testtest

Bad Doctor: what to do?

Grayfox

Custom
To make a very long story short as possible, my oldest son (44) is diabetic. He's been having serious problems with his right foot for about 6 months. Several surgeries to remove infected tissue and has to constantly be on a wound vacuum. He can barely get around and has multiple doctor's visits every week, plus any normal running around he needs done. I'm his driver.
Today he was supposed to have skin grafts put on his open wounds. This was to be the last step to getting him straightened out. Just a couple of weeks for this to heal and he'd be good to go.
This was to be performed by a Plastic Surgeon. New doctor for him. We only saw this guy twice to schedule surgery. Frankly, he didn't seem real interested. He did insist on a $1200 down payment. Which my son paid.
Because its the first of the year and due to my son's insurance and deductible, he had to pay the hospital $2800 in advance.
Today was the day. We showed up a little early. The hospital did their part just fine. THE DAMNED DOCTOR DIDN'T SHOW UP! Not a call or nothing. He just never arrived! 🤬🤬🤬
My son and I are both beyond pissed off!!!! 🤬 🤬 🤬
We have filed a formal complaint with the hospital. But we can't blame them. They did their part and quite well too.

My question is what can we do about this? Who do we file complaints with? What action can be taken? And then there's the $4000 he's out! What about that?
Any and all opinions/ options welcome.

To make a very long story short as possible, my oldest son (44) is diabetic. He's been having serious problems with his right foot for about 6 months. Several surgeries to remove infected tissue and has to constantly be on a wound vacuum. He can barely get around and has multiple doctor's visits every week, plus any normal running around he needs done. I'm his driver.
Today he was supposed to have skin grafts put on his open wounds. This was to be the last step to getting him straightened out. Just a couple of weeks for this to heal and he'd be good to go.
This was to be performed by a Plastic Surgeon. New doctor for him. We only saw this guy twice to schedule surgery. Frankly, he didn't seem real interested. He did insist on a $1200 down payment. Which my son paid.
Because its the first of the year and due to my son's insurance and deductible, he had to pay the hospital $2800 in advance.
Today was the day. We showed up a little early. The hospital did their part just fine. THE DAMNED DOCTOR DIDN'T SHOW UP! Not a call or nothing. He just never arrived! 🤬🤬🤬
We have filed a formal complaint with the hospital. But we can't blame them. They did their part and quite well too.

My question is what can we do about this? Who do we file complaints with? What action can be taken? And then there's the $4000 he's out! What about that?
Your state medical board. Is he board certified? Better find out if he is legit

first, get a lawyer that specializes in medical issues, not some lawyer that does drunk driving cases, or Girl Scout Cookie claims. (seriously)

then seek to know if that doctor is even on the surgical list for THAT particular hospital...all my doctors are "affiliated" with many hospitals here, so they are on the "surgical list".

your attorney should file a formal complaint with the state's medical oversight board.

seek out another professional thru that hospital, you paid them, they should hold your deposit with no issues, or refund it.

they also know GOOD Professional doctors, that are on thier staff.

seek in the end, to get that "doo-dah" doctors license revoked or suspended, and heavily fined, that'll be on the lawyer.

reasons for not showing up..

1) weather
2) car accident
3) sudden death in his family
4) stoned or drunk
5) he died

Wow!! Never heard that before a doctor didn’t show up, get a good lawyer, have you tried contacting this doctor? Maybe get your insurance involved.

Just to clarify. The hospital prepped my son, did all the pre-surgery stuff and had him waiting for the OR. The staff was left waiting for the doctor to walk through the door. He never did. He screwed the hospital too.
The hospital did their part and quite well too. I don't think we have valid grounds to demand a refund from them. I think it should be on that damned doctor to reimburse my son for the hospital costs.
And, He will be using a different doctor next time.
Its Friday afternoon now. I doubt we can do much until Monday. Need time to calm down anyway and make a plan.

As others mentioned, there could be valid reasons for the Dr.'s behavior. What alarms me initially is no contact from either he or his office. Notify the insurance company and your states medical board. Unfortunately, you will undoubtedly need an attorney, and sooner than later. I'm very sorry to hear of this; God bless all of you. Good luck, and keep us informed.

Just to clarify. The hospital prepped my son, did all the pre-surgery stuff and had him waiting for the OR. The staff was left waiting for the doctor to walk through the door. He never did. He screwed the hospital too.
The hospital did their part and quite well too. I don't think we have valid grounds to demand a refund from them. I think it should be on that damned doctor to reimburse my son for the hospital costs.
Its Friday afternoon now. I doubt we can do much until Monday. Need time to calm down anyway and make a plan.
i too am a diabetic, on pills only...my A1C flops around, but my primary says for me, it might be what is "normal"

never above 8.0, never below 6.8.......not as high as 7.6?...7.0-7.3-7.5, maybe 7.6, then it drops down again to the lower 7's.

i know how to control it by my diet, i just get "lazy" at times, or hungry before going to the range, and get a breakfast sandwich....

or on the rare occasion, a Mickey D's, "Big Breakfast", complete with regular fake high sugar, maple syrup

so i know it's me..my weight is like 10 pounds over what it "should be" like at 170...i weigh in at like 180 most times.

is your son "big guy"..???

i had to go to a dietician, and learn about eating better, and lesser amounts, and of course, NO sugars.. before the doctor prescribed my meds.

i am way older than your son, that's for sure, and no such tissue damage, once in a "blue moon" that diabetic neuropathy, that does not require meds.

i was diagnosed diabetic back around the early 1990's ??

I am so sorry this happened to your son, and to you. This "doctor" is obviously anything but professional, and if he is an actual doctor, he should have his license revoked. I would hope that the hospital would also be after his butt for costing them time and resources for nothing. I agree with the previous posts that you need a lawyer who specializes in medical malpractice and fraud, and I think you are right in using the weekend to calm things down and then document everything you can. I'm hoping that between you (and your lawyer) and the hospital, things can be sorted out satisfactorily and your son is reimbursed for the non service and things for his health can move forward quickly.

1st get your $ back! Next lower your expectations. Not saying you're being led astray. My oldest, also a diabetic, has been dealing with this for two years and numerous grafts. Still a hole in his foot and can't walk. Not trying to pee in your Wheaties, the boy came damn close to losing his foot, and they did take some bone. Just be prepared for things to not be as rosy as you may think they will be. You and yours are in our prayers.

When you find him I would put him in the hospital!
My son wanted to go straight to the doctor's office from the hospital. I wouldn't do that because we both would have gone to jail. I would have helped with the azz whoopin'! :rolleyes:

bc22wm: this ain't his first rodeo. He's had problems with his feet for years now. A few years ago, it was his left foot. He lost a couple of toes and a sizable part of it. But they finally got it all straightened out. No issues out of it for about two years now. Currently, its his right foot having the problems.

As for the hospital, before we left the Nurse Manager came to see us. She wasn't happy either and said that she would be filing a complaint on behalf of the hospital in our favor.

As for the hospital, before we left the Nurse Manager came to see us. She wasn't happy either and said that she would be filing a complaint on behalf of the hospital in our favor.
great news, i think i even with a lawyers input will put the brakes on that doctors career.

i know it's easy on our end to tell you to lawyer up, you may not want to go that route, but in the end, your sons life could have been considered in danger as well.

monetary compensation should not be a thought (although it helps) over righting a wrong.

there will be a brighter outcome of this.

we all wish your son and you, all the best of luck.

Back