If you stash a gun anywhere in your home any reasonably competent burglar will find it within minutes.

Lock your guns up.

Overnight, when it's just Mrs. BassCliff and I, my XD9 is on my nightstand in all its bare naked glory, much like Mr. @Keystone19250. Of course, the situation is much different when the grandkids are spending the night.

Right now, all of my gun security measures are to keep them out of little hands. However, there will soon come a time when my little collection will reach critical mass and I will have to start thinking about security from theft. I have a couple of Stopbox units for staging and a couple of other boxes with locks. I need to start seriously looking at a safe that is securely anchored to the structure of my house in order to prevent theft in case of a burglary while I'm not home. I suppose it's worth the price of a couple of guns to protect all your guns. ;)

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

When my kids were younger I no safe place to secure long guns, so I never had any in my house. Back in '15 I built a 16x40 and added 2 safes and locking cabinets for all of my reloading components (ammo included). Ages of kids in '15 range from 7-17 tears of age. I was the only 1 to have access to the storage. They have a workout/lifting area inside the same building and they know the rules. Not all guns are secured, but not a single round of ammo is available to chamber. My oldest (25 next month) is the only 1 that knows the combo to the safe (wife also does).

Back