testtest

Another Dodge PU bits the dust.

Doesn’t matter, if he is overweight as far as payload capacity then he is overweight plain and simple. He could have also been traveling with full tanks meaning fresh water, grey water and black water tanks full because he couldn’t find any places to dump them.
I have (4) tanks in my 5th wheel…..
80 gallon fresh water….
(2) 40 gallon grey water
(1) 40 gallon black water tank
That is a total of 200 hundred gallons if full, 1 gallon equals roughly 8.3 pounds
So that is 1,660 pounds.
Let’s just say I travel with tanks empty.
Oh no doubt he was overloaded. My only thought was that the camper “seems” to be build for that bed length. If a one ton Duellie isn’t “enough” pickup, what it the world would be. Yea I know there “are” bigger PU’s but not many..

Oh no doubt he was overloaded. My only thought was that the camper “seems” to be build for that bed length. If a one ton Duellie isn’t “enough” pickup, what it the world would be. Yea I know there “are” bigger PU’s but not many..
You don’t think there are many bigger pickups than the dodge in this picture? And I’m not sure that is a duelly or a one ton. And even if it is that camper clearly was not meant to sit on a truck that way.

You don’t think there are many bigger pickups than the dodge in this picture? And I’m not sure that is a duelly or a one ton. And even if it is that camper clearly was not meant to sit on a truck that way.
That is a duelly and being a 3500 most likely a 1 ton but that is a 6.4 foot short bed truck and not designed for slide in campers

That is a duelly and being a 3500 most likely a 1 ton but that is a 6.4 foot short bed truck and not designed for slide in campers
True-but look at the camper-it “looks” like it was intended for that length with the “hang down” behind. Buddy has a huge Lance he Carry’s on a Ram duelly and it just sits there. This dude was grossly overloaded BEFORE he added the leverage of the motorcycle🙄

Bassbob , for once I have to disagree with you. That camper was designed to sit on a truck like that. If you look closely you see that the door is at the very back of the passenger side. That alleviates some of the weight. This is a 1 ton Duelly truck. Look at the wheels and compare front to back.

There had to be a flaw in the frame for it to buckle the way it did. There are many trucks out there carrying these campers on their back.

this from a camping company....his center of gravity was at least 8 inches back of the rear axle..!!!!!!

1711049358905.png

After surveying the dozen Eagle Cap 1165 rigs present at last month’s rally, it’s apparent that most of the owners had done their homework when it comes to buying the right truck. Most had their camper mounted either on a class 4 (Ford F450, Ram/Chevy 4500) or on a class 5 (Ford F550, Ram/Chevy 5500) truck. The payload ratings of these trucks are approximately 7,850 pounds and 10,700 pounds, respectively. Unfortunately, one particular owner, who had his 1165 mounted on a regular cab Ram 3500 dually with 2WD, and a Cummins 6.7L diesel, told us he was overweight. He thought he would be okay having a GVWR of 14,000 pounds and a payload rating of 6,217 pounds. Fully loaded, his setup weighs 6,820, putting him 600 pounds over his payload rating. Making matters worse, the COG for the camper is a good 8 inches behind the rear axle. Plans to sell his truck and camper are already in the works.

But as one Ford F450 owner discovered, a class 4 truck is no panacea when it comes to hauling a heavy camper. Immediately after the rally, this particular owner took his rig, consisting of a 2013 Ford F450 and a 2015 Eagle Cap 1165, to a local CAT Scale to get weighed. He was horrified to learn that his truck was overweight by whopping 2,400 pounds. With a GVWR of only 14,000 pounds and a payload rating of only 5,443 pounds, his truck was woefully overmatched by the 1165. The CAT Scale printout showed 5,160 pounds on the steer axle and 11,280 pounds on the drive axle for a total of 16,440 pounds. Before buying the truck, he was told his F450 could carry “anything” that he wanted and “not to worry.” Obviously, this wasn’t the case with the 1165. When it comes to payload, this illustrates how far today’s trucks have come from trucks that are 10 to 20 year older. Always research before you buy.

Camper dealers will sell you anything your little heart desires-with Zero concern for how it works out for you. Back in ‘01 wife and I were looking at buying a fifth wheel camper. I spent a LOT of time shopping trucks and knew the ratings of all the big three at the time. I bought a new F350 duellie with the 7.3 Powerstroke ($41k) We were in Atlanta at the camper show looking around. There was one absolutely huge 5’er there-way bigger than we wanted but we went in to look at it. Inside a salesman was talking to a senior couple about the camper . The show sale” price was $79k. The man asked “what will I need to pull it”. The answer “any 3/4 ton pickup will handle it”. I told my wife, that’s a flat outline. This is way too big for that size truck. At the time my new F350, duallie long bed had a tow rating of 14,500 lbs. The 3/4 ton Ford with the diesel was rated like 12,650. The weight of this monster trailer -on the plate on the camper, was 21,000😳. It would have required a commercial series truck to safely pull this hoss, but the salesman didn’t want to tell ‘em they’d need to drop another 80k in a truck! If the buyer doesn’t do due diligence he’s asking for trouble. The guy in this thread found it😏

Seems the camper companies are truly making these slide ins way to big. I have never liked the idea of a slide in camper anyway.

Seems the camper companies are truly making these slide ins way to big. I have never liked the idea of a slide in camper anyway.
my wife and i never wanted a camper...heck we never want to go camping, not even in tents.

she used to say, "i gotta bring the whole house for a few nights outside, in the woods, with the animals, bugs, weather, and NO toilet..???"

we can "camp" here in the backyard.

I have a hard time believing that camper was meant to hang that far off the back of that truck.
Actually it was designed that way.
Under the overhang and behind the stairs is all the valves needed to drain the tanks as well as the battery(s) compartment so you don’t have to remove the camper from the truck to do any maintenance.

Or the guy didn’t buy enough truck for what he was trying to haul. Although it wouldn’t surprise me if they did. It’s a disposable world these days.

My dad don’t drive anymore with his dementia and he has a flawless 2003 GMC Sierra 1500 with 132k miles on it. Mom is wanting to sell it mostly because he gets mad at her every time he looks at it in the garage for not letting him drive. I have no idea what it’s worth but I’m thinking 10k range. I thought about keeping it myself. They don’t make trucks like they used to.
Its a 3500. So I think think it probably has an unboxed frame. In any event, I would peg it as a design flaw.

Back