testtest

Another question 'bout another S&W

rrugercp3o

Operator
I have a S&W made in '57 (blued) and the barrel is pinned. I have heard that you are not to use +P in a pinned barrel. Can anybody shed any light on this?

Sorry, it is a Mdl. 36 on a J frame and made of steel. Sorry for leaving this info. out. Yes, it is a .38 Spl. Thanks in advance for your input.

S&W will tell you no.

But:

Putting a cylinder or two through it to confirm accuracy and function, then just keeping it loaded with them, just in case?

I've done it myself, in my ‘55 vintage Chief's Special...so yes, it is safe.

Of course, check your revolver first to make sure it's in good working order...

More on this in a bit.

So...back in the day, when S&W first introduced the Chief’s Special, Elmer Keith got his hands on one, and decided to test it out.

(If you don’t know who Elmer was, I recommend googling him...but a TL: DR resume' would be he was famous for hotrodding handloads, blew up several guns, and was pretty much the main driving force behind the development of the .44 Magnum.)

Anyway...he decided to test these CS’s with his hotrodded .38/44 Heavy Duty loads—.38/44 being the precursor of the .357 magnum, a super-hot load in a .beefed up .38 Special case (this was pre-+P) that was only supposed to be shot in N-frame .38/44 revolvers.

His “pet load” in .38/44 did 1,150 fps with a 158gr bullet from the 2″ barrel. This is WAY beyond any +P or +P+ load you can get today...and he put 500 rounds through it with no ill effects.

So...those older revolvers are MUCH stronger than anyone likes to give them credit for...I daresay, they are better built than modern examples.

And, more on that revolver function check I mentioned:

So...those older revolvers are MUCH stronger than anyone likes to give them credit for...I daresay, they are better built than modern examples.
I agree with this, the older ones were way stronger and more durable then the newly manufactured ones of today.

So, Hans, can I assume that I can shoot +p rds. in this 64 yr. old snubbie with a pinned barrel? I would only load them for home protection only.

So, Hans, can I assume that I can shoot +p rds. in this 64 yr. old snubbie with a pinned barrel? I would only load them for home protection only.
Yes, you can...but you should fire at least one cylinder (5 rounds) to verify function and accuracy before relying on them for defense.

Back