testtest

Anyone Here Had To Use A Gun In Self Defense?

Status
Not open for further replies.

K.B.

Operator
I'm curious to know about what happens after. Was it a fatal shot? Did they live to sue you for everything you have? Do you feel like you did the right and only thing you could have? Remorse? Indifferent? Here in Utah, I carry open and concealed. I believe I'm practiced and prepared to use my firearm to save mine or someone else's life. Maybe to just de-escalate a bad scenario or maybe more drastic. But in the moment, I've heard it happens so fast.

In self defense, I’ve had to draw, not use. It was a difficult/weird situation. I was in Tarrant, not a nice part of town and not by choice, I had my windows down in my truck, I don’t ever turn the air on unless my wife makes me..anyways I pulled up to the stoplight and heard what sounded like a car door shut, I looked to my right side passenger mirror and didn’t see anything and from the left of my peripheral vision a guy stood up from the front of my truck, a full size truck with 33” tires. He walked to my side saying “hey man, give me 50 cents” he was behind my driver side mirror mind you and it was blocking his mid torso. My pistol rides right beside me and the console and it was already in my hand, and I’m ready. I said “I don’t have 50 cents, I don’t have anything for you”. He said “come on man” as he lifted his shirt and placed his hand in his waist and it was that time I pulled my pistol up and at him and said, in a very stern voice I told you I don’t have anything for you!!!! He dropped his hand and shirt and took off across the street.
I know I mentioned the stop light, I couldn’t cross the street with the oncoming traffic, I will always try to get out of the situation, if possible. I do believe he was trying to get my attention away from him so he could then rob me, take my truck, phone or whatever, I kept my eyes on what I determined to be the threat. That part of town I have to travel due to work not out of enjoyment and it’s not a good part of town.

Similar to @BangBang , I’ve drawn, but fortunately did not need to fire.

I was living in a larger city, and happened to be home during the day when somebody started bump-keying my lock. I retrieved my handgun (my first—USP45), took a deep breath, and opened the door.

The young gentleman outside it was rather...flustered. Muttered that he had the wrong apartment, to which I responded “you got that much right”. Gun was leveled behind thedoor, so he didn’t see it...he took off running, I followed...until it occurred to me that running down the street with a gun in my hand would have been a Very Bad Idea...never exited my apartment building.

Went back, safed the pistol, called the cops. Never mentioned to them that I was armed...

I would NOT do the same thing today. I would have been armed, I would have called the cops first, but I would NOT open the door.

Self defense from a wild animal, not a person.

scouting for duck hunting in fall before season and stepped down into a dry lake cove.
hogs were wallowing around in the damp dirt and knee high grass.
surprised them and they surprised me. !!😳😳
2 charged me from 40 yards. Drew my .45 and emptied all 7 into the first one and scrambled into a tree behind me as # 2 charged away
Had only 1 mag. Learned that lesson hard way.
#2 Hog trotted around the tree for several min than ran off to his pals.
Scared the holy crap out of me.

learned a few lessons that day

The only thing I ever had to kill was a raccoon; it jumped out of a garbage can after my cat slipped out the back door while I was taking out the garbage. No critter was allowed to mess with my furries.

Line of duty, I only once had to draw my pistol on someone, and that was because he was advancing at me with a baseball bat cocked over his shoulder. He saw I had him dead-to-rights at about 25 feet and laid down on the ground. Afterward I was a bit shaky as the adrenaline needed time to drain off. Other than the physical after-effect, it didn't bother me. If you've ever heard of Gary Indiana you know what a :poop:-hole that place is, I'm retired and living waaaay out in the country so chances are good I'll never have to draw on someone again.

I was living in a larger city, and happened to be home during the day when somebody started bump-keying my lock. I retrieved my handgun (my first—USP45), took a deep breath, and opened the door.

The young gentleman outside it was rather...flustered. Muttered that he had the wrong apartment, to which I responded “you got that much right”. Gun was leveled behind thedoor, so he didn’t see it...he took off running, I followed...until it occurred to me that running down the street with a gun in my hand would have been a Very Bad Idea...never exited my apartment building.

Went back, safed the pistol, called the cops. Never mentioned to them that I was armed...

I would NOT do the same thing today. I would have been armed, I would have called the cops first, but I would NOT open the door.
In self defense, I’ve had to draw, not use. It was a difficult/weird situation. I was in Tarrant, not a nice part of town and not by choice, I had my windows down in my truck, I don’t ever turn the air on unless my wife makes me..anyways I pulled up to the stoplight and heard what sounded like a car door shut, I looked to my right side passenger mirror and didn’t see anything and from the left of my peripheral vision a guy stood up from the front of my truck, a full size truck with 33” tires. He walked to my side saying “hey man, give me 50 cents” he was behind my driver side mirror mind you and it was blocking his mid torso. My pistol rides right beside me and the console and it was already in my hand, and I’m ready. I said “I don’t have 50 cents, I don’t have anything for you”. He said “come on man” as he lifted his shirt and placed his hand in his waist and it was that time I pulled my pistol up and at him and said, in a very stern voice I told you I don’t have anything for you!!!! He dropped his hand and shirt and took off across the street.
I know I mentioned the stop light, I couldn’t cross the street with the oncoming traffic, I will always try to get out of the situation, if possible. I do believe he was trying to get my attention away from him so he could then rob me, take my truck, phone or whatever, I kept my eyes on what I determined to be the threat. That part of town I have to travel due to work not out of enjoyment and it’s not a good part of town.
Yeah, there was more than 50 cents he was after. I walked to the gas station to buy a 12 pack of suds on memorial day about 7 years ago. On my way back, this yellow Mustang screeches into the parking lot next to where I am. I turned and kept walking, heard a car door open and then shouting in my direction Hey! Lemme holla at chu! Hey! I mumbled something about not wanting to be holla'd at, ignored him until the little thug was in front of me. He says," you're gonna give me that beer." I said, "since you asked so politely, I'll give you this." Raised middle finger to his nose. He says, "Oh, we gonna punish you. Get ready!" I had had it. I turned, lifting my shirt tail to show him the .38 special on my belt. He ran back to the mustang. I looked for cover. There was a light pole. That was it. But, it must have done the trick cuz homeboy and his buddies took off as soon as he got to the car. I also had an interesting confrontation in the same area with a fresh from prison, MS13 gang member that happened to find my boot knife I had just lost. Kids! Stay home and try reading a book! My beer is non-negotiable!

I've had a couple similar. Except one I was packing and the other, well, I made him believe I was. I didn't even have a set of car keys to poke an eye with!

Reading your post taught me something valuable. Thanks!

Self defense from a wild animal, not a person.

scouting for duck hunting in fall before season and stepped down into a dry lake cove.
hogs were wallowing around in the damp dirt and knee high grass.
surprised them and they surprised me. !!😳😳
2 charged me from 40 yards. Drew my .45 and emptied all 7 into the first one and scrambled into a tree behind me as # 2 charged away
Had only 1 mag. Learned that lesson hard way.
#2 Hog trotted around the tree for several min than ran off to his pals.
Scared the holy crap out of me.

learned a few lessons that day
Man or animal, you were under threat and have a story to tell people like me who want to learn how people react in these situations. Thanks!

Yeah, there was more than 50 cents he was after. I walked to the gas station to buy a 12 pack of suds on memorial day about 7 years ago. On my way back, this yellow Mustang screeches into the parking lot next to where I am. I turned and kept walking, heard a car door open and then shouting in my direction Hey! Lemme holla at chu! Hey! I mumbled something about not wanting to be holla'd at, ignored him until the little thug was in front of me. He says," you're gonna give me that beer." I said, "since you asked so politely, I'll give you this." Raised middle finger to his nose. He says, "Oh, we gonna punish you. Get ready!" I had had it. I turned, lifting my shirt tail to show him the .38 special on my belt. He ran back to the mustang. I looked for cover. There was a light pole. That was it. But, it must have done the trick cuz homeboy and his buddies took off as soon as he got to the car. I also had an interesting confrontation in the same area with a fresh from prison, MS13 gang member that happened to find my boot knife I had just lost. Kids! Stay home and try reading a book! My beer is non-negotiable!

Not me. He could’ve had the beer. Not worth the repercussions if it goes sideways, not in the slightest.

And I definitely wouldn’t have flipped him the bird—that’s called an escalation, and no longer makes you a “reluctant participant”, and removes lawful use of force protection*.

*may vary by state.

Last edited:
Thugs are thugs
You’re not getting my beer or my car, or my money.
If I let him get my beer, then they pick on folks cause they know they can.
Maybe grandma, or the single mom tomorrow, my daughter, or dad leaving the store.
Someone tries to pull “felony” **** with me, and its not going to be a good day for him.
My mentality is I will be the one who speaks for those who cannot.
MF’er is going to have met the wrong damn person that day.

Willie and I will sing “Beer for my Horses” !!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back