testtest

batteries and more batteries

rechargeable or not

• rechargeable

Votes: 3 37.5%
  • single use

Votes: 5 62.5%

• Total voters
With certain batteries getting higher and higher and some hard to find I've been using rechargeable in almost everything (optics, flashlights, wml and tv remotes). Surefire gets really expensive and holds less charge than other rechargeable batteries (even high drain type). I've had some cr123a recharge batteries for 6 years and are finally on their last leg from being charged from use 2-3 times per month. Also have some 18650's for about the same amount of time and still do a fair job, but ordered 10 more with even higher capacity. Don't waste money on store bought recharge types as most only hold half to 2/3's charge of others and aren't high drain. My $300 order will pay for itself in the 1st year easy.

I don’t use any rechargeable batteries. Other than the one inside the Holosun SCS on my VP9SK. Well, and the ones for my Feyachi weapon light, which is no longer a weapon light but just a very bright compact flashlight. And those batteries last a very long time.

i have 1 flashlight with a built in rechargeable battery

i have 1 flip style cell phone with a rechargeable battery

i have a total of 4 key fobs for our cars door locks with ordinary batteries

i have at least 3 remote controls for our tv's with ordinary batteries.

the cost of rechargeable batteries, and the recharging station, is not cheap

in the past, rechargeable batteries that i had?

wouldn't take a charge anymore (they were GE) at the time

i get my batteries (in quantities ) at walmart (Duracell) or in bigger quantities at Amazon

Soooo.. why r we hating using rechargeable batteries ?? Yes more expensive initially. Most of my power tools are Ridgid & Bosch, all w/ lit-ion batteries. Remotes of any type, using old school makes sense. However, once I started bleeding cash from buying cr123s to keep my Surefire going, quickly went to 18650s, now 21700s powering my EDC Olights & Nitecore ( mostly cuz can’t see squat w/out readers & the lite helps a ton !!). Sounds like some are dogmatically going w/ the ‘that’s how we always done it ‘round here’ & surprising 4 as smart & experienced as many come across. Maybe I’m misunderstanding the posts .. I am public school & college edumacated after all.

Soooo.. why r we hating using rechargeable batteries ?? Yes more expensive initially. Most of my power tools are Ridgid & Bosch, all w/ lit-ion batteries. Remotes of any type, using old school makes sense. However, once I started bleeding cash from buying cr123s to keep my Surefire going, quickly went to 18650s, now 21700s powering my EDC Olights & Nitecore ( mostly cuz can’t see squat w/out readers & the lite helps a ton !!). Sounds like some are dogmatically going w/ the ‘that’s how we always done it ‘round here’ & surprising 4 as smart & experienced as many come across. Maybe I’m misunderstanding the posts .. I am public school & college edumacated after all.
i forgot about my 2 battery powered drills. 1 is a Black & Decker, the other is a Craftsman

that are used for small repairs around the house, not all day usage like a pro would need them for.

i had to buy cordless and lugging around a cord for up to the 75 feet i need to go to, is heavy.

however, i buy "home owners quality", not contractor or heavy duty tools.

meaning a lower price, less battery charge life, and throw away when the battery dies for good...

my state if i recall wants to eliminate all landscaping tools that require gasoline, and want corless instead.

good thing i only have a bush lined perimeter, and a corded trimmer.

but, it's going to cost landscaping companies LOTS of money to switch over, cuz they will need LOTS of back up batteries to go all day long, and here, they work from before sunrise, till way past sunset....and that meaning HIGHER prices for thier customers...

now tell me why rechargeable batteries are the way to go..???

Last edited:
i forgot about my 2 battery powered drills. 1 is a Black & Decker, the other is a Craftsman

that are used for small repairs around the house, not all day usage like a pro would need them for.

i had to buy cordless and lugging around a cord for up to the 75 feet i need to go to, is heavy.

however, i buy "home owners quality", not contractor or heavy duty tools.

meaning a lower price, less battery charge life, and throw away when the battery dies for good...

my state if i recall wants to eliminate all landscaping tools that require gasoline, and want corless instead.

good thing i only have a bush lined perimeter, and a corded trimmer.

but, it's going to cost landscaping companies LOTS of money to switch over, cuz they will need LOTS of back up batteries to go all day long, and here, they work from before sunrise, till way past sunset....and that meaning HIGHER prices for thier customers...

now tell me why rechargeable batteries are the way to go..???
Convenience, grab n go - why would anyone in their right mind pay nearly twice the cost of milk/whatever vs the local grocery store - any building or home improv project I do, far easier using battery powered brushless tools than corded.
However, outlawing (political speak ‘regulating’) gas powered equip for any purpose is flat wrong. I’m only addressing the differences of old school vs rechargeables. Not saying ‘your thinking is wrong if u use disposable batteries’ at all, just asking why are we dissing using rechargeables cuz like all things, including firearms, these things have pros & cons & individually we all gotta find our own comfort level. How often has there been posts of guys who would carry & shoot 45s but now tote & practice with 9mm cuz of these same pro/con balancing act of what’s best 4 them ? I’m not arrogant enough to tell anyone else what they should do even if I were Clint Smith, Elmer Keith, or Mas Ayoob. I’m on this forum to learn from more experienced or more gun crazy or knowledgeable dudes (or chicks). Haven’t seen anything etched on 2 stone tablets ( the 10 Suggestions), that I have to do without question, just cool guys sharing their ideas & knowledge.

Convenience, grab n go - why would anyone in their right mind pay nearly twice the cost of milk/whatever vs the local grocery store - any building or home improv project I do, far easier using battery powered brushless tools than corded.
However, outlawing (political speak ‘regulating’) gas powered equip for any purpose is flat wrong. I’m only addressing the differences of old school vs rechargeables. Not saying ‘your thinking is wrong if u use disposable batteries’ at all, just asking why are we dissing using rechargeables cuz like all things, including firearms, these things have pros & cons & individually we all gotta find our own comfort level. How often has there been posts of guys who would carry & shoot 45s but now tote & practice with 9mm cuz of these same pro/con balancing act of what’s best 4 them ? I’m not arrogant enough to tell anyone else what they should do even if I were Clint Smith, Elmer Keith, or Mas Ayoob. I’m on this forum to learn from more experienced or more gun crazy or knowledgeable dudes (or chicks). Haven’t seen anything etched on 2 stone tablets ( the 10 Suggestions), that I have to do without question, just cool guys sharing their ideas & knowledge.
rechargeable batteries, if left unused for along time, lose thier charge, so what do you gotta do..??

recharge them for that project you were in dire straits to do THAT day.

we simply go to the "spare parts drawer" (nearly everyone has at least 1, and get your fresh batteries. or wait for a long time for your rechargeables to...uh, recharge.??

you wanna learn from "more experienced or more gun crazy" people..?? ( i quoted you, you cannot remove that)

i certainly hope no one here is "gun crazy"...thanks for enlightening the anti 2 A people that are monitoring this and other gun sites, to the crazy gun owners.

handle guns much...??? respect what they can do if you are careless..??

it is more "convenient" to buy throw away batteries than pay the enormous prices of rechargeable, and the charging station. rechargeable batteries have a usage life as well, and thier costs will continue to go higher as well.

in the end, you cannot really be saving all that much.

especially if you forgot to recharge those batteries, or you let them run down, by not paying attention to thier care.

and further, many subjects started, get off track frequently, not just here, but other websites as well.

Last edited:
rechargeable batteries, if left unused for along time, lose thier charge, so what do you gotta do..??

we simply go to the "spare parts drawer" (nearly everyone has at least 1, and get your fresh batteries. or wait for a long time for your rechargeables to...uh, recharge.??

you wanna learn from "more experienced or more gun crazy" people..?? ( i quoted you, you cannot remove that)

i certainly hope no one here is "gun crazy"...thanks for enlightening the anti 2 A people that are monitoring this and other gun sites, to the crazy gun owners.

it is more "convenient" to buy throw away batteries than pay the enormous prices of rechargeable, and the charging station. rechargeable batteries have a usage life as well, and thier costs will continue to go higher as well.

especially if you forgot to recharge those batteries, or you let them run down, by not paying attention to thier care.

and further, many subjects started, get off track frequently, not just here, but other websites as well.
I have a system that keeps them charged on a rotation. Dry/low power batteries get put into the "charge " box until I'm down to 2 batteries. Charge time is 3-5hoursfor a 100% charge. Charger us 28 $ that charge 30 batteries (4 at a time).

I hear ur logic, I may not agree 💯 w/ ur reasoning or conclusions but I’m not mad u disagree w/ mine 🤷🏻‍♂️ ; ‘gun crazy’ just was me being envious of those able to buy more handguns than I can or have .. glad someone can & is willing to share them here; what I thought was harmless sarcasm using the term ‘gun crazy’ so my fault for not knowing anti 2As need more ammo ; also lithiums have minimal ‘memory’ & hold their charge a very long time so perhaps you’re thinking of Ni-cads (nickel cadmium) that were famous 4 losing charge & being dead when you’d wanna use them. Mine work when I use them & have others to swap out if needed - ya know, it’s almost like having spare mags for semi autos cuz never heard of anyone chucking a gun shot dry, drop, reload, drop the slide, acquire, squeeze, repeat.

I have a system that keeps them charged on a rotation. Dry/low power batteries get put into the "charge " box until I'm down to 2 batteries. Charge time is 3-5hoursfor a 100% charge. Charger us 28 $ that charge 30 batteries (4 at a time).
but that is you

how many other people are vigilant like that..???

3 to 5 hours of charge time, when someone neglects the batteries, and half the day is wasted for that project that had to be done.

not for me......spare parts drawer, fresh set, off to the races..!!!!!

I hear ur logic, I may not agree 💯 w/ ur reasoning or conclusions but I’m not mad u disagree w/ mine 🤷🏻‍♂️ ; ‘gun crazy’ just was me being envious of those able to buy more handguns than I can or have .. glad someone can & is willing to share them here; what I thought was harmless sarcasm using the term ‘gun crazy’ so my fault for not knowing anti 2As need more ammo ; also lithiums have minimal ‘memory’ & hold their charge a very long time so perhaps you’re thinking of Ni-cads (nickel cadmium) that were famous 4 losing charge & being dead when you’d wanna use them. Mine work when I use them & have others to swap out if needed - ya know, it’s almost like having spare mags for semi autos cuz never heard of anyone chucking a gun shot dry, drop, reload, drop the slide, acquire, squeeze, repeat.
even my and the wifes cell phones use lithium batteries..they run down.

Thought we were talking about guns and EDC stuff. This being a gun forum. Tools is a whole other thing. Not going into that at the moment, it would take too long.
i got mechanics tools, wood working tools, gunsmithing tools, and a teapot warming up some water for hot chocolate....

we got time.

that other "gun crap" can wait

i got mechanics tools, wood working tools, gunsmithing tools, and a teapot warming up some water for hot chocolate....

we got time.

that other "gun crap" can wait
Yeah, but there really isn't anything I can add of value to the conversation. I was a carpenter my whole life until 12 years ago and I still do plenty of it. I have more battery operated tools than I can even remember at the moment. Lots of DeWalt much to my chagrin, but that's only because I can get the batteries for free. I long ago put away the air framer, brad and trim nailers and started buying the cordless, fuel cell/battery guns. Big masonary hammers and drills are generally Bosch or Hilti.

Yeah, but there really isn't anything I can add of value to the conversation. I was a carpenter my whole life until 12 years ago and I still do plenty of it. I have more battery operated tools than I can even remember at the moment. Lots of DeWalt much to my chagrin, but that's only because I can get the batteries for free. I long ago put away the air framer, brad and trim nailers and started buying the cordless, fuel cell/battery guns. Big masonary hammers and drills are generally Bosch or Hilti.
it makes sense as a tradesman to have such equipment. back in the day, roofers used hammers, (i see some that still do), then they went to air operated tools, now battery.

but you can get things cheaper or free as you said.....homeowners many times aren't that lucky, nor need to spend big bucks for "contractor quality" tools, at higher prices, for the few times we use them.

making the switch to rechargeable batteries is yet another "green environmental" thing the gooberment is pushing on us..then too......not too many places take burnt out/worn out lithium batteries for recycling.

Vice on HBO did a story on the plight of stock piled lithium batteries at recycling yards

Back