testtest

Banning FMJ at a rifle range?!?

Texas Matador

Operator
Founding Member
I've been interested in expanding my range with my M1A. As such, I've been looking around for a new rifle range supporting out to at least 600 yards (stretch goal). Obviously, this means an outdoor range. I was pleased to discover many possibilities in my area until I learned that many of them banned FMJ. The reasons I was given ranged from FMJ tearing up their backstops to hitting rocks, sparking and catching fire. Needless to say, I'm confused by this. Obviously, people can run their ranges however they want but banning FMJ on a long distance range seems odd. What am I missing here?

I would also understand not allowing bi-metal jackets. They are more likely to cause damage and sparks. One of the ranges in my area also bans FMJ, so I do not frequent their range.

Typically, ranges will ban steel-core FMJ... but there's no reason to ban lead-based FMJ rounds. That sounds kind of odd!
I agree... there is no reason I can think of to ban lead core FMJ rifle ammo. Virtually all modern semiauto rifles require some form of jacketed ammunition in order to avoid massive lead fouling in the barrel, due to the high velocities involved.

@Matador - You don't live in Commiefornia, do you??

I agree... there is no reason I can think of to ban lead core FMJ rifle ammo. Virtually all modern semiauto rifles require some form of jacketed ammunition in order to avoid massive lead fouling in the barrel, due to the high velocities involved.

Ha! No. Texas, thus my confusion.

I'm curious! In your post you state that 'many' of the ranges have banned FMJ bullets; How many is many? It doesn't seem like ranges with the distances you speak of would be that prevelant and I could accept a single range banning certain bullet types based on faulty knowlege of the management, but a number of ranges, like you are implying, I find unusual.

I remember when indoor ranges banned fmj and required tmj. They cried about lead. Maybe that is what they want, maybe they want TMJ rifle bullets. No exposed lead at the heal.

I'm curious! In your post you state that 'many' of the ranges have banned FMJ bullets; How many is many? It doesn't seem like ranges with the distances you speak of would be that prevelant and I could accept a single range banning certain bullet types based on faulty knowlege of the management, but a number of ranges, like you are implying, I find unusual.
I've talked with four different ranges supporting out to at least 600 yards that are within "reasonable" driving distance and three of the four ban FMJ. Fortunately, I do have one option at this point that I'll be checking out...1.5 hour drive...sigh.

I've talked with four different ranges supporting out to at least 600 yards that are within "reasonable" driving distance and three of the four ban FMJ. Fortunately, I do have one option at this point that I'll be checking out...1.5 hour drive...sigh.

You are fortunate to have that many ranges in your area. I live in South Dakota and I live on an acreage in the country so I have access to maybe 300 yards for distance shooting, beyond that I am screwed.

re: "@Matador - You don't live in Commiefornia, do you??"

Well that certain would explain a lot if true. :cry:

I've been interested in expanding my range with my M1A. As such, I've been looking around for a new rifle range supporting out to at least 600 yards (stretch goal). Obviously, this means an outdoor range. I was pleased to discover many possibilities in my area until I learned that many of them banned FMJ. The reasons I was given ranged from FMJ tearing up their backstops to hitting rocks, sparking and catching fire. Needless to say, I'm confused by this. Obviously, people can run their ranges however they want but banning FMJ on a long distance range seems odd. What am I missing here?
It could be the lead in their butt or the $4!+ in their brain! My $.02.

Back