testtest

Attack of the Invasives

Talyn

SAINT
Founding Member
This also applies to the Interior West & PNW when folks moving here decide to be "bucket biologists" and bring a bucket of their favorite game fish that never existed here to dump into the ecosystem, or are traveling here with their watercraft and don't sterilize them from invasive aquatic critters and plants.

Both take off like the plaque.

Every small lake and river near me is over run with asian carp.

.Being a pretty hard core conservationist, I hate these invasive, non native species. The pythons in Florida are a great example. They are an apex predator in the Glades and have virtually no predators themselves. This is something most folks who will introduce these non-native species don't recognize. With no natural predators, these non-natives literally thrive. Many species of small mammals in the Glades have virtually been wiped out and there's no end in sight to the snakes. Even the original apex predator, the alligator is in somewhat danger as the smaller ones are even under attack by the snakes.

The Asian carp in our fresh water rivers and lakes are another example, as are the Snakeheads. There are several different types of mussels as well, clogging water inlets to large pumping stations and water craft. Our country is so diverse, and with diverse climates, almost any invasive, non-native can thrive. And unfortunately, there is always some idiot who thinks they know best, or for some other reason will justify it, that they will not only protect the non-native, but will often times try helping them.

I just read an article yesterday about the Spotted Lantern fly and some nit-wit trying to capture them from their back yard, trap them, cage them, and breed them. Who knows for what purpose? But these little pests can eat almost any type of vegetation (actually I think they suck it dry) and then leave a damaged, wilted, and weakened plant susceptible to some kind of fungus. They can literally wipe out an entire garden in short order. There are a few predators for them, but they are also prolific breeders as I understand. I don't know a whole lot about them, but I do know we don't need them here and why in hell would anyone have a desire to raise more of them? jj

I guess you boys have never dealt with Kudzu. Stuff could grow a foot or more a day. Strangles out everything it over grows. I've seen entire valleys covered in it.
Thankfully, in the last 20 years or so, they seem to have gotten it under control for the most part. But its still there, just waiting.

I guess you boys have never dealt with Kudzu. Stuff could grow a foot or more a day. Strangles out everything it over grows. I've seen entire valleys covered in it.
Thankfully, in the last 20 years or so, they seem to have gotten it under control for the most part. But its still there, just waiting.
I’ve spent a couple decades now trying somewhat successfully to eradicate Winter Creeper on the hill out back on the river bank. I’ve managed to keep it out of the yard proper and just this year managed to get and keep it off the trees. It’s killed about 5 very large trees out back over the last 20 years.

Interesting thread...makes me want to research a tad on zebra and quagga mussels. Back in the mid-1980's the zebra was touted as the end of all life in lake Michigan, but they seem to be catching fish 45 years later. I know the perch, alewife(spelling?) and smelt are sparse...maybe that was a result...but the stocked salmon and trout fishing seems to be strong. I'll have to look into it before popping off.

Back