testtest

AR bolt hold open malfunction

Blackmesa96

Master Class
Have an AR platform rifle. When I fire the last round, the bolt doesn't stay open.

Happens with every mag. The hold open catch will engage manually and work correctly. Cleaned, lubed and inspected, nothing pops out at me.

Anyone here wish to offer me guidance on what to check next?
Thanks to all in advance.

Bought used. Just started running it.

Weapon is clean, honestly don't know if gas block is adjustable or not.

Relatively new to this platform and am learning more as I go.
The most likely causes are the gun is undergassed, the bolt catch is F'ed up or bad magazines. With P Mags that is extremely unlikely. Could be the BCG or the buffer weight too. First steps:

Clean and lube weapon.
Stick an empty mag in and manually cycle the action/BCG via the charging handle. Does the bolt stay open ?

Shoot the weapon and see where your brass is going ( i.e. 1:00- 3:00- 5:00)

So, do you have a home built weapon or name brand mfr? How long is the barrel? Can you attach a picture of the gas block? If you open the action and place an empty mag in, does it raise the bolt catch? Does the catch pivot smoothly or does it drag? Is there a chance that it's bent or even tweaked a little? Post up some pics.

The good news is that whatever the issue is it's a relatively easy fix and replacement parts aren't that expensive.

What kind of gun is it ? Lower receiver ? Upper receiver? Both are likely marked. 5.56, .308 ?

You don't seem to be too forthcoming with the info brother. It's easier to help you if we have all the info and can start ruling stuff out. I'd start by cleaning and lubing, especially the BCG and insert an empty P mag in and charge the weapon and see if the bolt holds open.

Bought used. Just started running it.

Weapon is clean, honestly don't know if gas block is adjustable or not.

Relatively new to this platform and am learning more as I go.

Factory, or home build?

I’m wondering if you don’t have an out of spec bolt catch.

Or it could be under gassed.

Or, it’s the ammo you at using.

Or—and this is a real thing—your rifle doesn’t like PMags.

Or it’s just a full-on case of tolerance stacking.

Or—and this is a real thing—your rifle doesn’t like PMags.
It happens but not very often. On the other hand I have had a bunch of Amend2 mags and all of them either won't hold the bolt open or won't drop free from the magwell on their own.

So to add to my suggestions, which are about all I can think of with limited information, I would also by a new P mag and a USGI with the orange follower and see what that does.

It happens but not very often. On the other hand I have had a bunch of Amend2 mags and all of them either won't hold the bolt open or won't drop free from the magwell on their own.

So to add to my suggestions, which are about all I can think of with limited information, I would also by a new P mag and a USGI with the orange follower and see what that does.
The only mag I’ve ever met that has never failed in any rifle are HK High Reliability mags.

They rock, but at $40+ a mag…

I got turned on to them by a trainer who also had experience with HK’s ITD…I remember buying a couple for $70 during the first Obama scare.

I had issues when I tried some of the new "fangled" recoil springs. So I standardized on standard-weight springs (Brownells) but made of chrome-silicon for greater life-span. Problem solved.

Never had an issue with buffer weights & I use the various Spikes Tactical weights ("H's") to smooth out the recoil pulse.

Last edited:
The only mag I’ve ever met that has never failed in any rifle are HK High Reliability mags.

They rock, but at $40+ a mag…

I got turned on to them by a trainer who also had experience with HK’s ITD…I remember buying a couple for $70 during the first Obama scare.
I'd love to have a pile of those, but in reality every single AR I own, including my latest, loves P mags and I have never ever had an issue of any kind with any of those weapons. So I can't really justify changing course. Not to mention the fact that I now have a ridiculous amount of Pmags still in the plastic besides the ten or so I have in rotation.

Back