testtest

AR-15s put in all Madison County schools to enhance security

I am happy to see a pro active approach working with the schools. However, I have never understood the need to explain the strategy to everyone.
Although I completely agree with you schools and police departments are public institutions so complete transparency is required.

Specific tactical techniques and procedures should not be disclosed to the public. It is good enough to tell the public that appropriate weapons for LE use are secured in the schools. The breaching tool thing doesn't make sense to me.

Good start. May also be beneficial to have some faculty/staff who are willing to be trained up on ccw and use of that ar.
👆👆 This 👆👆

But…. I have to add….
Article makes reference to Uvalde et al. but my impression was that Uvaldes Finest simply weren’t going in, ARs or otherwise. They had firepower. What they lacked was leadership & direction. Can’t pull that out of the school safe.
Heck, inside a building, not withstanding some long halls, I’d about rather carry a high capacity, good brand of service handgun than a rifle… I dunno…..???

I think this quote from Sheriff Buddy Harwood, "Hopefully we'll never need it, but I want my guys to be as prepared as prepared can be" best sums it up. Remember, prevention does not require prediction. That's why all of us have a fire extinguisher or two stashed around the house. I bet every one of us has at least one working smoke detector in our house to alert us to a problem when the alarm sounds. Like smoke detectors, more and more schools are installing camera systems that cover outside doors and hallways. But in many instances these systems are not constantly monitored. They are basicly used for the instant replay to view an event after the fact. In my mind the video camera needs to be the first line of defense and to achieve that requires constant attention. Schools today do a lot of drills. They do drills for a school-wide lock-down and monthly fire drills. These drills leave a lot to be desired. If you have kids in school ask them when was the last time they had a fire drill during lunch, during class changes, or in the morning a moment or two before the bell rings to start the day? I'd be interested in what you find out.

👆👆 This 👆👆

But…. I have to add….
Article makes reference to Uvalde et al. but my impression was that Uvaldes Finest simply weren’t going in, ARs or otherwise. They had firepower. What they lacked was leadership & direction. Can’t pull that out of the school safe.
Heck, inside a building, not withstanding some long halls, I’d about rather carry a high capacity, good brand of service handgun than a rifle… I dunno…..???
I agree that just because the hardware is available doesn’t mean those trained to use it will actually do so. I’d like to think that the lack of leadership at Uvalde was an outlier and that 99.9999% of police departments would act in a manner consistent with “protect and serve” rather than “wait and see”.
I still think it’s a good start.

I agree that just because the hardware is available doesn’t mean those trained to use it will actually do so. I’d like to think that the lack of leadership at Uvalde was an outlier and that 99.9999% of police departments would act in a manner consistent with “protect and serve” rather than “wait and see”.
I still think it’s a good start.
Totally agree with the good start part, Mike… no argument from me, there…along with it will have to go a “heapin’ helping” of good training, both mental and skill-set.

I’ll add: If that bunch had had breaching equipment and ARs, they just just might’ve felt compelled to do more than they did. The consequences might’ve been better, but I can also imagine a bigger disaster given their apparent mentality.
I dunno; it’s complicated 😕

Their very choice of weapon should be a resounding argument against the AWB trying to plow it's way through Congress. If it's a good choice to protect our kids, everyone should be able to have one to protect their home and family.

There’s should never be any published LE response plans, but media and politician driven demands for “transparency” what to placate and appease to frighten matters.

A deranged nut no matter what event location they chose, will not be totally deterred from acting out their mission by any method or means. A sign in the door or a bi-partisan law has no meaning to the lawless.

Airports had a similar idea as Madison County. Keeping firearms in some locations overnight only invite nefarious intent. The LGS’s are often targets in the hours darkness. Response to alarms and phone calls are often lengthy.

Having enough LE, outfitting and training is paramount. LE is often hog-tied and vilified by public opinion, again driven by the rhetoric of the media, gun-grabber quarterbacks and inept politicians. When it come to terms of protecting the school kids, a tremendous amount of what ifs come from overreaction and collateral and consequential injuries that cannot be measured.

Uvalde opened the debate again of how much of what does it take to make schools safe, and they did fault the school as well. The issue mostly became the gun used and the police response, not the individual or Why didn’t the school just keep the outside door locked.

That said, it would be of no surprise that opponents of Madison Co. both public and elected, will think this is the plan :
403B2A0A-4AA7-4B03-ADDC-43A8BC489D36.jpeg

Now every dirt bag in town will know where they can get a few rifles!

Thats exactly will be the problem when personal CCL information gets disseminated, whether intentional, “accidentally” as in Calif recently, or eventually by bully politics law. Dirt bags know all too well where to go and snoop. “Every lock that ain’t locked when no one’s around” - Roger Miller, King of the Road.

As in the old days, crooks perused the obituaries knowing when the residents will likely be out of the house. Its happened where derelicts would often break in to schools off-hours just to loot the vending machines or pilfer a church collection box.

Thinking about the logic of storing an firearm(s) in a safe, in a school (overnight) is bizarre to me. Even the sheriff claims that “he doesn’t want his deputy to run back to the car to get his”. This is a far cry from his earlier statement as his officers are prepared. There is a standard protocol tjat was developed by the FBI on active shooters, this method he advocated is contradictory. Sure it would be great to have additional firepower on site, provided it can be accessed in a hurry-hurry desperate situation, but only if LE is not already on scene and trained personnel can react, taking a chance to not be mistaken for the active shooter when LE arrives.

Realizing LE entering a school, church or airport with long gun at low ready is a bit much for everyday antics, but every situation potentially can escalate beyond the original call for assistance or instance of trouble.

Breach tools or powerful magnetic doors, did they fully think this out? Certainly the thought of a rifle in a school might make some feel safer, others will balk. Even a carpenter doesn’t leave his Milwaukee tools overnight, that should be enough reason to nix the idea, if that’s what Madison Co has in mind.

Back