testtest

AR builds -- best places to get parts?

justahop

Alpha
Founding Member
I have been inspired by "lets see your AR setup" thread and I am going to pull the trigger (pun intended) and do my first AR build. I have already ordered the stripped Anderson Manufacturing lower and now I would like to hear from those of you that are in the know... Where do you get your good quality AR parts for the most reasonable prices? Also please share your knowledge with me of your list of do's and don't do's for a first timer...

Thank you for all of your wisdom.....

I have been inspired by "lets see your AR setup" thread and I am going to pull the trigger (pun intended) and do my first AR build. I have already ordered the stripped Anderson Manufacturing lower and now I would like to hear from those of you that are in the know... Where do you get your good quality AR parts for the most reasonable prices? Also please share your knowledge with me of your list of do's and don't do's for a first timer...

Great prices & fast shipping.

I would be glad too help you for what's needed as in tools required too build and other questions you might have. I'm not for sure how many other members build any ARs, but there could be a collective knowledge in this forum!

Price isn't the only thing too consider. What kind of setup, price and use are you wanting? I have built 50 ARs so I have some depth on the subject.
Thanks... I am very clear that price is not the only thing which is why am asked about quality parts with fair prices. Just don't want to over pay.. As far as being the first one I am looking at a basic .556. I don't want to mess with or wait on tax stamps so it will be standard 16" .

I have seen you and others talk about the 300 blackout as well and would like to hear more about that round compared to .556 build. I shoot my other .556 rifles (one work and one play) but decided I wanted to build a rifle now and see what that is all about.

Thanks for your experiences and expertise..

Thanks... I am very clear that price is not the only thing which is why am asked about quality parts with fair prices. Just don't want to over pay.. As far as being the first one I am looking at a basic .556. I don't want to mess with or wait on tax stamps so it will be standard 16" .

I have seen you and others talk about the 300 blackout as well and would like to hear more about that round compared to .556 build. I shoot my other .556 rifles (one work and one play) but decided I wanted to build a rifle now and see what that is all about.

Thanks for your experiences and expertise..
The 300 is good for at most 300 yards on a good day, but 556 has more effective reach. I would go with the 223 Wylde chamber. It's an improvement on the 556 and it will accept and safe too use 556nato ammo. I have 3 chambered in the Wylde and wish all of my 556s were!

Are you looking for a particular bullet weight for each of them, because that you need too know before barrel selection. The twist rate depends on bullet selections. The heavier the fast twist is needed. Are you using factory or load your own ammo? Choices! Choices!

Finally!!!
20200128_151524.jpg
20200128_151518.jpg
20200128_151532.jpg

Primary Arms has the best selection and very competitive pricing. If you are a veteran you can get additional discounts by some manufacturers. Brownells is a good place as well and usually has free shipping on orders over $50.

Primary Arms has the best selection and very competitive pricing. If you are a veteran you can get additional discounts by some manufacturers. Brownells is a good place as well and usually has free shipping on orders over $50.
I've got good products and prices from there also.

You might try https://www.ar15part.com/default.asp. I can't speak whether their prices are lower than elsewhere, but it was one of the places that I found a 18" 6.8 SPC II Upper at a reasonable price. I haven't built any AR's to date, but this place seems to have parts and their customer service was pretty good (fast shipping, follow up on how everything went, etc). Good Luck with your build.

Palmetto State Armory has some really good deals and complete build kits for AR15 & AR10 that won't break the bank.

I buy a lot from Optics Planet also they have a decent selection of mid to upper level AR 15 parts at reasonable prices and they offer free shipping often.

Price isn't the only thing too consider. What kind of setup, price and use are you wanting?

^ This, +eleventybillion.

Mission drives the train, @justahop .

There's a difference if you're putting together a gun for defensive/duty, or serious competitive use - versus just hobby "fun day at the range" kind of stuff. Similarly, a serious training beater will lead a very different life from a safe queen. Each of these "missions" will skew your gear selection, even with budget in-mind.

Parts are not just parts, and this is the absolute truth with everything from the barrel and bolt-carrier group (BCG) all the way to the smallest springs, detents, and pins, and even to the "chassis," the upper and lower receivers.

If anyone ever tells you that parts are just parts, refer to this video:

^ I explain what this video has to do with your question, in my reply to adam sr in this post - https://www.thearmorylife.com/forum/threads/lets-see-your-ar-setups.258/page-5#post-4715 in that "AR setups" thread.

It's not about where you shop from, necessarily, but what you get. ;)

So before we go down the path, let's decide why you want the gun: what do you want it to do, for you.

And then let's set a budget, so we don't get too carried away and stay within the realm of the real. :)

^ This, +eleventybillion.

Mission drives the train, @justahop .

There's a difference if you're putting together a gun for defensive/duty, or serious competitive use - versus just hobby "fun day at the range" kind of stuff. Similarly, a serious training beater will lead a very different life from a safe queen. Each of these "missions" will skew your gear selection, even with budget in-mind.

Parts are not just parts, and this is the absolute truth with everything from the barrel and bolt-carrier group (BCG) all the way to the smallest springs, detents, and pins, and even to the "chassis," the upper and lower receivers.

If anyone ever tells you that parts are just parts, refer to this video:

^ I explain what this video has to do with your question, in my reply to adam sr in this post - https://www.thearmorylife.com/forum/threads/lets-see-your-ar-setups.258/page-5#post-4715 in that "AR setups" thread.

It's not about where you shop from, necessarily, but what you get. ;)

So before we go down the path, let's decide why you want the gun: what do you want it to do, for you.

And then let's set a budget, so we don't get too carried away and stay within the realm of the real. :)
Don't like trains, because you get stuck on the same tracks. No progress can be made when your nose is stuck on the butt in front of you. Now you have a 1 track mind!

The 300 is good for at most 300 yards on a good day, but 556 has more effective reach. I would go with the 223 Wylde chamber. It's an improvement on the 556 and it will accept and safe too use 556nato ammo. I have 3 chambered in the Wylde and wish all of my 556s were!
I beg to differ...

300Blk is capable of much more than 300yd. You just need to run the right combo of projo & platform.

I have a 8.5" barrel with the heavier bullets. If I go lighter and longer barrel then yes longer is very possible! I don't need a video for that.
You may not, but if someone takes your comment at face value it sounds very different. OP may not be as well versed. A little clarification doesnt hurt. ;)

Back