testtest

Ayoob: How You’d Lose Your CCW (and How to Stop It)

I carry every day, unless I have to go into a courthouse physically. Even carrying at 3:30 can be painful for me, especially getting into and out of vehicles. Since I carry regular Hellcat or similar, like my CZ P-10M, I have taken to wearing what is termed "a holster shirt". Stuffing the firearm under the left arm pit with the spare mag under the right, makes the whole EDC rig disappear before your eyes. It simply cannot be detected under a tropical shirt. Be (very) aware, however, to not buy the cheap Chinese crap sold on Amazon. Not reliable!

This is a good article, the problem is he covered everything so there's really no room to reply without just repeating what he said.

So I'm just going to tell you two stories.

That worked in the sound booth at a church that I used to go to, I never talked to the guy much myself but somebody told me he was in 10th Group.

Anyway every time I saw him in church he had on his skin tight turtleneck with a Glock in the back of his pants. It was like he wanted everybody to know that he was carrying a gun without being so crass as to Open Carry.

The second story was I went to apply for a security position at a health insurance company several years ago.

I walked into the lobby of the office building I went to the directory and I started looking for the office number of the people I was applying at.

Somebody walked up behind me and asked if they could help me find something.

I turned around to answer the guy and the first thing I noticed was the 5.11 shoes. Then I noticed the 5.11 pants. Then I noticed the Rigger Belt and the clips from his tuckable holster. He was wearing a dress shirt though so, I guess he considered himself "concealing".

During the interview I asked the person interviewing me if, assuming I got the job, would I be wearing the same uniform as the security guard who greeted me in the lobby.

They were very interested in how I knew he was a security guard, so I told them.

One more story, people don't get it.

One of the counter girls in my gym was telling me yesterday that she carries a gun in her backpack that she keeps behind the desk at the gym. As politely as I could I mentioned that she'd probably be better off having that gun under her direct personal control instead of in a backpack. She informed me that it always was under her direct personal control. So I asked her where the backpack was when she was in the back of the gym changing paper towels in the cleaning stations?

I watched her go all "Deer in the Headlights."

Last edited:
I carry every day, unless I have to go into a courthouse physically. Even carrying at 3:30 can be painful for me, especially getting into and out of vehicles. Since I carry regular Hellcat or similar, like my CZ P-10M, I have taken to wearing what is termed "a holster shirt". Stuffing the firearm under the left arm pit with the spare mag under the right, makes the whole EDC rig disappear before your eyes. It simply cannot be detected under a tropical shirt. Be (very) aware, however, to not buy the cheap Chinese crap sold on Amazon. Not reliable!
What protects the trigger in your holster shirt?

Great article Ayoob, as usual.
Allow me to comment on the "Open Carry" topic and allowing your firearm to be seen by others.
Allowing your "concealed" firearm to be seen is a very bad idea!!
Open Carry is an EXCEEDINGLY BAD IDEA!
Examples of Concealed Firearm and Open Carry of a firearm gone wrong:
(There are plenty more but I believe these examples make a good point on Open Carry)
January 1, 2010
Police Officer out of his car on foot was hit in head, knocked unconscious, and his duty firearm was stolen.
January 1, 2011
Thief steals handgun from man open carrying - gun owner chased the suspect on foot. The suspect shot and killed the victim/gun owner. Suspect shot and killed another innocent victim a few days later with the same gun he stole.
May 19, 2016
An open carry gun owner was approached from behind by a thief who grabbed his firearm from his holster and fled the scene with the firearm.
December 1, 2020
A thief stole a gun from the waistband of a man who had the gun concealed but it became visible to the suspect.
February 18, 2022
A firearm was stolen from a woman who was wearing the weapon on her hip in a holster while pumping gas at a gas station.
February 18, 2023
A 17-year-old suspect stole a gun from a man who was carrying the weapon concealed. The man chased the thief who shot him to death in the parking lot.
October 5, 2023
Open Carry Fail - A criminal took a gun away from a man who was carrying the weapon openly and fled with the gun.
October 17, 2023
A suspect stole gun from man open carrying the firearm and same suspect was later arrested for a crime involving the use of the gun he stole.
November 28, 2023
A thief snuck up behind a man standing in a line at a convenience store and stolen his open carry firearm.

Last edited:
This article emphasizes well the importance of the element of surprise.
It always BEST for no one to know you have a concealed firearm until it is needed...

The approximate cost of a pistol or revolver round (depending on the chosen ammunition, etc): Approximately $2.00
The look in the eyes of a thug when suddenly looking at the muzzle of a concealed carry firearm: PRICELESS!!

Great reading! I remember when the "Shooting Vests" reminiscent of clays vests were popular. My instructor called them the "shoot me first" vest. With so many CC options these days you just have to find the best blend of concealment / comfort and draw speed. Keep the great Beta coming!
Lol, you just described all State Criminal Investigators in Colorado from about 2000 through about 2015.

This is a good article, the problem is he covered everything so there's really no room to reply without just repeating what he said.

That worked in the sound booth at a church that I used to go to, I never talked to the guy much myself but somebody told me he was in 10th Group.

Anyway every time I saw him in church he had on his skin tight turtleneck with a Glock in the back of his pants. It was like he wanted everybody to know that he was carrying a gun without being so crass as to Open Carry.

The second story was I went to apply for a security position at a health insurance company several years ago.

I walked into the lobby of the office building I went to the directory and I started looking for the office number of the people I was applying at.

I turned around to answer the guy and the first thing I noticed was the 5.11 shoes. Then I noticed the 5.11 pants. Then I noticed the Rigger Belt and the clips from his tuckable holster. He was wearing a dress shirt though so, I guess he considered himself "concealing".

During the interview I asked the person interviewing me if, assuming I got the job, would I be wearing the same uniform as the security guard who greeted me in the lobby.

They were very interested in how I knew he was a security guard, so I told them.

One of the counter girls in my gym was telling me yesterday that she carries a gun in her backpack that she keeps behind the desk at the gym. As politely as I could I mentioned that she'd probably be better off having that gun under her direct personal control instead of in a backpack. She informed me that it always was under her direct personal control. So I asked her where the backpack was when she was in the back of the gym changing paper towels in the cleaning stations?

I was in our local pharmacy awhile back, concealed carrying in my 5.11 drawers ;). (Context: 5.11 pants are the most comfortable and useful for me; they size just right so my IWB holster doesn't bind/pinch and my Anson dress ratchet belt works great with them. I usually have on a long sleeve untucked shirt and tennis shoes or the old man-style Rockports. Hey, I'm untactical, right?

Anyway, the drug store has a convenient throughway to the BBQ place next door and I was on my way to pick up dinner. I see these three people standing in one of the drug store aisles and the lady with her back to me has a soft holster tucked into the back of her pants (6 o'clock). Her top was caught up behind the rig and everything was in plain sight. I didn't say anything, but could've walked right past her and fished the firearm out, as easy as you please.

I probably should've told her about it, but I just got the sense she didn't care.

Excellent stories! The 2nd one regarding the 5.11 comments were funny. Why make yourself out to be that "tactical look at me." option

Washington state. Most of the time the weather makes it easy to conceal. Heavy wool shirt, sweatshirt, coat. Even in restaurants people keep these garments on. The five months of so when it might get warm enough to not be wearing these garments is the problem. I went to a vest this last winter after viewing a video by Mr. Ayoob. In that video, he had nothing against them, and the gun is concealed. For that garment I use a Sig Sauer P239. If I am using a sweat shirt or heavy wool shirt jac, I have shoulder holsters for a Browning HP or 1911 if I do not use the vest. These are Falco "Roto" rigs and I like them. Old age with the accompanying back issues have made belt carry uncomfortable and the 3:30 position wears out my clothes and car seats. I have used cross draw in the boonies when hiking, but even that becomes uncomfortable, and I have given up and use the shoulder holsters which I also have for two .357 revolvers and a S&W 41. Realistically, my 12 gauge Benelli works better than any handgun for any "critters" in that scenario.

Another outstanding article by Mass. One thing I would of like to see him cover is shoulder rigs.

As retired LEO with over 28 yrs of service. I did many as a K9 patrol Sgt and SRT. Now I find myself doing work such as EP, contact security and church security.

While doing EP and church security I have to dress in my Sunday's best which means I can't wear a "tactical" type belt. Wearing a dress belt will not support a pistol, spare mags, cuffs, etc.

So I have no other option but to go to my Galco Miami Classic shoulder rig. There are also times when I'm in a hurry where I'll throw that on too.

Washington state. Most of the time the weather makes it easy to conceal. Heavy wool shirt, sweatshirt, coat. Even in restaurants people keep these garments on. The five months of so when it might get warm enough to not be wearing these garments is the problem. I went to a vest this last winter after viewing a video by Mr. Ayoob. In that video, he had nothing against them, and the gun is concealed. For that garment I use a Sig Sauer P239. If I am using a sweat shirt or heavy wool shirt jac, I have shoulder holsters for a Browning HP or 1911 if I do not use the vest. These are Falco "Roto" rigs and I like them. Old age with the accompanying back issues have made belt carry uncomfortable and the 3:30 position wears out my clothes and car seats. I have used cross draw in the boonies when hiking, but even that becomes uncomfortable, and I have given up and use the shoulder holsters which I also have for two .357 revolvers and a S&W 41. Realistically, my 12 gauge Benelli works better than any handgun for any "critters" in that scenario.
Theirs a product online leisurecarry dot com which I'm thinking to purchase this for the warm months ahead of us (more flexibility wearing lighter material pants or shorts) Also, I switched my EDC to a Ruger Security 380 with alien gear holster shape shift AIWB and by far more comfortable for EDC than my dagger compact 9mm

Thought of a Sig Sauer p365, but I've got enough handguns now, and it still doesn't fit into pants pockets all that well. The days here that get hot enough to wearing a long sleeve shirt and attracting attention or such are minimal. Washington recently passed some "sensitive area" restrictions to "open carry", but they do not apply to CC permitted carry. I stay away form Seattle and the like.

Now if the "Noisy Cricket" of "Men In Black" were to become available... As I recall, the recoil was a tad severe.

Another outstanding article by Mass. One thing I would of like to see him cover is shoulder rigs.

As retired LEO with over 28 yrs of service. I did many as a K9 patrol Sgt and SRT. Now I find myself doing work such as EP, contact security and church security.

While doing EP and church security I have to dress in my Sunday's best which means I can't wear a "tactical" type belt. Wearing a dress belt will not support a pistol, spare mags, cuffs, etc.

So I have no other option but to go to my Galco Miami Classic shoulder rig. There are also times when I'm in a hurry where I'll throw that on too.
There are gun belts that are leather covered to look like dress belts. many of them have nice belt buckles also.

Back