testtest

Barrels and Bullets: Conventional Versus Polygonal Rifling

I was not aware gas checks were used in semi auto pistol. I was under the impression that they were used in higher pressure revolver lead bullets to mitigate lead erosion at the base.
I thought the checks were used for better sealing behind the bullet? I was just curious if any had been used in semi's? Revolvers and lever guns is a yes on checks (or I've been told). Not my territory.

I thought the checks were used for better sealing behind the bullet?
Yes as to my comment on lead erosion. Hot plasma jets will cut through, the gas check will mitigate that. They are not necessarily used at lower velocity like cowboy loads or with harder higher antimony bullets.
And that is about all I know.
Just enough to be dangerous 😉. I've never loaded any lead projectiles, just copper jacketed.

i too shoot a lot of lead, with FMJ too. i do a mix each time. but this also goes to my cleaning after every range visit, to remove as much lead as possible each time too.

do i still have microscopic lead deposits in ANY barrel that ANY of my guns have?

i'm sure i do, but i also do not shoot tons of ammo every time at the range. i'd have to wonder from the article, how often the barrels are cleaned, and he also does go on to say competitive shooters, may experience issues, as it is, they do shoot thousands of rounds yearly, compared to my (and others) minuscule hundreds.

Good article

Semi jacketed ( commonly referred to as jacketed as opposed to full metal jacket) do not put lead fouling in the barrel as the lead never actually touches the barrel.
I realize that. It was just the nose. Just in a semi-auto the lead will/can deform some when loading because of the angle. I know several peeps like them (all lead or semi) in their 45's. I'm just choosing not to use any. IF I had a revolver I might shoot some lead (hardcast) in a 444M or 45-70.

I realize that. It was just the nose. Just in a semi-auto the lead will/can deform some when loading because of the angle. I know several peeps like them (all lead or semi) in their 45's. I'm just choosing not to use any. IF I had a revolver I might shoot some lead (hardcast) in a 444M or 45-70.
I have and will shoot jacketed in revolvers, but only FMJ in semi-autos.

I didn't mean to come off like I was schoolin' ya brother. Just clarifying for any other members who may be reading this and not know the difference.

I stand corrected then. But what about long range shooters, the bench rest guys? Do any use polygonal rifling?
Well, they did at one time:
1662943332256.png

Back