testtest

Armed Self-Defense: Should you Retreat

Lots of rules and reg for ones own state. Texas has Castle Law, 👍👍

i will add this:
It is not worth discharging or pulling a gun, even in a case of theft of ones property or harm unless it is absolutely necessary.
case in point: I am not going to pull a gun on a thug stealing the wheels off my car out front of the house and jeopardize sending a stray round into the bedroom of the neighbor across the street. Are my rims worth the neighbors life. I think not. I could pull my gun, but not worth it. I will flash the porch lights or such to let them know i’m there and use the gun as last resort.

Last edited:
IMO, if exposed you should retreat to effective cover.

In my state the Castle Doctrine is there, and in addition there's...

45-3-104. Use of force in defense of other property. A person is justified in the use of force or threat to use force against another when and to the extent that the person reasonably believes that the conduct is necessary to prevent or terminate the other person's trespass on or other tortious or criminal interference with either real property, other than an occupied structure, or personal property lawfully in the person's possession or in the possession of another who is a member of the person's immediate family or household or of a person whose property the person has a legal duty to protect. However, the person is justified in the use of force likely to cause death or serious bodily harm only if the person reasonably believes that the force is necessary to prevent the commission of a forcible felony.

As per the article's last two paragraphs, and the last sentence in 45-3-104 one must make sure the treat is real to justify the use of force.

Rule #3: If you have to, fight.

693d76e9c5f7c2e18a73d187d7be5286.jpg

I live in Texas, where I have no duty to retreat. Chapter 9 of the Texas Code of Criminal Procedure allows broad latitude for the use of deadly force to protect life, and even allows for the use of deadly force to protect property in certain circumstances. Despite this, I am willing to meet a thief or attacker halfway. I will not retreat, but I will do everything in my power to allow the criminal to do so. I will make every effort to let the criminal know that I am present and armed. If circumstances lead to the use of deadly force, I can assure you that I did not make the conscious decision that my safety or property was worth more than the criminal’s life, the criminal did.

I live in Texas, where I have no duty to retreat. Chapter 9 of the Texas Code of Criminal Procedure allows broad latitude for the use of deadly force to protect life, and even allows for the use of deadly force to protect property in certain circumstances. Despite this, I am willing to meet a thief or attacker halfway. I will not retreat, but I will do everything in my power to allow the criminal to do so. I will make every effort to let the criminal know that I am present and armed. If circumstances lead to the use of deadly force, I can assure you that I did not make the conscious decision that my safety or property was worth more than the criminal’s life, the criminal did.
There is no duty to retreat here in Missouri either. On the street, particularly if I’m in STL, I will retreat if possible. Pretty much anywhere except in my home or someone else’s home if I am there visiting or something or on my property I will retreat if possible.

Maryland requires retreat whenever possible, except when guarding an invaded home. Castle Doctrine, yes. Stand Your Ground, no.

Property that can be replaced (cars, credit cards, etc) is not to be protected, only threats to life and limb and irreplaceable property (cash, etc).

Gray area being, "he tried to carjack me and had a gun in my face; I was afraid for my life". Or something similar.

That's the gist of our legal requirements here in MD. For us rare birds who actually have Maryland wear & carry permits, anyway (we're a may-issue state, with pretty stupid requirements - which, fortunately, I meet).

I read something recently that resonated with me - effectively, that many bad guys have US or foreign military training. Not disparaging any vets, but It gave me pause for thought. Do I want to potentially go up against someone who got paid to throw themselves in harm's way on a daily basis? I know what my fight or flight response is and if I'm in my home, it's on, but if I'm out in the world I'm avoiding trouble as best I can.

Back