testtest

April 1st, and $20 per hr minimum wage

i think a good and fair minimum wage should be what my kids got when they had part time jobs, going thru tech schools, or colleges, and that is...

$3.25 per hour.....

just enough to go out on dates, buy books, put gas in mom's car, or buy pizza, as me and the wife, "footed the bills" for everything else.

minimum wage jobs (to me) are nothing more than a stepping stone, in a young persons life, to earn a diploma, and MOVE ON to what they studied for...OR...a part time job for those who are maybe retired, or those who have a full time job, and want some extra cash....NOT to make a full blown career out of.....
Jesus, just how old are you ? I'm 55 and minimum wage when I got my first job was $3.35/hr.

Minimum wage should be automatically adjusted for inflation. Right now I would say federally it should be about $14/hr and depending on the state it should be higher. In Kalifornia you can't even afford to live in your mom's basement for free on $14/hr.

i think a good and fair minimum wage should be what my kids got when they had part time jobs, going thru tech schools, or colleges, and that is...

$3.25 per hour.....

just enough to go out on dates, buy books, put gas in mom's car, or buy pizza, as me and the wife, "footed the bills" for everything else.

minimum wage jobs (to me) are nothing more than a stepping stone, in a young persons life, to earn a diploma, and MOVE ON to what they studied for...OR...a part time job for those who are maybe retired, or those who have a full time job, and want some extra cash....NOT to make a full blown career out of.....
I'd say it should be adjusted for inflation, at least. Life is more expensive. For a high-school kid working part time, maybe. But "moving on to the next stage of life" wasn't the reason for minimum wage. It was to create a minimum standard of living. No one in a first-world country should have to work two jobs to live. If working the till at the local gas station is what a person can get, they should be able to live on it.

Hi,

I'd say it should be adjusted for inflation, at least. Life is more expensive.

OK, I'll give you that.

For a high-school kid working part time, maybe. But "moving on to the next stage of life" wasn't the reason for minimum wage. It was to create a minimum standard of living.

I disagree. A minimum wage job is for entry level unskilled positions. My first minimum wage job in 1974 was $1.65 an hour, working a snack bar at a drive-in theater. I was glad to have it. I could put gas in my little motorcycle, buy my girl a malt, and save for my next bass guitar.

No one in a first-world country should have to work two jobs to live. If working the till at the local gas station is what a person can get, they should be able to live on it.

I have always worked at least two jobs ever since I started working. When I wasn't working at the snack bar I was mowing lawns or delivering newspapers. In college I got a little better job washing dishes for $2.75 an hour and started playing gigs on the weekends. When I finished school (yes I found time to go to school between two jobs) I had my tech job, plus gigs on the weekend, plus tech clients on the side. I wanted a certain standard of living and I've always been willing to work for it.

I would never expect flipping a burger would raise three kids and pay for a mortgage. $20 an hour is insane. My $1.65 an hour job, counting for inflation, would pay $10.39 today.

Employers should not be forced to pay artificially high wages for menial work. It will put them out of business. Unskilled entry level positions should be a place to get experience and bide your time working toward something better, through education, apprenticeship, trade school, etc.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

I'd say it should be adjusted for inflation, at least. Life is more expensive. For a high-school kid working part time, maybe. But "moving on to the next stage of life" wasn't the reason for minimum wage. It was to create a minimum standard of living. No one in a first-world country should have to work two jobs to live. If working the till at the local gas station is what a person can get, they should be able to live on it.
Yes, life in general is more expensive and the min wage should be adjusted for inflation. But that's not the whole problem. Maybe they should not necessarily have to have the very latest issue of I-phone with a $300/mo contract ... or heaven forbid they give up their 2nd cell phone. They probably could get by without that 70" wide screen, top of the line TV and even Alexa. And maybe they shouldn't stand in line around the block each and every year to be first in line to get the newest edition I-phone this year with another big contract. Who in the world should be required to use the same phone for two years (sarcasm)? The shame of it! Or maybe they could pass on the $600 'famous name' sneakers and $120 designer jeans. And no doubt they could do without the big gold chain around their necks.

Look, I'm not intending to beat up on every kid today, just those very vocal ones who claim they can't live on a minimum wage job but live so high on the hog they don't know where ground is. Just set for an hour at any local mall and watch the kids walk by. Many will have a phone in hand, and at least one in their back pocket. Kids in general today, and even many adults can't see the forest for the trees. That minimum wage job is not the real problem, their standard of living is. Not all kids, but primarily the vocal ones who cry.

And just to add to the discussion, I'll help anyone, young or old with anything I have as long as they're helping themselves. But I just can't condone those (especially the so called "Influencers") who cry about having to work 10-20 hrs/wk therefore just don't have time to relax, and/or socialize. Take me up on my challenge to set at the mall and actually watch, or you'll be arguing without facts. My first minimum wage job was in 1960 IIRC, and it paid $0.75/hr. The actual minimum at the time was $1.25, but my job was somehow exempted due to being involved in agriculture and/or restaurant service. Jus' sayin'. OK, rant over!

Among all the very valid points made by Basscliff back in post #25, he said this: "I wanted a certain standard of living and I've always been willing to work for it."

So very well put and to the point. I couldn't agree anymore with what he said. I too would do what I had to do to get what I wanted, or the standard of living I wanted. More than once I worked at 2 PT mobs while in school, and at one point even after I married I was going to night school for a little college, and working two jobs, one FT, one PT.

Now my wife and I are retired with a healthy income from our retirement funds and investments, two late model vehicles paid for, can vacation when/where we want, and live a good life. And never once during my entire working career (let's say about 65 years) did I ever feel like anyone owed me more money than I agreed to when I took the job. And I always considered my very first 'real' in the world job as 'entry level'. Not that is was designed to live on.

Part of the problem is that society has been conditioned to pick up the slack for slackers ( for lack of a more appropriate term). Guess what I did when I couldn't afford my rock and roll lifestyle by gigging at night and managing a Jiffy Lube by day ? I bugged every foreman on every construction site for a week until one of them gave me a job. Then I got another job sorting packages 4 hours a night at UPS from 10 PM to 2 AM. After working until 2 AM, I'd have a few beers, get some food and then go to my day job. When I got off at 3 PM I'd go home and sleep for 5 hours or so and then go back to work. I guarantee you I could have gotten some help from my folks if I wanted, but I didn't.

That's what men do when they can't afford their life. They get a better job or get two jobs. I disagree that minimum wage is supposed to be a "Living wage". That's like saying social security is supposed to be a retirement plan.

Part of the problem is that society has been conditioned to pick up the slack for slackers ( for lack of a more appropriate term). Guess what I did when I couldn't afford my rock and roll lifestyle by gigging at night and managing a Jiffy Lube by day ? I bugged every foreman on every construction site for a week until one of them gave me a job. Then I got another job sorting packages 4 hours a night at UPS from 10 PM to 2 AM. After working until 2 AM, I'd have a few beers, get some food and then go to my day job. When I got off at 3 PM I'd go home and sleep for 5 hours or so and then go back to work. I guarantee you I could have gotten some help from my folks if I wanted, but I didn't.

That's what men do when they can't afford their life. They get a better job or get two jobs. I disagree that minimum wage is supposed to be a "Living wage". That's like saying social security is supposed to be a retirement plan.
I knew you and I were on the same wavelength for the most part. Same ages, similar experiences, similar beliefs in what makes a man a 'man'

yes I KNOW the reason why "minimum wage laws" was made...

on "average" most minimum wage jobs are part time hours, like less than 25 per week, or factory jobs.......

not mechanics, plumbers, computer programmers, or President of the USA.

low, menial jobs that are needed to be done and get done, not highly technical or advanced degree type jobs.

it was never meant to make it into a full time career path to live on, that's why i call it a "stepping stone", especially for HS kids, and college kids to LEARN responsibility in showing up for work, and performing the job duties.

Back