Are you a fair tipper?

HayesGreener

Hellcat
Do you leave a nice tip?

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1683916386972.jpg
    FB_IMG_1683916386972.jpg
    80.7 KB · Views: 106
20%, and that's all the waiter/waitress gets, if the Mrs and I ever go to a restaurant, and it's been like 20 years since we did.

when i ran the road, at the truck stops or diners or other eateries, where i sit down for the meal, 20% as well..

the pizza delivery person gets $5.00 flat out, which is usually over the 20% tip, given the prices of the pizzas we order.

NEVER a donut shop, fast food place, deli, or anyplace else.

restaurant workers, get paid below minimum wage, and the tips he/she earns has to bring them up to the minimum for that hour, if not the entire shift, so they usually deserve a tip...IF i and the Mrs get good service, otherwise, i pay the bill and walk out, and NO tip for you...!!!

all other above mentions shops..?? the workers get paid minimum......

all others asking for a tip can go suck on a tail pipe.

For good service, I tip pretty much anywhere. I’ve been in the restaurant business for over 30 years.
For tip credit employees (Waitstaff earning less than minimum wage) I tip well for good service, really well for excellent service. Most places tip pool, in other words that server shares their tips with buss boys, cooks, etc.

For Fast food. No, heck no.

For QSR industries, those that make it FRESH right in front of you, a buck or two.
Pizza, a few bucks when I pick it up.

The main reason I tip for places other than sit down? People. Consumers. A lot of customers are simply A Holes who like to complain and treat restaurant staff overall like garbage.

For sit down dinner, it depends on if drinks are involved. If the waitstaff is constantly running to get us new drinks, they do a good job, I tip from 25 to 50% of the bill.

Work in the restaurant service industry for a while…you’ll appreciate good help.

Agree mostly, however a lot of restaurants waiter/waitress are required to combine all tips to a large tip jar. Later the tips are split up evenly with all the workers. A couple restaurants in this area keeps half then split what's left with the workers. I always try to fold up the tip & slip it to them discreetly. You did a great job this is for just you, I get a big thank you & a smile. A good waiter/waitress works their butt off.

I go 20% or easier just multiply the tax by 2 (higher IL tax) but sometimes I’ll go a lot more depending how attentive the waitress was, personality goes a long way.
Christmas time tipping is always bigger.
I also never add the tip to the credit card total, Cash Only, I think that a crooked restaurant would or could stiff the staff. That cash tip might be better now than them waiting a week or longer to get funds. Not sure how that works in food service world.

Found that dude waitresses tend to less enthusiastic, then it’s 15% …or less..., dude, you have an frickin’ coffee pot in your hand and you passed me by twice already. Everyone is entitled to a bad day ever now and then, but one or two particular restaurants I have visit (because of meeting with others) these guys are just generally sour.

I go 20% or easier just multiply the tax by 2 (higher IL tax) but sometimes I’ll go a lot more depending how attentive the waitress was, personality goes a long way.
Christmas time tipping is always bigger.
I also never add the tip to the credit card total, Cash Only, I think that a crooked restaurant would or could stiff the staff. That cash tip might be better now than them waiting a week or longer to get funds. Not sure how that works in food service world.

Found that dude waitresses tend to less enthusiastic, then it’s 15% …or less..., dude, you have an frickin’ coffee pot in your hand and you passed me by twice already. Everyone is entitled to a bad day ever now and then, but one or two particular restaurants I have visit (because of meeting with others) these guys are just generally sour.

Frankly, you’re better off tipping credit card. Traceable.
Wait staff can be crooks too.

When I used to run reports on wages…tips left on credit cards were always in the 20% range.
Cash tips are 8%. Does that mean charge card users are better tippers? No.
It just means they don’t report their wages.... and when it comes time to get a loan, mortagage, etc., they often end up disappointed.

If you tip on the CC, the tip is sometimes added to the waiter's paycheck and income-tax is withheld. Not everywhere, but enuf places I've learned about...I always leave at least 20%. Lots of discussions lately with my co-horts (sales reps) about tipping on the tax...I am ambivalent on that. At that point its just a dollar or 2 (unless it's a big one in Vegas. Had a 6-way split bill that my share was $4500. At that point tipping on the tax becomes more debatable!).

I always tip at restaurants, because workers usually depend on tips as part of their salary. My daughter worked at a well known restaurant chain while in college and I think she was paid $1.05 an hour, plus tips. I remember the night she came home in tears because a large family did not tip at all, so she had to pay the tip out of her pocket. I explained to her that some people are just plain cheap. I always tip, and tip extra for good service.

I always tip at restaurants, because workers usually depend on tips as part of their salary. My daughter worked at a well known restaurant chain while in college and I think she was paid $1.05 an hour, plus tips. I remember the night she came home in tears because a large family did not tip at all, so she had to pay the tip out of her pocket. I explained to her that some people are just plain cheap. I always tip, and tip extra for good service.
Can’t speak for other that Michigan…but I’m sure others are similar/same.
If tipped wages plus tip credit wage (Was less than minimum) don’t equal at least minimum wage, the employer has to make up the difference.

Rarely, does this happen.

If it does, its a sign of either…very, very slow night OR a server that is doing a poor job.
Yes, you get the occasional dirt bags that don’t tip at all or tip very poorly, but there are protections in place typically.

Tip credit wages are typically 25 to 30% of minimum wage.

Last I checked, certain states, 7 or 8, don’t have tip credit wages. In those states, wait staff is paid at least minimum wage, plus tips.

Can’t speak for other that Michigan…but I’m sure others are similar/same.
If tipped wages plus tip credit wage (Was less than minimum) don’t equal at least minimum wage, the employer has to make up the difference.

Rarely, does this happen.

If it does, its a sign of either…very, very slow night OR a server that is doing a poor job.
Yes, you get the occasional dirt bags that don’t tip at all or tip very poorly, but there are protections in place typically.

Tip credit wages are typically 25 to 30% of minimum wage.

Last I checked, certain states, 7 or 8, don’t have tip credit wages. In those states, wait staff is paid at least minimum wage, plus tips.
Yeah, it is definitely a tough line of work dealing with customers. She finally moved on to another job that she enjoyed more.

We tip the people who deliver a groceries cuz they have to bring it upstairs.

We don't order food for delivery when we did we tipped well. I worked for Domino's for 2 years.

I remember once my wife and I went to Red Lobster and the waitress in our section ignored us the entire night. The waitress from another section kept coming over and checking on us and keeping our drinks full and our basket of rolls full and basically giving us really good service.

We left two bucks for the woman who was supposed to be our waitress and found the other girl and put a $10 bill in her hands

Back