testtest

Are There Differences Between Hollow Point and Solid Point Rimfire Cartridges?

David N.

Professional
Founding Member
I am experiencing an issue with newly purchased rounds not moving up the magazine body after a round is fired. Are solid point rounds taller than hollow point rounds? Can the amount of wax be an issue?

Below is a list of equipment and associated issues, as applicable.
- Ruger Mark IV 22/45 Tactical.
- OEM 10-round magazines.
- Aguila black box (see below), 500 rounds, no malfunctions.
- Aguila red box (see below), 100 rounds, 1-2 failures to feed per magazine between rounds 2-5.

Aguila Super Extra Hollow Point 22LR Rimfire Ammunition 500 Round Box

Aguila Super Extra High Velocity 22LR Rimfire Ammunition 500 Round Box

Bullet profiles are nearly identical.

Do you have more of the black box stuff to run to see if it has problems? Did you disassemble it between the last time your shot it with black box and now?

Bullet profiles are nearly identical.

Do you have more of the black box stuff to run to see if it has problems? Did you disassemble it between the last time your shot it with black box and now?
I fired the last 200 rounds of the black box without issue and the magazines performed flawlessly. When I switched over to the red box, the issues started. Note. This was before I cleaned the magazines for the first time.

I disassembled, cleaned, and reassembled the magazines. Afterwards, I loaded the magazines and manually extracted rounds to check for function. The yellow box rounds are hanging up inside the magazine tube.

Last edited:
I bought 2 of the red box and have had all kinds of issues with them. Some go BANG and then some just a little pop. Accuracy if you could call it that is horrible. Switched over to Fed Auto match after getting pissed off and they performed great. Won't be fooled again. I have over a box and a half left that I guess will have to go thru my Rough Rider.

I removed the wax and it feels like glue from the rounds and they now slide freely within the magazine tube. I may move onto something else that does not have this amount of wax.

IMG_20231001_182329_01.jpg

Sometimes the issue could be just a bad batch of ammo. I shoot literally tons of Federal Auto Match bulk .22lr and I've never had an issue until I got a box roughly a month ago and I was having constant failure to feed and failure to fire problems in 3 different firearms. When I tried another box of the same type that I had with me the issue did not happen. I eventually got through the problem box and haven't ran into that again.

I've had problems with Remington Golden Bullet bucket ammo a few years ago where almost every round I could freely spin the bullet in the case. Some of the bullets were so loose that they would bend lightly while chambering and jam up the pistol I was using at the time.

Sometimes the issue could be just a bad batch of ammo. I shoot literally tons of Federal Auto Match bulk .22lr and I've never had an issue until I got a box roughly a month ago and I was having constant failure to feed and failure to fire problems in 3 different firearms. When I tried another box of the same that I had with me the issue did not happen. I eventually got through the problem box and haven't ran into that again.

I've had problems with Remington Golden Bullet bucket ammo a few years ago where almost every round I could freely spin the bullet in the case. Some of the bullets were so loose that they would bend lightly while chambering and jam up the pistol I was using at the time.
Yea, Remington got a bad rap over the past few years because of bad QC.

Hopefully, the company that bought the ammo business will/have fixed those issues.

Last edited:
I am experiencing an issue with newly purchased rounds not moving up the magazine body after a round is fired. Are solid point rounds taller than hollow point rounds? Can the amount of wax be an issue?

Below is a list of equipment and associated issues, as applicable.
- Ruger Mark IV 22/45 Tactical.
- OEM 10-round magazines.
- Aguila black box (see below), 500 rounds, no malfunctions.
- Aguila red box (see below), 100 rounds, 1-2 failures to feed per magazine between rounds 2-5.

Aguila Super Extra Hollow Point 22LR Rimfire Ammunition 500 Round Box

Aguila Super Extra High Velocity 22LR Rimfire Ammunition 500 Round Box
My experience with Aguila 22lr has not been good. The failure to fire rate with my Browning Buckmark is about 20% and is even higher in my Ruger SR22.

Back