testtest

Ayoob’s SHTF .308

Interesting read. I have always been a fan of the .308 and the Garand based rifles in particular.

I've fired them off and on for years but have never owned one. When I purchased a .308 some years ago it was in the AR-10 configuration which I have much more experience with.

I respect Mr. Ayoob's position on the weapon and totally agree with his thoughts on the .308 caliber. I firmly believe I can accomplish the tasks he sets out in his article with that AR-10.

AR%2010%2001-L.jpg

I like my Savage .308 bolt-action rifle, and I love how lightweight it (with its polymer stock) is...until I fire it a few times.

Wow.

Either I'm getting SUPER-soft in my old age, or it really has some kick to it. I either need to add some weight, or stick a pad on it. But if I need to reach out and touch someone, it's definitely a nice round. Super-consistent, and excellent stopping power.

Maybe once I'm done with my Jeep Grand Cherokee monthly payments in January, I can start socking some money away for some new long guns...hehe...

I like my Savage .308 bolt-action rifle, and I love how lightweight it (with its polymer stock) is...until I fire it a few times.

Wow.

Either I'm getting SUPER-soft in my old age, or it really has some kick to it. I either need to add some weight, or stick a pad on it. But if I need to reach out and touch someone, it's definitely a nice round. Super-consistent, and excellent stopping power.

Maybe once I'm done with my Jeep Grand Cherokee monthly payments in January, I can start socking some money away for some new long guns...hehe...
These Rock. I'm slender in size & shoot a lot of old large caliber rifles. My shoulder thanks me. 🤪
limsaver.jpg

"What is the "Walking Dead"? IMHO, the "walking dead" (braindead at least) are the idiots who wander around in parking lots so wrapped up in their cell-phones that they are unaware of what's happening around them. A year back, I was backing my van out of its space when a young human female (she was no lady) walked into the side of my van because she was busy with a conversation on her phone. She claimed I had hit her and only the words of two other witnesses convinced her that I was in fact not moving and that she had walked into the side of my vehicle.
After that happening, I became aware of just how many brain-dead parking-lot idiots there were - totally involved in their own little world and totally ignoring of any reality, assuming that their legal "Right-of-Way" protected them from any and all hazards.
So - "Walking Dead"? Now playing in any parking lot, crossing, street, or other places where vehicles and pedestrians meet. The TV show doesn't even scratch the surface in the sheer numbers of people (?) involved.

I also respect Mr. Ayoob's position on the SOCOM, but also would prefer my Scout with the longer barrel & greater ballistic performance, and less muzzle blast than the SOCOM.

But, that being said, I believe the FAL in it's Congo or PARA configurations is/are superior to the M1A for a SHTF .308 based on better egonomics, an adjustable and more durable gas system, and other features.

My .02

Last edited:
I’ve had a Socom 16 for over ten years. I’ve knocked down a bunch of hogs with it. Taking it to Oklahoma in 10 days for a helicopter hog hunt.
I mounted a holographic red dot on it just in front of the rear sight. Shooting with both eyes open is awesome and the groups are all hand sized at 100 yds off hand.
I cannot be happier with this purchase.

I also respect Mr. Ayoob's position on the SOCOM, but also would prefer my Scout with the longer barrel & greater ballistic performance, and less muzzle blast than the SOCOM.

But, that being said, I believe the FAL in it's Congo or PARA configurations is/are superior to the M1A for a SHTF .308 based on better egonomics, an adjustable and more durable gas system, and other features.

My .02
Man speaks my language ! 😊
Para FAL is the bomb .. currently building a Para configuration
ED09ECD2-A9A8-4635-A99E-E5BCB94804EB.jpeg

I love the FN FAL,too. Have a box of shoulders around here somewhere, you just reminded me to look for them and organize better. Always wanted a para, but after shooting a friend's class 3 one, I stick with the full stock! I did cut my SHTF one back to 16 1/4" , makes it compact and handle well. Aimpoint Comp M on it and it is quite handy. The adjustable gas system is the clincher for me....

Long time lurker here.

Good article. Have loved my M1A (Standard) since 2005. But it recently got replaced as my SHTF/TEOTWAWKI go-to by three different rifles purchased over the summer... all three calibers of Saint Victor AR pistols (.223, .300blk, and .308). The big .308 is definitely now my go-to bruiser. What a BEAST! You definitely get the full picture of its beastliness when you pick it up next to the .223 and .300blk. Can't go wrong with any SA rifle though! My all-original [non-mutt] 1943 Garand wouldn't suck at the job either. PING!

Hello all, here is today's article posted on TheArmoryLife.com. It is titled Ayoob’s SHTF .308 and can be found at https://www.thearmorylife.com/ayoobs-shtf-308/.

I really enjoy reading his articles and the scenario he laid out could obviously be a real life event if things get worse however I’m skeptical on one thing he brings up when he mentioned the round count in a shotgun compared to his Socom chambered in .308 so please correct me if I’m wrong but can you use a high capacity mag; 15, 20, 30 rounds in that rifle???
Now I believe in the .308 for long distance that’s why I’ve kept my Savage AR10 MSR Hunter for the reach out and touch something capability and having the high round count magazine’s helps ensure I have enough for all the zombies.

I really enjoy reading his articles and the scenario he laid out could obviously be a real life event if things get worse however I’m skeptical on one thing he brings up when he mentioned the round count in a shotgun compared to his Socom chambered in .308 so please correct me if I’m wrong but can you use a high capacity mag; 15, 20, 30 rounds in that rifle???
Now I believe in the .308 for long distance that’s why I’ve kept my Savage AR10 MSR Hunter for the reach out and touch something capability and having the high round count magazine’s helps ensure I have enough for all the zombies.

You are correct. I dunno abou 30-round mags, but I've got a half dozen 20-round mags for my M1A. It sits in my safe next to my Century C308 (H&K91/G3) and both are very comparable rifles. The 20-round box mag for the M14 type is very stout, but pricey (why I don't own a couple dozen), while the 20-round box mag for the G3 is less sturdy, but very cheap, so I have lots of those. I enjoy shooting both of those rifles, but the edge would go to the G3 in a SHTF situation because it's shorter, has the pistol grip ergos, and a bunch of mags. But now that I've got the Saint .308, it beats 'em both.

You are correct. I dunno abou 30-round mags, but I've got a half dozen 20-round mags for my M1A. It sits in my safe next to my Century C308 (H&K91/G3) and both are very comparable rifles. The 20-round box mag for the M14 type is very stout, but pricey (why I don't own a couple dozen), while the 20-round box mag for the G3 is less sturdy, but very cheap, so I have lots of those. I enjoy shooting both of those rifles, but the edge would go to the G3 in a SHTF situation because it's shorter, has the pistol grip ergos, and a bunch of mags. But now that I've got the Saint .308, it beats 'em both.
They do make some good quality 25 rounders. Expensive and kind of cumbersome, as they start to get long. For distance engagement like he had discussed, 20's are okay. Best rule is, have friends. IF you are thinking of a car load or two of Antifa showing up in your driveway and you are alone (or wife and kids not super well trained,etc), a m249 probably won't help. They are going to flank you. Perhaps falling back to a more defensive position and having an m4 style rifle there wouldn't be a bad idea. I've looked at my rural scenario and have realized that I am SOOL (something out of luck) if I am alone. I also can not justify afterwards of engaging at 100 plus yards unless they do.

Back