testtest

AR builds -- best places to get parts?

No, you misunderstand completely - the statement of "mission drives the train" doesn't have anything to do with institutional inertia or closed-mindedness. ;)

It simply means that the purpose of the project should dictate how it is attacked.

As a concrete example, someone looking to by a small, economical commuter vehicle most likely wouldn't cross-shop a large luxury SUV - and again the same for someone looking to blow a few hundred grand on a track-toy.

Mission drives the train simply means that we should look at the final goal, first, and work up ways to get to that goal.

Translated to what justahop is looking for, this means that he should first clarify what he wants out of the gun - and then look to fulfill those requirements.

And towards this end:

You're good-to-go in today's market with that kind of budget.

I'd go all-out, given the home-defense part of your equation. Don't do sub-par parts.

I'd shop at G&R Tactical, Big Tex Outdoors, Rainier Arms, SKD Tactical, Primary Arms, Operational Detachment Source (ODS), and Weapon Outfitters - all of these retailers stock components from vendors which are considered to be duty/defensive-grade .

Sionics Weapons Systems, Sons of Liberty Gun Works (SOLGW), and Bravo Company (BCM) all maintain their own websites, so their parts can also be procured directly.

And sometimes, when the smallest parts aren't available via the smaller vendors, I'd go to Midway USA and Brownells. Both offer excellent search engines that can help you pin down even the smallest component. This was actually how I built my small stash of spare components such as extractors, springs, etc.

You honestly should be able to put together a premium defensive weapon for that price, using nothing but the best, if you don't go crazy on Gucci stuff or really specialized items (i.e. a Hodge Wedge Lock rail so that you can mount your MAWL ;) ).

It took me 4 days to work though - but it's listenable as there are no visuals, so if you have a long commute, that would be the way to go (it'll be like sitting in on a conference call). :)
Thanks for the information...

My last build had parts come from ~12 different brands/sources in order to build what I wanted it to be. 6.5 lbs w/optic w/o exotic parts.

After 35 yrs of using the AR platform I don't rely on one brand to build the right AR to meet all my needs so I build.

And I can build an AR (99% of the time better) for a cheaper price than store-bought ones.

Last edited:
I have been inspired by "lets see your AR setup" thread and I am going to pull the trigger (pun intended) and do my first AR build. I have already ordered the stripped Anderson Manufacturing lower and now I would like to hear from those of you that are in the know... Where do you get your good quality AR parts for the most reasonable prices? Also please share your knowledge with me of your list of do's and don't do's for a first timer...

Thank you for all of your wisdom.....
Classic Firearms has got a heck of a sale going on now

My last two barrels I got for free from Bear Creek Armory. I have been wanting to do an 80% but then I look at the cost for the jigs and I kind of get turned off by it, plus the fact that I am now in an apartment.

Well I completed my first DIY AR15 and I want to thank all that provided input. Once I received my 2nd Amendment Lego kit this is what I created with it. I can now see the addiction that is rifle building. The optic in the image was just borrowed from my FX-9 but I intend on getting a better optic for this rifle at a later time.

Attachments

• 20200208_114415.jpg
    20200208_114415.jpg
    559 KB · Views: 190
  • 20200212_162336.jpg
    20200212_162336.jpg
    499.9 KB · Views: 190
  • 20200212_161936 - Copy.jpg
    20200212_161936 - Copy.jpg
    597 KB · Views: 197
Back