testtest

Bad ammo

S

Simon

Just curious if anyone has experienced problems with this ammo ? Supposedly they are using inferior quality components. The reliability is suspect for carry.
2 recalls in the past several years!

I bought 200rnd of "Maxtech" 9mm once, brass jacketed bullets. 4 out of 200 would not fire in my Sig P320 M18. They simply failed to ignite when the primer was struck. After giving them time for hang fire, then left them sit for a few minutes. I unloaded each as it occurred and loaded them in my XD-M Elite OSP Tactical that has a stronger firing pin strike than the Sig. It fired 3 of the 4, so only one dude "sort of" out of the 200. But compared to other ammo that I have never had a single problem, that says poorer quality for that ammo, IMO.

I have a Ruger 22/45 Mark III that will suffer feed problems after it gets dirty with anything but round nosed high velocity rounds. But that is more of a .22LR thing, both the Ruger and the ammo and how dirty it is....

As far as ammo going bad, good ammo is sealed.... I have surplus ammo that is a decade old, including surplus Mauser Ammo that is decades old, never had a problem with it... ....it can go bad with time and exposure to the elements, but I simply haven't experienced it.... ....all my surplus ammo is military surplus (meaning it was high quality) or my cheap ammo I shoot right away...

I bought 200rnd of "Maxtech" 9mm once, brass jacketed bullets. 4 out of 200 would not fire in my Sig P320 M18. They simply failed to ignite when the primer was struck. After giving them time for hang fire, then left them sit for a few minutes. I unloaded each as it occurred and loaded them in my XD-M Elite OSP Tactical that has a stronger firing pin strike than the Sig. It fired 3 of the 4, so only one dude "sort of" out of the 200. But compared to other ammo that I have never had a single problem, that says poorer quality for that ammo, IMO.

I have a Ruger 22/45 Mark III that will suffer feed problems after it gets dirty with anything but round nosed high velocity rounds. But that is more of a .22LR thing, both the Ruger and the ammo and how dirty it is....

As far as ammo going bad, good ammo is sealed.... I have surplus ammo that is a decade old, including surplus Mauser Ammo that is decades old, never had a problem with it... ....it can go bad with time and exposure to the elements, but I simply haven't experienced it.... ....all my surplus ammo is military surplus (meaning it was high quality) or my cheap ammo I shoot right away...
I'm currently 1/2-way through a case of Zinc-Point 9mm (purchased due to low cost at the time, along with one too many brandies , a cc, and the internet) with the exact same primer issue you describe. I am seeing 1 of 20 fail to fire on first primer strike. Every one fired on the 2nd primer strike, but it is bothersome on the range. Except it shows me how bad I flinch:ROFLMAO:.

i always have a problem with bad ammo. none of my guns like bad ammo. bad ammo doesn't cycle real well and sometimes doesn't go bang. bad ammo is, well.... bad.
(just bustin' chops)
1CF242D6-BEFD-4047-B2C7-02D2563C9500.gif

Just a follow-up on my previous post from November, Zinc-Point and ZSR are the same company I have come to learn. I bought a case of 9mm 124 grain FMJ range ammo from Zinc-Point. Used it all up yesterday. The last 200 rounds I had 14 rounds requiring 2 primer hits. Junk. ZSR is the same company and markets M-80 (7.62x51) cheap range ammo. I bought a 500-round case in Dec/Jan, and shortly thereafter I saw a couple of videos on YT about guns exploding with this ammo (same lot number I had purchased). That poster also started a thread on this forum (Galactic something-or-other). My retailer, True Shot out of AZ, agreed to take back the full case for a full refund after reviewing the videos of the rifles exploding. These failures appear to be from case separation just above the rim, upon firing.

I'm very glad I have all of this garbage out of the house! And also sad that Norma stopped making .308 range ammo, my favorite affordable .308 round. At least they have not had it on their website for about a year....

well, good thing you updated.

i have been staying away from "cheap ammo", unless it is "Brand named ammo", being sold cheap as in sale priced.

i'll let others possibly ruin thier firearms all for the sake of buying "cheap" ammo.

Some of us make our own bad ammo :)

My first 10 45 ACP reloads had two failures to eject, nothing a couple tenths more powder didn't fix.
The next 20 all functioned, now to load up a hundred for more testing.

Some of us make our own bad ammo :)

My first 10 45 ACP reloads had two failures to eject, nothing a couple tenths more powder didn't fix.
The next 20 all functioned, now to load up a hundred for more testing.
yeah me too...i think as of last week..??

i have had a total of near squib loads (very low charges) ....and i know why too, i just didn't dial in the charge perfectly.

and they were all done on the Lee too. ( i jot down the press that does the loads)

"pfft"...went the sound, and i saw my bullet crawling on the floor, up to the target, and beg for mercy to help it up....

those were my first runs of reloading......

Back