testtest

AR "lack of accuracy" and CMP style shooting?

JonJon

Operator
So I have frequently been told things like "ARs arent accurate" and "thats a battle weapon, not a precision rifle" etc. Ok, I understand thats its all relative etc. A lightweight 16" gun with loose tolerances wont be as accurate as a heavy precision rifle. yeah I get that

But....

then I watch CMP/NRA style shooting with ARs and guys are routinely hitting the X ring at 200 yards while firing standing offhand.

So what gives? most of these guns appear to be fairly stock.

Soooo.....if they are shooting like that while standing offhand....what would they be doing, say, prone with a bipod or bags??

how does this square with the statement that "ARs aren't accurate"??

I'm not even going to try to fit your square statement into a round bullseye.

If built with quality components and with the proper knowledge of fitment, an AR can be exceedingly accurate, and allow skilled shooters to hit their targets from any position... I have seen it and I have done it.

I'm not even going to try to fit your square statement into a round bullseye.

If built with quality components and with the proper knowledge of fitment, an AR can be exceedingly accurate, and allow skilled shooters to hit their targets from any position... I have seen it and I have done it.
not "my" statement lol. this is what ive been told

Accuracy is all relative. Is an M16/M4/AR15 a sniper rifle for making 1000 yard shots? No. Can it be very accurate at 200-300 yards or less? Yes. Is it as accurate as a high end bolt action rifle? No.

The way I look at it, is how accurate do you NEED it to be, and how often are you shooting more than 100 yards, even when hunting?

well the question was asked sort of backwards.

I just started shooting in July and was going out with a bipod on my AR, factory ammo of course, and struggling to get anywhere near 1MOA. So of course I was told "well the AR isnt a precision rifle anyway" etc etc.

it was almost suggested that it was silly to try to get 1MOA. (and perhaps it was with factory 55g etc)

and yeah I get that its all relative. But then I see guys doing quite well OFFHAND lol. yes I understand those r custom built rifles with handloads but still lol

well the question was asked sort of backwards.

I just started shooting in July and was going out with a bipod on my AR, factory ammo of course, and struggling to get anywhere near 1MOA. So of course I was told "well the AR isnt a precision rifle anyway" etc etc.

it was almost suggested that it was silly to try to get 1MOA. (and perhaps it was with factory 55g etc)

and yeah I get that its all relative. But then I see guys doing quite well OFFHAND lol. yes I understand those r custom built rifles with handloads but still lol
Try ammo that has "Match" on the box? Factory 55fmj is probably the worst to try moa or less. 1 shot group will be your best accuracy(just joking). Do you have a nato or a wylde chamber?

A tool is as good as the operator.
In regards to rifles.

was your stance, grip, breathing correct?
Wind and environment conditions?
Was your familiarity with gun, ammo, ballistics, and scope on par?

all these are questions and topics that must be addressed whether its an expert sniper or a novice week end shooter.
any one of these topics can turn an accurate rifle into a non accurate shot

I think there are just too many variables that affect a particular AR's accuracy. But when those variables are right, 1moa or better accuracy is totally possible. First time I've ever shot a sub moa group was with my 20" 224 valkyrie build, and it was shooting the cheapest ammo available in that caliber (75gr AE).

As far as actual "battle rifles" go, the AR is definitely one of the more accurate platforms. I struggled to shoot 6moa with AKs. I couldn't manage better than 4moa with my friend's FAL. The mosins I've shot were off by feet at 100 yards.

A CMP Match rifle, while it *looks* GI, ain't.

The barrel is free-floated inside the sleeved A2 handguard, for starters...and that barrel is a match grade HBAR.

The trigger does have to be over a certain weight, and it's not hair light, either—3 or 4 pounds comes mind—but they are usually super clean.

That being said...AR's have been ruling the CMP matches for quite some time, cleaning M1 and M1A’s clocks.

But, no, they aren’t lightweight, pencil barrel builds, either.

A CMP Match rifle, while it *looks* GI, ain't.

The barrel is free-floated inside the sleeved A2 handguard, for starters...and that barrel is a match grade HBAR.

The trigger does have to be over a certain weight, and it's not hair light, either—3 or 4 pounds comes mind—but they are usually super clean.

That being said...AR's have been ruling the CMP matches for quite some time, cleaning M1 and M1A’s clocks.

But, no, they aren’t lightweight, pencil barrel builds, either.

Correct.

M1As and M1Gs have basically been sent to their indivdual "Vintage" categories since the CMP-spec ARs have ruled the Service Rifle matches since the 90's.

One can still shoot against CMP-spec ARs but you won't win in the high-end matches.

Try ammo that has "Match" on the box? Factory 55fmj is probably the worst to try moa or less. 1 shot group will be your best accuracy(just joking). Do you have a nato or a wylde chamber?
I dont remember my exact thought process back in late summer 2020, before ammo got stupid unavailable and expensive...but I probably sort of dismissed "match" ammo as being too expensive to be practical and it still wouldnt have been any guarantee. Any video comparison of match grade ammo shows that a particular gun may or may not "like" this or that ammo etc.

I am starting to revisit the subject as I am trying to be hopeful that handloading possibilities may open up again at some future point.

my 223/556 AR is plain jane nato chamber, not wylde.

I also have a 308 AR10 and would like to get something like a Ruger American Hunter or American Tactical in 308.

I dont see any real possibilities to work on much precision type shooting until I am able to do handloading. If anything, it looks like 308 reloading may open up some first since large rifle primers are available

of course i want to load for 223/556 as well and then revisit the accuracy question again.

FCEAD561-E340-422C-95CD-475283C13C11.jpeg
10B5D732-82A6-40E6-90F9-39D06AAA689D.jpeg

200 yards with my MSR10 in .308 no one can convince me AR’s aren’t accurate.
I miss that rifle. 😢

Back