testtest

Barrel length + suppressor length

If I understand barrel lengths, a longer barrel gives you a straighter trajectory.
My question is does adding a suppressor aid in a straighter trajectory as well? Is a 11.5” barrel with a 5” suppressor going to shoot as straight as a 16” barrel alone?

IMHO, I agree with the basic premise of your question...i.e. a longer barrel gives you straighter trajectory. BUT adding a "Suppressor" doesn't necessarily complete the rest of the premise...shoot as straight as a 16" barrel alone. My reasoning lies in the changes in barrel pressure (and barrel Harmonics) created by a Suppressor. And my thought lies in my experiences in shooting and reloading Long Guns where my three to five shot groupings opened up some (regardless of the bullet weight changes tested) once a Suppressor was added to the barrel, thereby changing the Harmonics of the barrel. So to bring the groups back -closer together- I had to change bullet weight, seating depth and even powders until I found the combo that the barrel-with Suppressor, liked the best and produced the best results. So getting back to your question, I would submit the best way to find the answer to your question, TEST different loads and see how the two combinations compare in the end. Now I will admit that my experiences are based on Long Guns and shooting from 50 yds to 600 yds, some of which was in competition. And therefore my handgun experiences lie in max 25 yard handgun target and combat experience in accuracy and grouping. But I do find you pose some interesting questions and I'd love to see what you come up with in the end.

If I understand barrel lengths, a longer barrel gives you a straighter trajectory.
My question is does adding a suppressor aid in a straighter trajectory as well? Is a 11.5” barrel with a 5” suppressor going to shoot as straight as a 16” barrel alone?
A longer barrel can give a flatter trajectory due to imparting a higher velocity to the bullet.

While a supressor can impart some additional velocity, it will not be nearly as much as a longer barrel.

So, if you have a 16” barrel, and 10” barrel with a 6” suppressor giving both the same OAL, the 16” barrel will give a substantially higher velocity, and therefore flatter trajectory.

The suppressor is not rifled or has a “twist” like the barrel does. The bullet will get its velocity thru the barrel alone, and not the suppressor is what I have always understood. The suppressor is a bunch of cone shaped pieces locked into one another that just has a hole in it. Think of using a .308/7.62 suppressor on a 5.56. It will work, but wont baffle as much of the gases as it has a larger hole the 5.56 - gases are traveling thru. Same with the bullet. It wont really be touching any “rifling” as it goes thru to impart any spin on it.

my understanding an .02 cents
(I’ll have to find an article I read years ago. )

The suppressor is not rifled or has a “twist” like the barrel does. The bullet will get its velocity thru the barrel alone, and not the suppressor is what I have always understood. The suppressor is a bunch of cone shaped pieces locked into one another that just has a hole in it. Think of using a .308/7.62 suppressor on a 5.56. It will work, but wont baffle as much of the gases as it has a larger hole the 5.56 - gases are traveling thru. Same with the bullet. It wont really be touching any “rifling” as it goes thru to impart any spin on it.

my understanding an .02 cents
(I’ll have to find an article I read years ago. )
Suppressors do impart a little additional velocity; while pressure is reduced, it is not eliminated...so the extra length of the suppressor does act like a barrel extension.

However, we are usually talking 25-50fps over what you would get without the suppressor...not really anything to get excited over.

A personal anecdote to the above...

We were running 147gr 9mm rounds through a 16” Colt carbine; these were remaining subsonic with just the flash hider. When we screwed on a suppressor, we started hearing sonic cracks...they were gaining just enough velocity to break the sound barrier with the added length of the suppressor.

Back