testtest

Bait and Switch

I have had this issue repeatedly with Bass Pro and Cabela's. Ammo will show "In Stock" and the site will allow me to add it to cart. After the unnecessarily long checkout process, I receive notice that, "There is Insufficient Inventory to Fill Your Order". After repeatedly lowering the quantity ordered, and going through the lengthy checkout process each time, I will still get the "There is Insufficient Inventory to Fill Your Order" message. If there is "Insufficient Inventory" to fill an order of 1, then the item is clearly out of stock. The whole process is infuriating.

BP and Cabela's web inventory system is totally broken. Items will randomly show available to order yet are not available to order.

One thing to keep in mind is that a lot of the crap prices have to do with the chain of purchase. As a vendor you need inventory. If you can't get it through normal distribution channels the cost will be higher. Some places selling 9mm FMJ at $0.60+/round probably paid a lot more for it than normal distribution pricing.

I'm not making excuses for anyone but not all increases are due to gouging. Ultimately it is capitalism and free enterprise at work - supply and demand. Take a look at Gunbroker and other private sale resources and you'll find sales for 2-5 boxes of something you know full well sold at an Academy or other major local chain. At those stores you can still manage to pay $0.20-0.25 per round so you have common people trying to make a buck to feed their families or pay for their hobbies.

While I find CTD pricing distasteful one thing to note is they never seem to be out of stock, and their crap pricing is why, but in an emergency it is a good resource. Its all about perspective. They're cheaper than being covered by dirt which I suppose is where their naming comes from. However, if they just call themselves Dirt I think people might be more forgiving.

So for best pricing stand in line on delivery mornings at your local chain. Otherwise be prepared to ante up online, somewhere in the vicinity of $0.40-0.50/round. Over $0.50 is high. Under $0.40/round is very good.

Lets just say the N Texas CTD stores wnet under due to deceitful practices and a reputation that spread rapidly thru the local gun community

I used to shop at McKinney location. Before Sandy Hook the store had really good prices and helpful salespeople. I fully support everyone who ditched them after not only raising prices, but cancelling existing orders so that they could sell to new buyers at the higher price. Even if they did it to themselves, I'm always sad to lose a brick-and-mortar store. I prefer to do business locally if an LGS can come anywhere close to a competitor's online pricing, and try to only buy online for spectacular deals or when the online store is the only seller who has the gun I want.

I used to shop at McKinney location. Before Sandy Hook the store had really good prices and helpful salespeople. I fully support everyone who ditched them after not only raising prices, but cancelling existing orders so that they could sell to new buyers at the higher price. Even if they did it to themselves, I'm always sad to lose a brick-and-mortar store. I prefer to do business locally if an LGS can come anywhere close to a competitor's online pricing, and try to only buy online for spectacular deals or when the online store is the only seller who has the gun I want.
Mckinney store was a mess. Quit going there and they shortly thereafter went out of biz.

I prefer to do business locally if an LGS can come anywhere close to a competitor's online pricing

The hard part about that is, online vendors don't have the overhead that a brick-and-mortar place does...so it's HARD to beat them out. If my LGS is even close...I'll buy local, just to support my community. It always comes back tenfold, when I need "that part" or "this tweak" or "those adjustments"...and they scamper in back, take care of it, and hand it back to me with nothing but a smile and a "have a great day, man!".

Value.

Price.

They are NOT the same thing.

Back