testtest

Barrel Care: Do You Need to Break in a Barrel? Really?

Good article on one of the age old questions…..Do you need to break in a barrel. I was always told yes, it is a time consuming task, but does it pay off.

Thanks Annie, Good article.
Have heard / read both from many different respected people. Some say yes, others say no that it's a mfg. bore, chambering and headspace issue. Some say mfg. rifling issues too. Much of the time it seems to be a no harm, no foul thing. Some mfg's state a breaking in period is needed while others say it isn't. Likely in how the barrel is originally constructed and to what mfg. tolerances are is my best guess. Best policy is likely to read and pay attention to barrel mfg's information.

Last edited:
Informative article, mostly for the accuracy geeker.
For the 99%, won't make a difference.

If you are on the line at Fort Perry, seeking Olympic
precision, or going for the Trophy Bull standing the
next peak over then yes; and while you're at it polish
the manufacturing gunk off the ammo you're using.

This. I have never went through the process. All my guns are accurate. If I was a competition target shooter I may consider it.

i live like 20 miles from one range. if i were to have done his break in procedure, i'd shoot once, drive home. clean, then go back.??

as it is, most public ranges do not allow anyone to disassemble a gun on the premises for anything, for any reason,,,!!

so i just load'em and shoot'em..

many times i use factory new ammo, for the fist 50 rds. after that, any gun that i have, from my most expensive Korth revolver, to my high end 1911's, to my high end 9mm's, get fed reloaded or new ammo, and cleaned after EVERY range visit, even if only 50 rnds went down the barrel.

now, my gun club, which is like less than 8 minutes from my house, also has a cleaning room.

but do i use that, even though i donated cleaning materials..??

heck no, so the same procedure for shooting/cleaning for me, as he says,

"Generally, if something works for you, and you are happy with the results, stick with it!"

i think that with my cleaning regimen, copper or lead fouling is nil.

i thought about , investing in a borescope, but for the cost, and what i do as far as shooting/cleaning....why bother..???

over all a good article, but i think more finicky that me.

Good article on one of the age old questions…..Do you need to break in a barrel. I was always told yes, it is a time consuming task, but does it pay off.

Every gun I’ve purchased I always avoided getting the barrel to hot to soon. The first 20-50 rounds would be shot allowing the barrel to cool every 5 to 10 rounds before shooting again. I also wouldn’t expect great groupings until after 100 rounds. I believe this is more important with long guns.
It’s what I do.

Every gun I’ve purchased I always avoided getting the barrel to hot to soon. The first 20-50 rounds would be shot allowing the barrel to cool every 5 to 10 rounds before shooting again. I also wouldn’t expect great groupings until after 100 rounds. I believe this is more important with long guns.
It’s what I do.
I tend to do something very similar as well.
I shoot my new pistols very similar as well. I'll go to the range (farm) shoot a few rounds, clean, shoot then clean more. At one time they sold a grit paste you could apply to the bullet to "lap" the bore as you shot. I've never used them, anyone else use them?

I tend to do something very similar as well.
I shoot my new pistols very similar as well. I'll go to the range (farm) shoot a few rounds, clean, shoot then clean more. At one time they sold a grit paste you could apply to the bullet to "lap" the bore as you shot. I've never used them, anyone else use them?
Adding anything to a bullet to “lap” or do anything else to a barrel is a disaster waiting to happen.

Agree, with hunting rifles I don’t think it matters, now when I shot benchrest back in the 90’s, yes, break in was a pain, shoot one round clean barrel, over and over, but it was the name of the game.

Adding anything to a bullet to “lap” or do anything else to a barrel is a disaster waiting to happen.
Well that was my thought as well, but, and there is always a but 😉
It was a fad at one time to apply a moly coating to bullets as well in about the same time period.

Don't see that much anymore either.

I tend to break in barrels of bolt guns. Having a friend who uses high-end barrels (Lilja, Krieger, Hart…) almost exclusively, I’ve seen how it can make a difference.

I also broke in my M1A Match…but that was the abbreviated process (3 rounds/5 rounds/10 rounds).

I think there is a benefit…but only with some platforms.

Back