testtest

AR15 Barrel exposure opinions

Short Question:
How much barrel exposure are you comfortable with on an AR15 build? The purpose would be for range time and training family/friends on the platform.

Long Question:
I am 90% complete with my first AR15 build. My barrel is a 16.1" Odin Works Wylde and I am gathering opinions about what length of forend I want to finish it with. I don't plan on putting money into high-end optics or magnifiers or night-optics and whatnot, so picatinny rail options are not important . I'll start with flip sights and maybe put a ROMEO5 or similar on it in the future. I want this to be an un-intimidating rifle to introduce others to the platform, that runs reliably and cleanly.

I am looking at either the Odin Works O2 Lite or their M-LOK forend. The style of forend will be determined by the length. I am torn between a 15.5" and a 12.5". With the ATLAS compensator and a tunable gas block, the 15.5" exposes no barrel and the 12.5" exposes 3". My questions for the forum are:
  1. Is there a point where too much exposure is bad?
  2. What are your experiences?
  3. Any other feedback I'm missing? 😁
  4. What is your overall opinion?
I like the 12.5" because its profile is closer to that of a A4, but the 15.5" offers more options for grip.

The majority of the build lower is Geissele and the upper Odin Works. The mag release and safety are FDE as well. Deciding on a BCG. The FDE is to indicate where you should have contact with the firearm...so to speak. I wanted the scheme of black and FDE to fit some sort of pattern. Everything is properly lubed, staked, greased, torqued, etc. Looking forward to giving it a spin in the new year!

Attachments

• IMG_7423.jpeg
    IMG_7423.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 229
  • IMG_7422.jpeg
    IMG_7422.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 234
The few things that come to mind for a shorter handguard and more exposed barrel is less reach when holding the rifle, potential to get burned by the barrel, and you'll need to be aware of resting your barrel directly on bags or whatever else as your POI could shift.

With the small amount of lost handguard you are looking at you most likely won't need to worry too much about my statement above.

The shorter one looks better to me, and plenty enough room to put a grip and light looks like. It's just a matter of preference to the individual. I have short and long hand guards and there is no difference performance wise. You have a nice looking rifle no matter which one you choose.

I try and cover up the gb on most occasions. If mounting an optic I go as far as the gb, but adding irons I'll take it as far as I can.
Yeah, I only put optics on uppers proper. I've a Saint pistol and an 18" Wylde that I've mounted more comprehensive optics, but this is the first time I did a build.

I replaced one trigger...then the next thing I know, I'm building a whole rifle! 😄

Yeah, I only put optics on uppers proper. I've a Saint pistol and an 18" Wylde that I've mounted more comprehensive optics, but this is the first time I did a build.

I replaced one trigger...then the next thing I know, I'm building a whole rifle! 😄
Build it yourself and get exactly what you want! I've been building my AR's for the last 6 years. Now I'm starting to build BA's. I don't need the warrantee that other cling to.

Take a look at ultradyne c2 sights. Those and diamondhead. I like the diamond shape apertures as you can range for 3 different distances by using the lower, middle and top portion of the shape. Makes windage easier also. At least for me.

A long enough handguard & barrel so you can get a full support arm extension, and enough barrel beyond to not worry about extending your arm too far to endanger your support hand.

I've found that a 15" handguard with an 18" barrel met that criteria for me.

Last edited:
Definitely the long one. I don't like all that barrel hanging out the front. Keep in mind whether or not you're going to put a suppressor on it, other than that I like just the flash hider and maybe an inch of the barrel at most hanging out.

Back