testtest

Ayoob: Is the .45 Obsolete?

This discussion should be entertaining.

1620919536867.png

Nah, man. I love the .45. My 1911 is the last pistol I'd give up. Sure the "stopping power" claims are silly but I don't think there's a person on earth that would be happy after catching one in the chest.
I was gonna say practically the same thing (although I do believe in the .45s stopping power).
Some time back I had some ammo out and put a 124gr 9 upright on the table beside a 230gr .45....
asked a buddy which one he’d rather not get hit with.
You can guess his answer (and he only owns 9s !)

Those who say a 9 is better than a 45 are people who have never actually seen what each do. I was unfortunate enough to see both in a real life situation back in the late 90’s. A guy (likely high on drugs) charged sheriffs deputy’s with a baseball bat both drew their weapons one having a 9, the other a 45… the aggressor took three rounds of 9 to the chest and was still coming, one round of 45 put him on his back and that was that. People can say what they will about each which are both quality calibers but mass vs speed, the laws of physics don’t lie. To each their own for their personal situation but it’s the 45 for me!

My choice of the .45 over 9mm or .40 was cemented back when I shot pin matches (late 80's-early 90's). Knocking a full weight bowling pin 3 feet back off a a table was never a problem for the .45 ACP. 9mm took two hits to do it and .40 could go either way. I've carried a .45 since then and feel no need to change. Plus the 1911 fits my hands like it was custom made for me.

While I am, and have been for years, clearly in the camp that the .45 ACP is a better defensive choice than a 9mm after having been there when people were shot with the 9mm, my biggest takeaway was over the 9mm losing whatever the new wonder ammo offered when people are dressed in heavy clothing.

I have no doubt that 9mm ammo has vastly improved over the years but I would also make the same contention for .45ACP. All of those advantages for both cartridges apparently are lost when the adversary is heavily clothed as pointed out in this article. So, if in the winter, we are back to hardball, we are also back to how inferior the 9mm is to the 45ACP when hardball was the only choice.

Springfield's XDs in .45 ACP suddenly becomes much more attractive as a daily carry gun.

Hello all, here is today's article posted on TheArmoryLife.com. It is titled "Ayoob: Is the .45 Obsolete?" and can be found at https://www.thearmorylife.com/ayoob-is-the-45-obsolete/.

This coming from a 30 year law enforcement officer who spent more time investigating murders and more time in the autopsy room than at home. I have seen ballistic wounds a lot. My winter ccw is a Springy loaded w/18.5 recoil spring spittin Double tap .450 SMC's in 230 grn. w/ 8 rnd. wilson Combat mags. My warm weather ccw is a Colt Defender 3". Don't get me wrong I have 9mm's and 40's and I love all guns, but when my ass is on the line, .45 is it. The pistol was invented to knock people down and kill them. Still does a good job today.

From the first time I bought a Colt Combat Commander in early 70's to today , there has been a .45 ACP handgun in my home and there always will be as long as I am able to lift a handgun.

I have stated before that if the SHTF I might run out of HP's but with the .45 I can still stop bad actions with ball ammo.

Just to be clear , I carry everything from .22 LR up to the .45 depending on occasion .

Back